What's new

Grodd's Stampede Cancel Guide

|Phantom|

"Scarab says you suck!"
The reason why this is so difficult is because you have to have to input the cancel before the first active frame of the charge. so inputting ff/bb within like 3 or less frames is rediculous lol.
I haven't gotten good enough to play Grodd in ranked or anything like that yet. But even just in practice mode, I'm hitting the cancel maybe 5-6/10 times, on a hitbox controller. I couldn't imagine doing it on a pad tbh... That seems like it would brutally difficult

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
If you press the analog stick and the D-pad at the same time, you can do these consistently.
That said, doing so is RIDICULOUS. The input just should not be a dash, it should be holding back or forward.

DeftMonk

Noob
The reason why this is so difficult is because you have to have to input the cancel before the first active frame of the charge. so inputting ff/bb within like 3 or less frames is rediculous lol.
Do u need to input both f's or just the second one? Can u buffer the first one during hit/block stun of the normal? I use a hitbox and the way I do it is (regardless of which side I'm on) I hit right on the dpad with left hand and then again with right hand. If that's the only way then I would assume it's nigh impossible to do on a controller.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I'm on pad and started getting them consistently lately, at least in practice mode lol. The trick is to do stampede at the last possible point in the string rather than dialing the string and stampede in straight away.

So for example; you dial in 112, as the 2 is about to connect press bf3bb as fast as possible. Obviously there is still a knack to the timing but once I started doing this it made a massive difference.

If it helps, take a look at my inputs in this video
https://twitter.com/PNDOmegaK/status/873898891132973056

DeftMonk

Noob
That is one way @omegak just like the way I listed where u do the sc early with the string then just hit Ff quick after the frame the last normal connects. Whatever trick u can find to work for you in the end is what you should use. Just like whatever you have to do so that you don't accidently get a reversal while going for a string.

All in all it just speaks volumes for the input system of this game that players have to do this kind of stuff to get around the crappy system that's in place. Hell I can do any combo in guilty gear way easier than this stuff with practice because to a point I feel the system is just flawed here and that makes practicing certain things not useful.

The one cancel I really want to get down is the one I have the least success with which is just d1sc. I think that would help a bit in footsies when ur just out of range or not +enough to be any threat.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
You all should try inputting 4 directions instead of 2. See how your results differ. Sometimes it works better for me, not sure why.

So try b2bf3 F/Bx4 instead of F/Bx2.

Wow at first I thought you guys were all over exaggerating how hard this was but it is seriously too hard to do consistently. Please buff him nrs

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
thats pretty bonkers. I would like to see him using them in amatch effectively tho. Would be interesting if it worked well. But that is some serious precision! nj omegak!
Started using 112 sc and 22 sc in matches, the plus frames from 112 are really good for throw baiting since 22 punishes button presses if they try to tech or backdash the throw afterwards. Still incorporating b2 sc but as soon as I do it means I don't have to commit to b2 leap hallelujah.

Last edited:

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Started using 112 sc and 22 sc in matches, the plus frames from 112 are really good for throw baiting since 22 punishes button presses if they try to tech or backdash the throw afterwards. Still incorporating b2 sc but as soon as I do it means I don't have to commit to b2 leap hallelujah.
It's too bad B2~SC doesnt lead to a combo of any kind.

Does anyone duck your 112 stuff? I feel like every time I use 112 they seem to always poke me.

DeftMonk

Noob
It's too bad B2~SC doesnt lead to a combo of any kind.

Does anyone duck your 112 stuff? I feel like every time I use 112 they seem to always poke me.
After seeing this stuff I started using 112sc and 2sc in matches with my friends. The best way I found these to work is: In a combo I normally end in a b2 db1 2 so I can get a semi vortex. I was using 112 here (ofc got blocked) for the +frames to do some different shanigans than normal. Also if people interrupt 22 with d1 I found a solution here with 2 sc b3. Grodd kinds leans back and the d1 whiffs then they get plowed. Would love to hear from u guys any other situations.

I haven't gotten good enough to play Grodd in ranked or anything like that yet. But even just in practice mode, I'm hitting the cancel maybe 5-6/10 times, on a hitbox controller. I couldn't imagine doing it on a pad tbh... That seems like it would brutally difficult
I have just listened to ppl whine about this, I haven't lived the struggle myself yet. But this! ^THIS^ scares me

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Lets see those in some online matches then I'll be a believer.
That's just it. Online it feels different and the risk far outweighs the reward of using it. I understand @PND OmegaK seems to be able to do this reliably but can anyone else? Is he the only person on the entire planet that can do it that way?

People are going to continue to just say "get gud"...I dont know about you guys, but I've put in a lot of hours practicing this cancel, when I sometimes wish I had just picked up a different character so I could actually just go play the fucking game. There's no reason for the window to be as tight and unforgiving as it is. This isnt A-List Cage that was like +12 after 114~SKRC, the reward isnt as great and that shit took work to learn but was definitely easier to do in the long run.

Reactions: TRG

|Phantom|

"Scarab says you suck!"
That's just it. Online it feels different and the risk far outweighs the reward of using it. I understand @PND OmegaK seems to be able to do this reliably but can anyone else? Is he the only person on the entire planet that can do it that way?

People are going to continue to just say "get gud"...I dont know about you guys, but I've put in a lot of hours practicing this cancel, when I sometimes wish I had just picked up a different character so I could actually just go play the fucking game. There's no reason for the window to be as tight and unforgiving as it is. This isnt A-List Cage that was like +12 after 114~SKRC, the reward isnt as great and that shit took work to learn but was definitely easier to do in the long run.
Even Heavy Weapons Jax, Hellfire Scorpion, and flame fist Liu's cancels were easeier than this.

Esp HW. that shit was like butter after about an hour of practice... :-/

TRG

Grodd God

Exactly... Stampede Cancels were clearly designed to be an integral part of this character so if only < 1% of all dedicated Grodd mains can even do them consistently then something is clearly wrong.

EDIT: I really hope NRS is taking notes we'll find out when the first major balance patch drops I guess...

|Phantom|

"Scarab says you suck!"
Exactly... Stampede Cancels were clearly designed to be an integral part of this character so if only < 1% of all dedicated Grodd mains can even do them consistently then something is clearly wrong.

EDIT: I really hope NRS is taking notes we'll find out when the first major balance patch drops I guess...
If all goes to plan, there will be quite a few changes for every character... It will be interesting to see what they have learned from the initial player feedback