What's new

Strategy Guise......Halp!!

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i can fight characters like bane to a stand still, yet i lose to jokers looping j2 over and over and throwing darn teeth everywhere. How am i getting ganked by the laughing stock of injustice? (pun intended)

could someone maybe possibly play me a set with their joker and record it or something so i can watch (along with anyone else) and maybe figure out what im doing wrong?

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i use aquaman, and they werent all that predictable, though i could guess a few things right. But no blocking the joker is easier said then done, especially when he's got near unblockable stuff that he can do to you over and over and over again. and his cross-over jump 2's are really hard to block too.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
i use aquaman, and they werent all that predictable, though i could guess a few things right. But no blocking the joker is easier said then done, especially when he's got near unblockable stuff that he can do to you over and over and over again. and his cross-over jump 2's are really hard to block too.
Crossup jumps aren't hard if you know they're going to crossups. Just hold the opposite direction.

Joker is a beast in the corner, stay away from there.

You can uppercut on reaction to him jumping. You can pretty much react to him doing anything lol :p

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i do use trait, but that doesnt help if i don't know which way to block, jokers jump 2 is weird, i can't tell where it connects because of how his leg looks, it looks like its gonna hit me in front but then hits me on the other side, its really weird.

how do i get him off of me in the corner?

Scott The Scot

i do use trait, but that doesnt help if i don't know which way to block, jokers jump 2 is weird, i can't tell where it connects because of how his leg looks, it looks like its gonna hit me in front but then hits me on the other side, its really weird.

how do i get him off of me in the corner?
Stop letting him jump all the time then, use upper cut and anti air him. AM's uppercut takes up half the screen so it shouldn't be too hard if you go to practice mode and record the AI joker jump 2'ing you. Use AM's range on his normals too your advantage.

No other Aquaman has trouble with this so obviously the problem is you're doing something wrong. Based on what you're saying, it sounds like you have trouble with cross ups or potentially ambigious crossups. You just have to block the correct direction.

Also, remember as well as trait, which I forgot about, you can also try pushblocking.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
As someone who has played The Joker since launch, my three biggest pieces of advice for playing a decent joker player are the following:

1) TECH ROLL (seriously). I'm always amazed at how many online players don't tech roll at all. Any good Joker player will tell you that tech rolling on knockdown essentially gets you out of the vast majority of his mid-screen teeth setups. (The big exception to this is his BGB teeth setup, which produces a hard knockdown, and thus, can not be tech-rolled and can only be escaped by a handful of wake-ups) Now, the corner is another issue entirely. As others have already noted, stay the hell out of the corner against The Joker.

2) Learn to consistently anti-air on reaction. This takes practice, but with Aquaman's ridiculously awesome d2 and normals in general, this shouldn't be too hard for you to get the hang of. The Joker arguably has the best air-normals in the game, but unfortunately, his lack of mobility and mediocre overall zoning force him to rely on jumping in far too often. Learn to Punish The Joker HARD for jumping in recklessly. It will hurt his overall effectiveness considerably against you.

3) Lastly, get comfortable blocking low up close and ducking past half screen. The Joker has no quick overhead launcher (This is why Joker players begged NRS for months and months to make his f2 an overhead, which would have drastically helped his competitive viability, IMO) and Gun (his only viable zoning tool) hits high.

Good Luck! (But not too much, because honestly, you won't need it after some practice with Aquaman, lol)

Last edited:

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
what about once he gets me in his pressure? anything to look out for? what to do besides push block.

and if he does manage to corner me, is there a trick to getting out?

Scott The Scot

what about once he gets me in his pressure? anything to look out for? what to do besides push block.

and if he does manage to corner me, is there a trick to getting out?
You have to look in the Joker forum and learn what moves hit where, what the timing is like for his setups. Fighting games are all about knowledge and logic. It's not always just block a certain way - sometimes it's like doomsdays earth shaker: block high then low within a few frames. Knowledge is power my friend. But so is MB B3 :p

If he's pressuring you, deal with it! You need to know how the mechanics of the game works, how many frames of advantage you have or if there's a gap for your to poke out of. No trick, just learning my friend. Each set-up is different of course, there might even be a 50/50 were you have to guess. Study the corner set-ups and you should know how to get out.

Last edited:

OnlineRon91

Joker++
I don't play the game anymore but Aquaman's D2 beats Joker's J2 clean. If he manages to hit you, then use Aquaman's trait once he spends the meter to use Rolling Laughing Gas. That's really it. He can't approach by the ground because you have better footsies, he cant use his gun outside of full screen because you can punish it on whiff (not block). We have Joker guides here that go through his setups and how to block them. Good luck.

Last edited: