What's new

Grodd's Stampede Cancel Guide

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Exactly... Stampede Cancels were clearly designed to be an integral part of this character so if only < 1% of all dedicated Grodd mains can even do them consistently then something is clearly wrong.

EDIT: I really hope NRS is taking notes we'll find out when the first major balance patch drops I guess...
Bingo. Omega is the exception, not the rule and that's a big problem for Grodd.

If for whatever reason the window of the cancel isnt improved, they really need to shrink or remove the gap in 22. I've been thinking about 22 and testing with it and it's fucking broken when you cant consistently execute the stampede cancel. I mean...did you guys realize that every character in the game can MBB3 the gap? Any character with a 6 frame D1 can D1 into full combo, and some characters like Flash can just mash D2 and get a combo.

There's no string that we can use if we cant do cancels. How fucking STUPID is that? I'm considering making a big post on the relationship between stampede cancel and 22 and how Grodd needs a fix. You guys think it's too early for something like that?

Skedar70

Noob
Bingo. Omega is the exception, not the rule and that's a big problem for Grodd.

If for whatever reason the window of the cancel isnt improved, they really need to shrink or remove the gap in 22. I've been thinking about 22 and testing with it and it's fucking broken when you cant consistently execute the stampede cancel. I mean...did you guys realize that every character in the game can MBB3 the gap? Any character with a 6 frame D1 can D1 into full combo, and some characters like Flash can just mash D2 and get a combo.

There's no string that we can use if we cant do cancels. How fucking STUPID is that? I'm considering making a big post on the relationship between stampede cancel and 22 and how Grodd needs a fix. You guys think it's too early for something like that?
I agree. I even said before. The AI is doing stampede cancel combos so I'm pretty sure its intended to be used so this isn't even a buff but an actual fix.

With people who know how negative the 22 string is and how you can easily punish the gap you have no options.

OmegaK showed one video doing them consistently but I really doubt this can translate into a real match so easily.

These cancels need adjustment or they will never be used. Coach steve doesn't use them and tyrant does them with a hitbox and even he misses it at times.

Last edited:

DeftMonk

Noob
Ya I have set all the chars up with 10/10 combo presets and watch them fight. Grodd is the only one that is obviously not human when you watch this. Homie is hitting stuff like 112 sc 112 sc d1 stampede over and over.

If they are gonna keep the timing so strict it would be nice if the timing was same on hit and block because that is another thing that makes it wicked hard to use in a match

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Didnt someone post that the cancel window is only 3 frames? Where did I read that on here? I'd love to confirm that for a write up.

Found it.

The reason why this is so difficult is because you have to have to input the cancel before the first active frame of the charge. so inputting ff/bb within like 3 or less frames is rediculous lol.
Yo Mike, I'm trying to figure out the math here. How did you come up with this number?

Last edited:

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I'm getting better at them in actual matches. Obviously doing them in practice and in the heat of the moment is two different things but I am getting there. I have some matches with 0 execution errors and it feels really good, then in others I'll maybe mess up a cancel or two, but I am seeing good progress.

They aren't the be all end all of Grodd, but I'm noticing they help a lot.

BassCase

Noob
So he's the only character with a command grab that you can't tick throw and the damage of it is lower than any other character? Leap is pretty easy to deal with too.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
leap is pretty easy to deal with thats true. Skullcrusher (leaping grab) is actually pretty good though. You can set up resets at range with it, you get an unblockable setup with it if you do 22xxfloatxxpulse and then shortleap into grab. Aside from it occasionally whiffing on ducking characters its one of the few things about grodd that i feel works properly.

Plus snatching some dumb bastard superman out of the air is soo satisfying.

sranc

creep
The damage is higher than any other command grab if you have a bar to spend.

Edit: more damage cause you can combo off it, don't blow me up for level 3 mb bane bomb or something.

Last edited:

BassCase

Noob
I know he's not a grappler. I wonder why he wasn't a grappler hybrid kind of like Cheetah. I'm not complaining, just discussing.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I've found the secret to perfect, consistent, crispy Stampede Cancels is instead of spending hours and hours practicing them snd slowly getting better.. it's to just go to the forums and talk about easy they are while providing no proof of ever getting them in matches consistently.

