What's new

Guide - Marksman Guide To All Things Marksman (before it became trash)

InFlames

dead
Combos using EX Swing uses up alot of stamina so if you do them after a run cancel you will most likely drop the combo, and doing EX SG off b33/f13 is better than Swing. I find its only really worth it in the corner like HeroesNZ mentioned.

D4G

Win At All Cost
Combos using EX Swing uses up alot of stamina so if you do them after a run cancel you will most likely drop the combo, and doing EX SG off b33/f13 is better than Swing. I find its only really worth it in the corner like HeroesNZ mentioned.
That makes sense, I definitely know the feeling of dropping a combo because of stamina being low. It's going to be hard for me to break the habit of going into gunswing but I'm going to try to transition to the Sand grenade combos. Thanks.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
That makes sense, I definitely know the feeling of dropping a combo because of stamina being low. It's going to be hard for me to break the habit of going into gunswing but I'm going to try to transition to the Sand grenade combos. Thanks.
well its important to learn the rifle swing combos, especially the ones that don't take up stamina at all, like f13xdb2, f12xxbf4/dbf2.

The main reason why gun cancels work however is the threat of an EX SG, so having a bar in the bank is always more important, unless you are going for the kill

Last edited:

D4G

Win At All Cost
well its important to learn the rifle swing combos, especially the ones that don't take up stamina at all, like f13xdb2, f12xxbf4/dbf2
Playing online, that combo is useless to me. I do get what you mean though. My entire BnB portfolio is comprised of only Swing combos. I think I've used Ex Sand grenade less than 10 times since I've been playing Erron. It's Something I really need to incorporate to my game.

wsj515

Playing online, that combo is useless to me. I do get what you mean though. My entire BnB portfolio is comprised of only Swing combos. I think I've used Ex Sand grenade less than 10 times since I've been playing Erron. It's Something I really need to incorporate to my game.
Yeah you better get on that then, its pretty paramount to EB's game in all 3 variations. By useless, do you mean the lag makes it impossible to land? I really don't think its that bad, but I guess that was the BnB before gun cancels were known so I've had a lot of time to get it down...

D4G

Win At All Cost
Yeah you better get on that then, its pretty paramount to EB's game in all 3 variations. By useless, do you mean the lag makes it impossible to land? I really don't think its that bad, but I guess that was the BnB before gun cancels were known so I've had a lot of time to get it down...
Its fine for me offline but the connections online are so abysmall it makes it impossible for me. Playing marksman in any kind of connection other than a 4 bar is a no go for me.

When you say paramount to his game, how do you mean? I was just planning to incorporate into combos, as @InFlames suggested. I understand 21122 and 11B2 into Ex sand grenade are great for keeping up pressure but I opt to save the meter for combos. I guess i dont use it often because I dont usually have a problem opening up my opponents and getting the hit.

Now let's get onto Marksman specific 21122 pressure. 21122 is -1 on block so the opponent might wanna press buttons afterwards. 21122 xx DB2 will beat any poke attempt so you can use this to condition the opponent to stop poking as it launches for a full combo. However if they expect a DB2 then you can use 21122 GC to keep the pressure on. If they start getting wise and try to armour through then you can either GC into block and punish the armour attempt, or cancel 21122 into EX SG and launch them for a full combo. The same can be done with B32.[/Spoiler]
I was able to poke out of 21122 xx DB2 with Kung Jin's D4, which is 9f. Are you sure that cancel can't be interrupted?

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
I was able to poke out of 21122 xx DB2 with Kung Jin's D4, which is 9f. Are you sure that cancel can't be interrupted?
It can be low profiled. Scorpion's takedown interrupts it but Reptile's dash doesn't. Either that or some other random stuff like hitboxes and random blockstun or whatever.

Last edited:
Anyone want to play a game? Go to training mode and turn on infinite Engery Meter and see how many times u can do f13 GC into f13 GC, same with b33 GC into B33 GC into B33 GC. I like doing this as a warmup when i get on MKX and i think it will help any new person with cancels. Record how many times you can do each without dropping :) .

Edit: Of course try to make you cancels as tight as possible which is the purpose of this training game as well.

Funny you mention that. This is related in a way but i think if everyone doesnt alrdy know alrdy but you should stop using 11b3 in general now. I used it for the CG / ex SG mixup but you can jump foward every option on 11b3(tark stab, CG, ex SG) except SS. However 11b3 SS can be cr jabbed out of easily on reaction. Now 11b3 slide cant be jumped foward on but come on thats so risky. Also 11b3 gc on block seems punishable by 8f moves. Im doing the block string into GC and blocking immediately and still punishing it with errons own 11 or 21122.

Last edited:
Funny you mention that. This is related in a way but i think if everyone doesnt alrdy know alrdy but you should stop using 11b3 in general now. I used it for the CG / ex SG mixup but you can jump foward every option on 11b3(tark stab, CG, ex SG) except SS. However 11b3 SS can be cr jabbed out of easily on reaction. Now 11b3 slide cant be jumped foward on but come on thats so risky. Also 11b3 gc on block seems punishable by 8f moves. Im doing the block string into GC and blocking immediately and still punishing it with errons own 11 or 21122.
Im not really planning to use it , im just wondering to why i couldn't land it constently

wsj515

Small meter saving tip mid screen, I see a lot of people using the combo starterxxExbf3 f3xxdb2 RC 21122xxender. The RC is completely unnecessary, you can connect 21122 just fine without moving forward. As anyone knows who plays this variation, every bit of stamina counts.

Noob
How do you properly run cancel?

I do FF~R2+Down. Is that the right way? If I just do FF Erron just keeps running lol.

I do FF~R2+Down. Is that the right way? If I just do FF Erron just keeps running lol.
Are you talking about just doing a run cancel not canceled into any string? If yes then yeah , but you could also do ff r2 Block then unblock immediately

Tweedy

Noob

Yeah you run with FF - R2, then you literally cancel it into something, so in the case of down, you're cancelling it with a crouch. You can also cancel it with a hit or just by blocking, or even jumping I suppose.

Hope this helped. Run cancelling with a special is just like normally run cancelling, you just have to get down the timing on when you can run, after you've inputted the special. Some characters can run immediately like Hellfire Scorpion, some take a lot of frames before you can input the run, like A List Cage. Marksmen is probably in the middle.