What's new

Grodd's Stampede Cancel Guide

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I've also used 22 SC into throw. Seems to work a high percentage of the time as most opponents aren't expecting you to cancel Stampede.
I have NO doubt that once these cancels are perfected, Grodd will reach a new level of awesome. People arent even using them in combos yet. For instace, a hypothetical combo: 221+3(MB), 112~SC, B2~DF1B, J2, DF1B, J2

I mean, there has to be more to the cancel...

Last edited:

huh

Noob
I wish we could buffer the D2 right after the cancel. The hardest part is to time the D2, for me. You guys have any tips, visual clues, or it's just a case of developing muscular memory?

Sometimes I can hit like 5 in a row, but then, after a while, it doesn't come out. I could cancel and chain strings without problems with Kabal and Kratos in MK9, and Hellfire Scorpion in MKX, but Grodd's are really hard. Have you guys being able to make it consistent enough for practical use in a match? Online?

TRG

Grodd God
Been trying to get this ish down for the past few days on and off... Major props to any player who can pull these off consistently in online matches.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Been trying to get this ish down for the past few days on and off... Major props to any player who can pull these off consistently in online matches.
Yeah I can still only do it like 50% of the time. Still too afraid to try it in a match.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
So hard :( My success rate is like 30%

I just wanna do 22 cancel and everytime I think i have an inkling of a timing put down its wrong. I can try to be precise or I can try to mash bb/ff as fast as I can and nothing really sticks.

Lanqu

Noob
SC is not consistent. Just record it and look how it is not consistent. It is distance dependent and is not usefull in real fight. I start thinking that Grodd would be fine if SC got fixed and allow some pressure, then he would probable be top 5-8. Now he is like top 15-20.
- Almost 0 mixup
- Block strings are minus and have lots of gaps
- No forward advance strings
- trait next to useless (dmg is ok without it, doesn't work full screen, almost no comeback potential, mixup potential is all-in) = no much sense to use
- 1 OH with 0 range
- No get in, because leap is so predictable and can be AA'ed
- Shitty normals
- As a result - low neutral game

Last edited:

GTDoffen

Meet your fate...
The cancel timing is different on hit and block. The timing of the cancel is dependent on the cancel window of the normal/string you want to use.
Really fun and interesting concept, but a lot of work for a somewhat little reward.

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
We have an Adam, who press 1 button and have insane damage anywhere on screen, You can play him with closed eyes and Grodd - u must sweat, have no reallife, no job, all time to learning cancels... and u will learn, how to play Grodd - middletier.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
SC is not consistent. Just record it and look how it is not consistent. It is distance dependent and is not usefull in real fight. I start thinking that Grodd would be fine if SC got fixed and allow some pressure, then he would probable be top 5-8. Now he is like top 15-20.
- Almost 0 mixup
- Block strings are minus and have lots of gaps
- No forward advance strings
- 1 OH with 0 range
- No get in, because leap is so predictable and can be AA'ed
- Shitty normals
- As a result - low neutral game
You forgot the part where his trait is next to useless...

Lanqu

Noob
We have an Adam, who press 1 button and have insane damage anywhere on screen, You can play him with closed eyes and Grodd - u must sweat, have no reallife, no job, all time to learning cancels... and u will learn, how to play Grodd - middletier.
Yeah, that what I thought about after ~10h of labbing SC. Not worth it.
SC must become bufferable to give a life to that tech.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
These are the dark days for Grodd, fellas. The holy light will soon shine through the gloomy skies and rain down buffs aplenty on our beloved Grodd. ;p

TBH its 2 weeks in , even if the character is bad most ppl are just playing the game to have fun so enjoy the ape. Obviously if you are competing in tourneys or the online events you should consider a secondary.

DeftMonk

Noob
I'm able to hit these pretty consistently so I figured I would try to share how I do it. For on hit (since I am a musician by trade this is ok for me dunno others) imagine a pretty fast steady rhythm like 16th notes that start with the visualization of the last punch in your string the frame it lands and then F F are the next 2 notes then D (hold) and then 2. all the same duration in-between. Punch-F-F-D(hold)-2 should sound like duh duh duh duh duh in your head. As for block the trick seems to be the block stun makes the stampede come out a few frames later. So after you got step 1 down and can get that timing, just add a very slight pause in between the punch and f f. for this also you can imagine just doing it at a pace where the second f is very slightly before the move hits the opponent. Hope that helps
: /

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I'm able to hit these pretty consistently so I figured I would try to share how I do it. For on hit (since I am a musician by trade this is ok for me dunno others) imagine a pretty fast steady rhythm like 16th notes that start with the visualization of the last punch in your string the frame it lands and then F F are the next 2 notes then D (hold) and then 2. all the same duration in-between. Punch-F-F-D(hold)-2 should sound like duh duh duh duh duh in your head. As for block the trick seems to be the block stun makes the stampede come out a few frames later. So after you got step 1 down and can get that timing, just add a very slight pause in between the punch and f f. for this also you can imagine just doing it at a pace where the second f is very slightly before the move hits the opponent. Hope that helps
: /
This is good advice!

I imagine a phantom button press between BF3()FF

Actually...that makes me wonder if you could actually just press a button in that gap to help with timing. I wonder if it will register as something and fuck up the cancel. Going to try that tonight.

DeftMonk

Noob
This is good advice!

I imagine a phantom button press between BF3()FF

Actually...that makes me wonder if you could actually just press a button in that gap to help with timing. I wonder if it will register as something and fuck up the cancel. Going to try that tonight.
I use a phantom button press as well on certain strings. I rarely use stampede cancel on block but if I do its cuz I have loads of meter and I mb stampede cancel f3 mb on people tryhin to poke through my shit.