Like this, watch.

Man if you struggle with this shit then you musta not have played *insert reference here* cause this shit is easy, I get em all the time. Y'all just need to git dat gud'

See? Perfect every time .

I've found the secret to perfect, consistent, crispy Stampede Cancels is instead of spending hours and hours practicing them snd slowly getting better.. it's to just go to the forums and talk about easy they are while providing no proof of ever getting them in matches consistently.

Like this, watch.

Man if you struggle with this shit then you musta not have played *insert reference here* cause this shit is easy, I get em all the time. Y'all just need to git dat gud'

pretty much everyone who doesnt play the character

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
The advanced version is to then respond to the requests for vids with a long winded story about your video card breaking because your mothers cat got struck by lightning and shorted out your toaster and thst blew the outlet the PS4 was on.

Skedar70

Noob

Like this, watch.

I can do them. But it has taken me a lot of hours of practice and still I need to warmup for around 30 minutes everyday before I play anybody to get them or else I will miss them mid match. I dont think they are easy since I have to remind my hands how to do them everyday. I will still miss a few mid match.

Even if you have the cancels on point the character still struggles.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
I can do them. But it has taken me a lot of hours of practice and still I need to warmup for around 30 minutes everyday before I play anybody to get them or else I will miss them mid match. I dont think they are easy since I have to remind my hands how to do them everyday. I will still miss a few mid match.

Even if you have the cancels on point the character still struggles.
Thats the real bother here. If his input ceiling was this high and he was still pretty strong overall it would be ok but this is an assload of work just to stay safe and maintain pressure, and on top of that if you miss the cancel and hit the opponent stampede is like -14 for a free easy punish.

TRG

Grodd God
My opinion of the cancels have changed. I honestly can't believe how consistent I've gotten these down with enough practice. At first I thought I'd never get it but I'm at the point now where I can go entire matches without messing up an input. There's a certain rhythm to it that becomes muscle memory with enough practice.

Grodd definitely still needs buffs (get rid of those damn gaps), but I won't be upset if the cancel window doesn't get increased.

Buiu

Woot
I got a Hitbox only to play grodd( i was a stick player).Man... the cancels is SO much easier, i just double tap the cancel..i will clip a video to show you guys...

The problem is the learn curve. of the neutral/execution , but its Worth it for sure.

Enviado de meu ASUS_Z012DC usando Tapatalk

Belial

Noob
So did anyone do a solid test ? To me it seems cancel adv depend on block range slightly. I could b2 b2 vs flash fists of fury(8fr) reversal at tip range but never at close range. Though it might be this special move properties as I never had trade hit not once

Does anyone have any timing tips to get his cancel to work on block? When the normal strings hit I can cancel to continue the combo pretty decently, but on block I can't get his stampede to cancel.... literally 0-100 with that. Does the inpput to cancel the stampede coming earlier on block or what?

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
Does anyone have any timing tips to get his cancel to work on block? When the normal strings hit I can cancel to continue the combo pretty decently, but on block I can't get his stampede to cancel.... literally 0-100 with that. Does the inpput to cancel the stampede coming earlier on block or what?
Stampede cancel isn't easy to do and its even harder if opponent is crouch blocking.
When they're standing and blocking there is a chance where the opponent may walk back slightly during the gap. Which gives Grodd enough space to cancel the stampede.
Practice the cancel on bigger characters considering they have bigger collision boxes it may help with the timing.

Belial

Noob
Stampede cancel isn't easy to do and its even harder if opponent is crouch blocking.
When they're standing and blocking there is a chance where the opponent may walk back slightly during the gap. Which gives Grodd enough space to cancel the stampede.
Practice the cancel on bigger characters considering they have bigger collision boxes it may help with the timing.
as far as i can tell, cancel timing does not depend on distance from opponent
there is small difference of timing on block or hit, which may cause stampede to come out on hit but get cancelled on block(due to natural difference in block and hit stun), which allows to OS armor attempts.

Last edited:

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
as far as i can tell, cancel timing does not depend on distance from opponent
If nrs change the timing of when you can cancel the stampede or decrease the stampede collision box the distance wouldn't matter as much but the way cancel frames are setup after stampede is activated it kind of does matter, especially if opponent has wide collision box.