What's new

Granblue Fantasy: Versus (ArcSystemWorks)

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º

Official Website | WIKI

Game Mechanics / Tutorials / Resources

What is Granblue Fantasy Versus?
Introduction to the Systems & Gameplay mechanics
Simple Inputs Vs Technical Inputs
The Secret behind Easy Inputs
6 ways to use the Block Button
How to punish the tricky supers
How to deal with Yggdrasil

Character Specific Info

SOON

Last edited:
The game looks like it will be garbage if ASW doesn’t clean it up. There are messages cluttering the screen constantly, cinematic take way too long, etc. I read that many said the netcode was awful, which isn’t surprising.

The fact that Guilty Gear Strive is also being made “more accessible” (read: dumbed down), Granblue will likely be dead on arrival since Strive launches next year as well. It doesn’t help that the 11 character launch roster is a joke.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I'm speaking to the initial vids with BeautifulDude playing which are clearly 60fps and not the Spooky Vids which look 30fps.

Artistically, I find it super appealing. I'm am having a serious issue with the animation. I know GG made a deliberate decision to animate at similar frame rate to the original hand drawn stuff when moving into 3D. I didn't like it in the idle animations, but I think the game being faster and making heavy duty use of motion trails made it Ok enough in fights.

This is slower, it just seems super obvious it's not animating in a smooth way. You can draw whatever artistic conclusions you want about how enjoyable it is to look at, but it seems like something that would impact playability. I'm sure the inputs are being read at 60 considering the game is clearly running faster than its character animation, but that's stuff you are using to react to, and base decision making off of. That's fewer frames to tell your brain what's happening.

I'm not entirely sure what the consequences of the character animation being lower than the game frame rate is, but it's hard to imagine it's helpful. I personally think it is hard to look at, but I'm historically anti-30fps for action anything, and generally over how hard it it has been to get 60fps accepted as a standard; let alone a minimum. Fighting games are one place where nobody has been able to question how important frame rate is. This looks like it sits somewhere between where it's 60fps, but not at the same time. I know that's not super new in FG's, but I'd like to move past it.

I know the process for this particular 3D animation is supposedly pretty brutal, so it may just be difficult to use more frames from a labor perspective, but smooth animation is important.

Aide from that major complaint, it seems very appealing. Although I'm kind of finally starting to burn out of fighting options. There are so many good, established games that I keep wanting to go backwards instead of forwards, and I just don't think I can squeeze in anything else; no matter how pretty it is. I'm going to keep an eye on it though.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
My friends convinced me to get it. Glad to say the netcode is good. At least when playing with other people with decent connections, Ranked is on some other shit lol. Using Ladiva rn, but thinking about picking up Ferry as a secondary

My friends convinced me to get it. Glad to say the netcode is good. At least when playing with other people with decent connections, Ranked is on some other shit lol. Using Ladiva rn, but thinking about picking up Ferry as a secondary
yeah i use ladiva too ... i get zoned out a lot but damn that character hits hard

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
This game is meeeeeeggggga fun!!!

Main drawback on rollback for online but such a beast of a game

Ferry is <3