What's new

Green Lantern matchup impressions

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Grodd is an extremely easy matchup in my opinion. You outfootsie him badly and can easily air to air his demon flip with j1. GL also punishes his wakeup pretty easily if blocked. Then even if Grodd gets in, his mixups are reactable. Might be 7-3 Lantern. If not, seems like it's at least 6-4.

Last edited:

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
i think AM - GL is a solid 5-5. Also Batman GL is probably 5-5 still too.
I also think Aquaman is 5-5. It's super easy to play Aquaman in general so it's easier to execute Aquaman's game plan - however I don't think it's better.

He cannot repeatedly spam from the deep, as you can check it with exploding lantern, which actually does more chip than FTD. You can also punish with MB battery blast. Up close, Aquaman's footsies and offense are about as good as GL IMO. Aquaman has better chip but he's pretty free on wake up to GL setups.

Reactions: JDM

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Ive beaten every Beetle and Cyborg I've played (and ive run into some good ones). I think he has the necessary tools to get the job done. Its either 5-5 or slightly in his favor.

Aquaman is suprisingly still a 5-5 for different reasons. Counterzoning with Rolling Boulder and Overcharged Lantern means it can turn into a chip war. Being able to punish FTD with MB Beam is also really nice. Sucks we need bar but its better than having nothing at all.

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
I must be missing something in the Beetle matchup. It just seems like you have to play his game until you get it and then it's not really in GLs favor. If anyone has a video of the matchup (long shot I know) I'd love to take a look.

Bes110

Noob
I know it has been discussed a bit, but does anyone have tips for me on how to deal with Beetle. His wakeup ruins all of my knock down combo setups, and I find it difficult to get in on him with his projectiles, and flying all over the screen. Or is it simply I just need to get better?

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
I know it has been discussed a bit, but does anyone have tips for me on how to deal with Beetle. His wakeup ruins all of my knock down combo setups, and I find it difficult to get in on him with his projectiles, and flying all over the screen. Or is it simply I just need to get better?
Just jump on knockdown, b13 will punish him

Bes110

Noob
After a long set with Doctor Fate, I have come to the conclusion that the match up is even. I used to believe it was 4-6 but Green Lantern has the tools to deal with him. First hit is very important though.

I'm definetly missing something with the Canary MU. I know need to learn her strings better but I'm struggling with this one. I see a lot you guys say it's 6-4. Not sure how to handle her.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
I'm definetly missing something with the Canary MU. I know need to learn her strings better but I'm struggling with this one. I see a lot you guys say it's 6-4. Not sure how to handle her.
You really need to focus on zoning her out. This is one of a few mu's where GL can truly function as a zoner.

Check her with bowling balls, predict movement with lanterns, and mix in battery blasts and meter burn blasts. Stay out of range and if she does manage to get close, play the spacing game by trip guarding jump ins with b1. Use meterburn roll to escape the corner, push block or air escape if necessary.

But at the end of the day, your main goal is to keep your distance and chip away. Watch out for level 3 cry, bait it and block it, then she's neutered from full screen.

If she gets in you're right it's very hard her mix is excellent.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
aquaman: 4-6, losing diagonal air rocket was huge.

Atrocitus: 5-5, This is the top tier GL can compete against and he does it well. He can low profile Dex-Star's shots and when Dex isn't out he outfootsies and out zones Atrocitus. If it wasn't for the cat GL would win this imo.

Batman: 4-6, there is nothing GL has in this match up that Batman doesn't have but better. He's also free to jump all around the screen due to LM nerf.

Bane: Without minigun I want to say this is bad but GL can play a solid keep away game. Not giving this one a number.

Black Adam: Only a 4-6 because of the astronomical difference in damage output. GL just has to make less mistakes and guess right more. Zoning and footsies game is even.

Captain Cold: I refuse to believe people have played against Cold enough to give this a number.

Black Canary: Seems in GL's favor but I haven't played enough of them to give it a number. High damage off of unreactable 50/50s can't be ignored.

Blue beatle: 4-6, Beetle controls the screen from anywhere, always has a meter advantage, out damages GL, has a much better wake up game (any forward advancing wake ups fuck with GLs set up game and it being safe on block is just icing on the shit cake), and they gave him GLs diagonal air rocket (I'm just salty about that). I'm adamant that anyone whose played this match for at least 20 or so games against a good Beetle would agree that this is a struggle for GL......oh and LMing him out of the air while he's hovering around (ala Hawkgirl) is very inconsistent and almost un-doable.

Brainiac: Same answer as Cold.

