What's new

Strategy Grundy Hate Hadoukens (Grundy vs Zoning)

Gruff757

The Gruff
I think we should go ahead and discuss what to do against zoning because we all know it will be a problem.

So what I guess I can start off with some(obvious) tools he has to help combat zoners

>A godlike dash that covers a shit ton of distance

>Swamp Hands (DB2) - Low Tracking Special that Knocks down opponents on hit and is +1 on Block
- MB: Armored, Low, Tracking, Holds Opponent in Place long enough for followups, +2 on Block
~Pretty good for making the opponent jump into a situation they do not want

>Walking Corpse(BF3) - Armored, Cancelable(DB), Advancing Grab that deals nasty damage and knocks the opponent away
-MB: Deals additional damage and throws the opponent behind Grundy
~Great move to put opponents in the corner

Lets turn this zombie into a freight train folks

B,F+3 is his best gap closer and the meter burn version lets you get a free D,B+3 and a Ji1/2 to start a combo if you time it correctly. Getting in still requires a bit of patience though. Once inside his fastest normals are d2,3, and d1,3.

loogie

Noob
I am having problems vs Deathstrokes... on top of his machine gun barrage he is just too mobile. By the time I get in and start offense he already takes like 40% of my lifebar. and if Grundy does the bf3 grab to go through the projectiles, it has to be cancellable version otherwise the whiff on the grab is horrid and you are left open for a jump in and get blown up!
First few games, I wasn't patient enough and got my ass handed to me, but then started to get used to the matchup and gave him a good run. it still ended 0-4 so this might be one of his bad matchups.
vs Nightwing who can also zone with his stupid air shurkin stuff and ground stuff, matchup is more tolerable ended up 2-1 to Grundy.

Another thing I noticed, is that ji3 is beating my airgrab and uppercut - uppercut is 8 frames, so it's a hell of a good tool and you can link in a 11 into chain grab,etc. vs characters who have a weird jumping arc (shorter and faster) like Nightwing in staff stance, the air grab is getting stuffed! either comes out early or i get hit from distance and the grab doesn't connect.
alot of times we are 'trading' the hits, so I get hit with the ji3 and he gets hit with the uppercut!!!

Got a question on the MB SwampHands: when does the armor start, because i was getting hit out of the animation alot and might have lost meter as well doing that. how many hits of armor is there? i dont believe it's the same as the WalkingCorpse (bf3).

loogie

Noob
about SH, you can fake it out by doing a b2 and bait them into committing to a jump or a movement.
it works a bit like Noob's b1 to get them to react

IIWade3II

Kuff Botal
I read something about walking corpse being cancellable but I havent been able to do it. I actually feel like this MU isnt terible. Once you get Stroke into the corner ive GG'ed it everytime. Grundies mixups are godlike and most of Strokes wakeup options arent safe it seems.

Big Frog

Noob
Grundy vs Deathstroke seems to be the worst, IMO. That or Aquaman.

Best tactic so far seems to be waiting out until they get bored lolol

Korbidon

Noob
I read something about walking corpse being cancellable but I havent been able to do it. I actually feel like this MU isnt terible. Once you get Stroke into the corner ive GG'ed it everytime. Grundies mixups are godlike and most of Strokes wakeup options arent safe it seems.
If you press down then back during WC you can cancel it. You have a ton of time as well.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Grundy vs Deathstroke seems to be the worst, IMO. That or Aquaman.

Best tactic so far seems to be waiting out until they get bored lolol
Not really, you just have to be careful and read REO's thread.

Swamp Hands is your best friend in this matchup because it can make Deathstroke jump, and when he jumps you have the ability to get in or time your ex swamp hands.

Edit: However I do think Aquaman is really fuckin bad for Grundy...

Gruff757

The Gruff

Swamp Hands is your best friend in this matchup because it can make Deathstroke jump, and when he jumps you have the ability to get in or time your ex swamp hands.

nah man superman and his friggin trait lol

Owerbart

I miss you
I am having problems vs Deathstrokes... on top of his machine gun barrage he is just too mobile. By the time I get in and start offense he already takes like 40% of my lifebar. and if Grundy does the bf3 grab to go through the projectiles, it has to be cancellable version otherwise the whiff on the grab is horrid and you are left open for a jump in and get blown up!
First few games, I wasn't patient enough and got my ass handed to me, but then started to get used to the matchup and gave him a good run. it still ended 0-4 so this might be one of his bad matchups.
vs Nightwing who can also zone with his stupid air shurkin stuff and ground stuff, matchup is more tolerable ended up 2-1 to Grundy.

Another thing I noticed, is that ji3 is beating my airgrab and uppercut - uppercut is 8 frames, so it's a hell of a good tool and you can link in a 11 into chain grab,etc. vs characters who have a weird jumping arc (shorter and faster) like Nightwing in staff stance, the air grab is getting stuffed! either comes out early or i get hit from distance and the grab doesn't connect.
alot of times we are 'trading' the hits, so I get hit with the ji3 and he gets hit with the uppercut!!!

Got a question on the MB SwampHands: when does the armor start, because i was getting hit out of the animation alot and might have lost meter as well doing that. how many hits of armor is there? i dont believe it's the same as the WalkingCorpse (bf3).
Swamphands MB seem to have less armor than walking corpse, as far as I've been testing, it has armor for 1 hit.

I played little against Deathstroke but the idea is to use Swampgas a lot, so your mixups become more efficient. End your throws and AAgrabs in gas if you can. Against Deathstroke bullets the key is to know the exact distance on when to go for walking corpse before he puts his guns down and escape.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.

Your sig ruined my night.

Man I was using Gruny, and I was feeling like a boss, then I fought a DeathStroke player.

Cant do shit, can armor through, cant get close, cant jump over him(twirling sword move that's basically a flash kick), cant swamp hands because his guns are faster.

any tips?

lindonty

Emperor Warchild
I don't have a problem with zoning with Grundy. Walking corpse with the cancels and get grundys extra defence trait if you have to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ELC

Scrublord McGee
Grundy don't care about most zoning. It's the multi-hit specials (including pressure tools like Aquaman's DF1 and NWs Staff whirl). Walking Corpse Armor works wonders.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Grundy don't care about most zoning. It's the multi-hit specials (including pressure tools like Aquaman's DF1 and NWs Staff whirl). Walking Corpse Armor works wonders.
This is what I've been using.... and it rapes.... super hard lol.... I've found that WCC into 1,1,2 works....a lot.... he gets 3 hits of armor for free and that is MORE than enough to get around even the best zoners.

Gruff757

The Gruff
great way to practice getting in is simply going to training and setting someone like deathstroke on very hard and practicing you WCCs and hit confirming 112 on hit and block like @STBCharlieMurphy suggested in another thread