What's new

Tech Grundy wants pants too

Since playing on Arturo's stream the other day, quite a few people have been hitting me up through various channels asking for Grundy info. I really want people to play the game and the characters THEIR way. So while I won't give a full break down, I will give a few nuggets to get you started with Grundy.

How to get in - To be effective with Grundy you MUST get in. His best tool is walking corpse(b,f,3) however it's not safe. The move has 4 hits of armor, however it can be avoided by a simple neutral or forward jump. Learning when to use walking corpse is critical to Grundy success. Landing a meter burn walking corpse starts Grundy's guessing game. Keep in mind your opponent CAN wakeup attack. So after landing the mb walking corpse you have a lot of options. Meaty f+1,3,4(power) is my favorite, however risky when facing a character with a strong wakeup such as Green Lantern's lift.

Another great way and probably my favorite is using meter burn swamp hands as a projectile parry. If timed correctly Grundy won't be in any hit stun and will have time to dash across the screen.

Chain throws - Getting a chain throw buff early in match is also critical for success. Knowing which one to go for is key as well. The Health Chain does the most damage by itself, followed by Power and then Defense. I normally use the Health chain because of it's damage output and because the buff Grundy gets is great. When facing a strong zoner though, its best to go for the Defense chain so they don't chip you out. I find that the Power chain is best if your rolling over your opponent. Some may want to use it if down on life in hopes of a comeback. I actually think when your down on life its best to keep with Health or Defense chain.

Movement - Grundy has one of the best forward dashes in the game, he also has one of the worst jumps. This lets you know right away how your suppose to move on the screen with him. Being that he has a anti air throw, you wanna stay on the ground and keep jumping to knockdown advantage and or combo's.

Combos - No meter - F+1,3,F+1,4, health chain. Meter - 1,1,db2+mb,b+3,b+1,bf2+mb,f+1,3,4, Health chain

SevenSeas

I'm a big guy, for you.
I never get a proper answer to this. How do you input his chain grabs? Is it hard? Do you know when to do it?

For all of his Chains I do the first input right after he grabs them in the air, the second input varies depending on the chain. For Health I do the second input right after he slams them down, for Power I do it after he lifts them up by the head(this is when he says Born on Monday), and for Defense I do the second input when he lifts them in the air.

SevenSeas

I'm a big guy, for you.
For all of his Chains I do the first input right after he grabs them in the air, the second input varies depending on the chain. For Health I do the second input right after he slams them down, for Power I do it after he lifts them up by the head(this is when he says Born on Monday), and for Defense I do the second input when he lifts them in the air.
Is it indicated somehow or is it simple down to knowledge and experience?

Trial and error, also to get Solomon to do the poem you have to do the Power chain if you hear say "Solomon Grundy" as he throws opponent in air.

I might post a video later tonight Explaining the timing on all of Grundy's chain throws. Hopefully NRS doesn't bop me for that seeing as the game is within hours of release?

KingOko

Was it good for you?
This is what ive been waiting for. I got into practice mode with grundy yesterday and had no idea how to link any of his stuff. When i get back from work, im hittin the lag :D

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I really like Grundy so far. I'm probably going to work on him first even though aquaman will be my true main. Good stuff