What's new

Guide - Gunslinger Gunslinger Guide by Sage Leviathan

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Erron Black Gunslinger Guide (reposted for edits)
Version 1.3 (December 30 2016 7:34pm EST)

Chapter 1 - BnBs (or, What You’ll Read First Anyway):

Midscreen Enders: Tackle, Slide, Caltrops, Sand Grenade (SG)

Meterless Midscreen:
112, 21122~Ender

2112~SOS2, 21122~Ender
f1~SOS2, ...
b32~SOS2, ...

f24, d3~Tackle/Slide

NJP, f2~Glass, 21122~Ender
AAs1, 11, 21122~Ender
Air-to-air, 11, 21122~Ender

1 Bar Midscreen:
2112~EXSG, f2~Glass, 21122~Ender
f13~EXSG, ...
b32~EXSG, ...
12~EXSG, ...

f24~EXMidSG, 21122~Ender

*you can replace f2~Glass with f3~SOS2 for less damage

Meterless Corner:
112, 3~Glass, b33~SOS2, b33~Tackle/Cal

21122~Glass, 3~Glass, b33~SOS2, b33~Tackle = 38% optimal meterless

f24, d1, 11, 21122~Tackle
f24, d1~Glass, b33~SOS2, b33~Tackle

2112~SOS2/Glass, 3~Glass, b33~SOS2, b33~Ender
f13...
b32...

NJP, 4~Glass, b33~SOS2, b33~Ender
Air-to-air, 3~Glass, b33~SOS2, b33~Ender

1 Bar Corner:
2112~EXSG, 4~Glass, b33~SOS2, b33~Ender
f13...
b32...

Caltrops Corner Setups:
2112~Glass/SOS2, 3~Glass, NJP, f24~Cal
f13...
b32...

f24, d1~Glass, NJP, f24~Cal

2112~EXSG, 4~Glass, NJP, f24~Cal
f13...
b32...

Chapter 2 - Blockstrings:
Doing Nothing:

1, 11
b1, b12
f132
f24, f242
b32d1

Linking Something:

f1~SOS2
b32~SOS2

b12~SOS3/4
f13~SOS3/4
21122~SOS3/4
b32~SOS3/4

1~Tackle
11b3~Tackle
21~Tackle
b2~Tackle
d1~Tackle
d3~Tackle
d4~Tackle

12~EXSG
b12~EXSG
f13~EXSG
21122~EXSG
b32~EXSG

Nota Bene:

The final shot of SOS3 is interruptable with armor, or evaded with a backdash.

Opponents cannot armor through any string or normal linked into EXSG except the following: 1, 11, 11b3, f1, f12, f13, b33, 2, 21, 211, 2112. I know, strange list.

Chapter 3 - Notes and Tricks

-Doing EXTackle after 21122 is so satisfying.

-b12 (Pocket Sand) into EXSG catches people a lot for some reason.

-SOS2 is a great anti-air.

-Hit someone with Coins while they were jumping? Try to convert with d1~Tackle.

-Be careful with tick throws into command grab. They can be ducked or beaten with armor.

-Seriously, abuse SOS3. Just pay attention to who your opponent is and how much meter they’ve got.

-d1/d3/d4~SOS2/3/4 is a legitimate footsie tool.

-People like pushing buttons or mashing armor after EXSG on block. Doing a d4 should shut them up. Better yet, d1~EXTackle can sometimes beat their armor.

-Don’t zone with 32. What inspires people to do this?

Chapter 4 - Pros and Cons

Pros:
-builds meter quickly
-most normals are actually useful
-incredibly healthy mix-up game
-above average zoning due to mid-hitting projectile
-amazing oki in the game since most everything ends in a hard knockdown
-catches backdashes easily
-SOS has formidable options against armor
-SOS2 has the range of an Olympic javelin
-great d4
-command grab instills fear and forces respect
-tall hitbox means anti-airs and anti-cross-ups with s1 are easier

Cons:
-low combo starter has very poor range
-the first hit of 21122 can be poked under
-only armored reversals are EXSlide and EXTackle
-ironically has a hard time waking up against some characters

Last edited:
Just from skimming it I think there are a few meterless combos like f3 xx sos 2 rc 21122 after starter that are better midscreen, and I think the corner combos could be optimized a bit, but other than that it looks pretty good. Also, tackle isn't -2, it's +6 or so, the frame data is wrong, and why would you use b33 caltrops in the corner instead of f24? You get a HKD and better hit advantage.

Jolt

Uprise
Please. A guy in my clan has been using this stuff for months.

In all seriousness, thank you for sharing with the community. I hope that this teaches people to be the gunslinging cowboy mercenaries they always dreamed of being.

Bomborge

Aspiring scrub
I'm with @DownfouralitY .