Catwoman: 3-7 (hear me out, I'm going to list my reasons),
- Catwoman controls the air from mid screen and closer with her insane J2 which leads into full combos for huge damage, GL used to be able to LM from almost full J2 range but that's not even close to an option any more.
- Her ground whip out distances GLs B1 which is huge for the footsie game.
- She out damages GL with or without meter
- With the loss of minigun she can meter burn cat dash punish all of GLs ranged options on reaction except for meter burn battery blast (which needs to be a read) for huge damage, OR she could cat dodge them easily to gain trait. Which is a 1 button wakeup that ruins any and all set up attempts from GL due to there being no buttons to cross up.
- She can absolutely destroy GLs 1 wake up option with her low starter. This is probably the single worst thing on here imo. GL already has a weak wake up game but at least if you read a jump over you know you'll have to hold it and block. But when a character can blow up your wake up from anywhere so easily it pretty much means you're eating free pressure on almost all knock downs.
- All that on top of her tiny hurt box and low profiling bull crap (I know, not character specific but still) I think this might be one of GLs worst match ups. I would love to hear where I'm wrong but this is one I feel fairly confident on and I believe anyone just saying GL wins because that's how it was in IGAU1 really needs to take a look at her new tools compared to GLs.

Cheetah: 6-4, GL wrecks her, he controls the footsie game and obviously the zoning. The only thing Cheetah has is damage....risky risky punishable damage. Honestly if her damage wasn't so high I'd say this was 7-3.

Cyborg: I'm tempted to say this is still bad because they just made Cyborg even better from the first game but I haven't played enough against the new Cyborg to say anything.

Darkseid: 4-6, pretty straightforward bad match up. Darkseid wins the zoning game, meter game, damage game, he has comparable set ups to GL and he has a forward advancing safe wake up which messes with a lot of set ups.

Deadshot: 4-6, similar story to Darkseid but it's not as bad for one reason. GL's excellent walk speed makes getting in on Deadshot doable (no teleport shenanigans) and when you're in GL can do some work. Not to mention GL can compete zoning wise IF he has a sizable life lead and some meter. I feel like this match up is exaggerated in the GL community as of right now. Sure it takes more effort from the GL player to win but that's not really what match up numbers are supposed to reflect. Match up numbers take into account both players playing at a high level.

Doctor fate: 4-6, at this point we can pretty much list any about average zoning character as a bad match up for GL, similar to the first game. Fate is very similar to Deadshot, except instead of worrying about a 50/50 when you get in you have to worry about his shoulder charge/ankh combo which is safe on block.

Firestorm: Seems bad on paper but I haven't really labbed this match up too much. I played Red Raptors Firestorm for about 20 games but I had no idea what I was dealing with. Not gonna give a number.

Grodd: I haven't managed to play one of the 3 Grodds out there.

Green arrow: It was 4-6 in IGAU1 but they gave GL an option for dealing with jump shot and duck shot but also gave GA more tools. I have no clue what the number is, seems even though.

Harley: 5-5 Harley out damages GL, out zones him, and usually will have the meter advantage. Up close GL wins the footsie game and you should be able to get in before she gains too much meter. This is probably even.

Joker: Haven't played any new Jokers, who knows.

Poison ivy: I've played like 2 random Ivys since the game came out. Can't seem to find any to play against.

Red Hood: Obviously no numbers here.

Robin: No clue as I don't know Hayatei personally.

Scarecrow: Same as Robin except switch Hayatei with Whiteboi, Rico or Toxin. Seems in GLs favor on paper though.

Super girl:5-5 I hate the teleport but that's a personal gripe. This is probably 5-5, she out zones GL but she can't do it forever due to it being tied to her trait. This might be the only character GL out damages.

Superman: 5-5, might be 4-6 but GL getting a straight air projectile really gave him an option against air lasers. I think Superman still wins the zoning game but it's definitely a lot close than IGAU1. Footsie game is pretty similar here, know your gaps and make a read.

Swamp thing: At this point I'll probably run into an actual swamp monster before I face a Swamp Thing player.

The Flash: Probably still 5-5 but I haven't played many Flash players.

Wonder Woman: Who knows but the movie was good.

I didn't give a lot of numbers because the game is still new, these are just my first impressions.
this is probably the most accurate thing thats gonna come out of this thread.

Any input on how to handle a good Darkseid? This character seems more prevalent at this stage of the game, I run into quite a few on ranked and usually end up with an L. The beams aren't my issue it's his crazy mobility and the OH low stomp BS. I can't D2 or J1 while he's airborne. Is it just my timing?

Cashual

Any input on how to handle a good Darkseid? This character seems more prevalent at this stage of the game, I run into quite a few on ranked and usually end up with an L. The beams aren't my issue it's his crazy mobility and the OH low stomp BS. I can't D2 or J1 while he's airborne. Is it just my timing?
If they're air teleporting without minion out on you and you're not d2ing that's definitely part of the problem. If you've got that part of the matchup under control, I'm not sure. We definitely destroy darkseid in footsie range though. Our oki isn't as effective as it can be, but I wanna say a well timed mb f3 works but I haven't labbed DS options in a long time nor do I ever play any good ones.

I feel like my D2 either trades or gets blown up, it must be my timing. One thing I never do is simply back up when I see the teleport coming, lol. I always try and knock him out of the air or try and block the OH/LOW. I'll try and lab it a bit tonight.

Cashual

I feel like my D2 either trades or gets blown up, it must be my timing. One thing I never do is simply back up when I see the teleport coming, lol. I always try and knock him out of the air or try and block the OH/LOW. I'll try and lab it a bit tonight.
Darkseid has a ton of recovery on raw air tele, but his hitbox is there really quick. You can let d2 rip for full combo. Hell ya might be able to IA j1 even. I do see a lot of people just walk forward (away) after the tele too. So if someone is autopiloting or just commits to stomp you should be able to punish.

Lab this stuff up and I'll do the same tonight after work and see what I find/remember.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
My opinion for some of the matchups.

Aquaman: 6-4
-MB FTD nerf puts Aquaman on equal levels in damage. MB battery punish is actually meaningful since the damage disparity is reduced. Less chip is big, too. b123 being -1 kinda is better, since at best he gets trades on d1. I always felt GL was better in neutral if the damage was closer.

Scarecrow: 5-5, possible 6-4
-If he gets in, it's a wrap, but I feel GL plays neutral generally better, so damage and meter building is gonna come before it gets to that point. Also learned that GL is one of the few characters who has a reliable answer to spaced j2, which is huge. His d2 being sluggish is good for GL's short jump.

Deadshot: 4-6
-Bowl at just outside of jump range is a decent option, as it leaves his hand quick enough to tag him in between shots sometimes, but is slow enough to hit MB rifle at times. GL walks too fast for wrist cannon meter build to get out of hand a lot of the time.

Reactions: JDM

Cashual

I don't see how Fate and GL go even. I think it's a clear 6-4 in fate's favor.

GL is helpless at full screen and can only counterzone with mb bf1. Unfortunately, you're not going to build much meter and as meter dependent as GL is in general, it's tough to have bar for mb bf1.

GL has a tough time mb rolling in also as though his forward dash is good, it takes too long for the mb and invincibility startup so you get clipped by projectiles trying it.

If fate puts out an orb you can counter zone with db2, but it's just not enough imo.

When you do knock fate down, he basically gets up free and escapes one of GLs strongest aspects, his oki. I haven't experimented much with trying to bait his wakeup and I dunno....mb b3 or jump in? Anyone have advice for me when I absolutely know that the fate is gonna do his retreating wakeup?

Either way, being scary on knock down and forcing the opponent to guess and react to GL is big for him, but fate almost reverses the mind game to force GL to make a read instead.

Stream chat in Reo's twitch stream told me I was crazy to believe the matchup was in fate's favor and called me a downplayer for suggesting that GL could be zoned out by fate because GL has his own projectiles.

@Tweedy was doing well with GL against Reo's Fate so everyone said it was even or in GLs favor.

Tweedy, what's your opinion on the fate and GL matchup?

Tweedy

Noob
I think Fate wins for sure. Reo's Fate was pretty rusty and my GL isn't rusty even though I don't use him in tournament much.

Cashual

I think Fate wins for sure. Reo's Fate was pretty rusty and my GL isn't rusty even though I don't use him in tournament much.
Yeah I agree, I was really annoyed that a bunch of clowns were telling me I'm crazy. Not saying it's unwinnable or anything but it's a losing matchup for GL

gitblame

Noob
It's the hardest MU for Green Lantern. Dr Fate does not really have to care about anything from GL. As you said, GL can't MB roll so Fate can commit to everything he wants. Even if GL would get close, he can't lock Fate because Fate has some good buttons and safe special to get out from GL pressure. GL can't counterzone with BF1 MB because he desperately needs meter for any damage and even if GL opens up Fate he does too little to make it really count. OKI setups are beaten by Fate wakeups so you can't event try those out.

If GL loses any matchup 3-7, it would be vs Fate