What's new

Green Lantern matchup impressions

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
this is just some of my impressions of matchups with green lantern, this isnt matchup numbers or anything definitive because there are many characters i have not played much against a lot of characters its just more observations and possibly pointers for matchups that seem to go well or are problematic.

Supergirl - seems to have the tools to be problematic, she has better zoning for sure and controls the air, seems like any air fireball can be caught by a teleport (unless its really low?) and at the peak of her jump it seems like battery bomb cant touch her. she also has b12 and breath which can compete with or beat b1 so shes someone to be careful against.

Scarecrow - zone him, block low and when he teleports punish GL seems to do fine or good in this MU

Aquaman - changed from INJ1 in that game GL's air control helped a lot but now that its gone Aquaman does better in this MU not sure AM wins it but Gl definitely has to play Aquamans game which isnt what anyone wants to do. pushblock trident rush is my only advice atm

Black Adam - sorta like Aquaman, GL did well and possiblty won this in INJ1 but he doesnt have the air tools he used to so you have to be a lot more careful and Adam can Zone you out in some ways but it isnt that bad because if the BA player is brainless or is divekicking like crazy just punish, be more patient, dash in after blocking but dont rush into his face get into your optimal range and play your game.

Superman - not much has changed seemingly still in his favor just worse now because f2 is a mid and we dont have turbine and the new air fireball is pretty slow so its hardly a threat to him in the air

Harley - outzones GL now handily but the matchup isnt as bad at fate or deadshot you can get in on harley because her zoning isnt as simple, by now if you main GL you should know how tyo get past zoning so once you do block tantrum and youre good. but if its a good harley zoning shots with air shots and cupcakes (which i havent run into yet) you might be in a lot of trouble.

Bane - no idea what to do without minigun, this seems pretty in his favor because theres no answer to the armor, jump arc is to low to jump over charge, no quick hitting strings, and he can charge right through the zoning

Black Canary - were good here just zone and block her lvl trait. learn her strings and block those.

Catwoman - this one is interesting, she gives Gl trouble but you can zone her, just watch her j2 (long whip) and dont let her in, when shes in she can be a problem. i havent played a lot against her but she definitely does better in this matchup than in the last game.

Cyborg - his zoning was toned down a bit in exchange for a new fireball but still it feels like GL does better in this MU than before, he still seems to outzone GL but the matchup is far less painful than before and definitely seems winnable

just some early impressions feel free to post any opinions or advice on certain matchups as well im just not posting this to say we win or lose7-3 or 4-6 or any of that.

Last edited:

9_Lives

Noob
For the Aquaman mu I notice that every special he has is past -11 without meter. If you can keep him in range of lantern's might you can keep him a bit more honest. If you have good timing on 2231 you can bully him with d1 followup, neither aqs d1 or even mbb3 will get him out. Seems like the overcharged lantern goes back and forth with him too on the from the deep when used as reversal, too slow for punish. I have yet to play any good Aquaman yet, but these are some observations.

I just played my first good Harley. Unfortunately didn't get more than one game before he tbagged and left, but it feels like gl has no choice but to go in when she's zoning. And with her new trait it definitely gave me a hard time. My outlook may change with more practice against her, but it seems rough atm.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Punishing Bane's charge, I crouch block it and reversal lift punish (stand block pushes you out of range unfortunately smh). Charge is -12

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Deadshot, Supergirl, Black Adam, Harley, Fate, Firestorm, and Darkseid seem like problems so far. Only a week in though so these are obviously just first impressions.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I main Bane and I feel GL wins this on footsies alone. I have to risk way more to win. If a Bane charges, MB B3 on reaction (and most likely the bane will have at least level 1 venom, so in the middle of the combo you will be getting more damage while he debuffs)

I feel gl destroys Harley. Once you knock her down she can't wakeup, your b1 fares very well against her b2, and it's hard for Harley to consistently AA latern

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
So Cheetah. Is this just a really hard MU for GL? trying to figure out if I was entirely outplayed in the set or if this is a struggle battle

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
So Cheetah. Is this just a really hard MU for GL? trying to figure out if I was entirely outplayed in the set or if this is a struggle battle
Lul you were outplayed and had no idea what was going on. That same Cheetah you just played, Ive played him a lot the last couple days and I beat him more often than he beats me, and he has salt towards GL now because of it (he asked for GL nerfs smh -___-). Advice to you, J1 is your friend.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Lul you were outplayed and had no idea what was going on. That same Cheetah you just played, Ive played him a lot the last couple days and I beat him more often than he beats me, and he has salt towards GL now because of it (he asked for GL nerfs smh -___-). Advice to you, J1 is your friend.
Yeah reviewing it I got mixed for the greater part of it. And couldn't handle blood lunge at all.

Bes110

Noob
Question for you all. In general, what types of characters are good backups to play as behind my Green Lantern. A few suggestions would be great. Thanks!

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Question for you all. In general, what types of characters are good backups to play as behind my Green Lantern. A few suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Green Lantern has problems against better zoners than him who can compete in neutral (Supes for example)

So anybody who doesn't give a shit about footsies in neutral (Supergirl with her tele, Atroc with trait and puddle) or just all around characters like Aquaman or Bladam.

EDIT - I'm not saying Supergirl or Atroc is necessarily good MU vs Superman...but could deal with zoning from Fate well

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Tbh, I play Cheetah a bit different than most...push her full screen on combos, force her to feel like she has to pounce to get in (reacting to jumping in with ex bf1 or use lantern orbs to check her advances)...when she jumps, react by jumping back (I'm not sure how NJ works).

Her comfort zone is in your face and using pounce to get rid of separation. Make them annoyed by taking pounce shit away. Not sure how to deal with her f3 tho yet. Shits broke

Bes110

Noob
Green Lantern has problems against better zoners than him who can compete in neutral (Supes for example)

So anybody who doesn't give a shit about footsies in neutral (Supergirl with her tele, Atroc with trait and puddle) or just all around characters like Aquaman or Bladam.

EDIT - I'm not saying Supergirl or Atroc is necessarily good MU vs Superman...but could deal with zoning from Fate well
Thank you very much!

thekablamster

It's good to be green (uses orange lantern skin)
Super man has absolutely had my number, have an awful time trading with air laser, especially if supes has bar. I get stuffed on any battery blast and have a tough time getting a roll in.