Also, a lot of the 211xxtackle combos can do a bit more by cancelling into tackle onto the fourth hit of 21122.

Lastly, I think you should possibly add the damage next to each combo. I also feel adding the frame data and properties of his normal just kind of adds clutter to the guide. People can look this up on their own and I feel it is unnecessary. I think you also mean don't zone with 34 in your notes.

Other than all this, I think its a good starting guide.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
i can't explain block strings and close coin either but it works. Especially f13 close coin. I think everyone just anticipates exsg, and instead BOOM overhead and plus frames and your off to the races with pressure. I haven't played in a long time so I hope people haven't wised up lol.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I was expecting this all in dark Irange font I'm shocked!!!!

Good stuff, nice and sime I like it

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
This guide is superb.
I've been looking for a character who could compliment the way I used to play Tremor before they nuked his Rock Drop, and Gunslinger has been a perfect fit so far.
The command grab overall change had a strange side effect: it made dbf/dfb inputs way more consistent than they had previously been. Which was literally the only reason I never picked up EB to begin with, because I was horrible at getting the Tackle to come out right.

You make me so happy, Sage.

Also: It entertains me vastly that in his Apocalypse skin, adding the hat in Gunslinger makes him look almost exactly like Dennis, the villain Plankton hired in the Spongebob movie to prevent him and Patrick from reaching Shell City.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Are these BnB's optimized? I don't think they are, I can help provide them if need be.

NHDR

Noob
I wish I could play this character. Its hard for me to get anything to cancel out of 21122, I'm still not used to MKX's cancel window for certain moves and characters.

Ghosty1981

Dog will hunt!
This guide is superb.
I've been looking for a character who could compliment the way I used to play Tremor before they nuked his Rock Drop, and Gunslinger has been a perfect fit so far.
The command grab overall change had a strange side effect: it made dbf/dfb inputs way more consistent than they had previously been. Which was literally the only reason I never picked up EB to begin with, because I was horrible at getting the Tackle to come out right.

You make me so happy, Sage.

Also: It entertains me vastly that in his Apocalypse skin, adding the hat in Gunslinger makes him look almost exactly like Dennis, the villain Plankton hired in the Spongebob movie to prevent him and Patrick from reaching Shell City.
You'll be dropping caltrops at the worst times, trying to do Berserker Stance. ;)

Jolt

Uprise
Nope. And just like every other person who creates a combo thread, they don't update them.
You'll have to excuse @Sage Leviathan, he dropped this character although I totally told him he should keep playing Gunslinger. He might be nice enough to update the guide with optimal combos if someone provides them though? Not to put words into his mouth, I just know he's usually a nice guy.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I've been really struggling to find another character to play other than my main 2, then I thouuht "why havnt I been playing the fuckin ninja cowboy from the start?"

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
You'll be dropping caltrops at the worst times, trying to do Berserker Stance. ;)
Yo, get outta my thoughts because I seriously just did that the last set I played. Wanted to B33 Sand Grenade, ended up dropping the thumbtacks by mistake and ate a Slide.

This variation seems like it was made for pissing people off when they're unfamiliar with the fight. Bouncing coins and bullets and sand all over the damn place, I've literally had people just stop still because they didn't know what to jump over or away from.

Imagine if you could run cancel it like the Marksman rifle...it would be like an Oni Stryker.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Nope. And just like every other person who creates a combo thread, they don't update them.

Right off the bat, and please don't take this as a personal attack... you're not entitled to anything. I actually, seriously doubt I've helped anyone with this guide's creation in the first place. It was originally intended for Uprise but I made it public thinking others could benefit from it. I guess that makes me a prick? Whatever, don't give a shit.

That off my chest (and despite my personal desires), I'll be updating this guide, just like I'll be updating my Konjurer guide.

Thanks @MyronJ for providing some sort of answer. I've been having a character crisis for a while, and since leaving Erron Black on the shelf I have seen a lot of success.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
Right off the bat, and please don't take this as a personal attack... you're not entitled to anything. I actually, seriously doubt I've helped anyone with this guide's creation in the first place. It was originally intended for Uprise but I made it public thinking others could benefit from it. I guess that makes me a prick? Whatever, don't give a shit.

That off my chest (and despite my personal desires), I'll be updating this guide, just like I'll be updating my Konjurer guide.

Thanks @MyronJ for providing some sort of answer. I've been having a character crisis for a while, and since leaving Erron Black on the shelf I have seen a lot of success.
Nobody should cast shade on someone making the effort to do a guide. Thanks @Sage Leviathan for your effort. Nobody else took the time to do it, so I'm not sure why people get upset about this stuff.

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X

Relax you sensitive little baby. You haven't updated the thread since you posted it, is there disputing that?