What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Goro Goro MU Discussion Thread

Udun

Noob
Good MU's for Goro... difficult question. I agree that he does quite decent vs Liu Kang and Imposter Shinnok. I felt also that he's pretty good against Triborg, cause he lacks of good tools for escaping corner pressure. I'm not sure about kenshi, cause if he gets the first hit and then zones you out, you'll have a bad time (with enough meter, its np for Goro). With Cassie and EB, i agree 100%. Prepatch i would also have said Goro beats Jason easily, but since Unstoppable got buffed it may be otherwise. We have a pretty good HQT Predator at the Virtual Dojo Vienna, i think the MU is 5:5. You have to guess all the time about when he does his plasma cancels, also you have to use EXPunchwalk in pretty close range, otherwise EXPlasma will break it.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I am a true believer that Piercing Mileena is Goros worst Match-up.

@Metzos I have no idea how you ever though Goro beats Ermac, my opinion Goro has never beat Ermac especially now since he has a safe OH option.

As for Reptile, KW loses that match-up for sure, and if KW loses the zoning war then certainly DF loses it aswell. Can't speak of TF because I do not have enough experience in that match-up.

I will say, Goro beats the hell out of Killer Leatherface. thanks @Big D

Big D

Relevant In An Irrelevant Time

@Metzos I have no idea how you ever though Goro beats Ermac, my opinion Goro has never beat Ermac especially now since he has a safe OH option.

As for Reptile, KW loses that match-up for sure, and if KW loses the zoning war then certainly DF loses it aswell. Can't speak of TF because I do not have enough experience in that match-up.

Glad we came to terms on that. Killer LF gets MAULED in that match up.

Oh, and Goro vs Ermac is a solid 5-5 easily. However, I think Spectral beats goro 6-4

Metzos

You will BOW to me!

I played that MU as KW and didnt have many problems outzoning him. Its not that hard, imo and in general projectile trades, favor Goro, not Reptile. I ve been playing TF lately as well and its even easier with TF against Reptile.

As for Mileena, yeah i now also believe she wins against Goro, after some thoughts i had and footage i ve seen.

Regarding Ermac, simply because Goro has better normals up close than Ermac and his wake-up game sucks compared to other characters. He is still -6f after f43 and f34 can be interrupted by pw, many people dont abuse that as they should. Only thing Goro has to fear from Ermac, is projectile trades.

@Big D , how do you approach the particular MU and why do you think Ermac goes even with Goro? I think its a probable 6-4 Goro MU, atm at least.

Big D

Relevant In An Irrelevant Time
@Big D , how do you approach the particular MU and why do you think Ermac goes even with Goro? I think its a probable 6-4 Goro MU, atm at least.
I was saying 5-5 to be safe. I know we dont WIN the match up. If Goro gets in, the game is over. Mystic has a chance to make it 5-5 but most likely its 6-4.

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
Hey guys, I know that Goro wins against Dualist, but I don't know very much about Dragon's Fire and Flame Fist... Flame Fist's parry can stop all Goro's wakeups/reversals... but, what do you guys think about goro vs DF and FF?

Espio

Kokomo
Hey guys, I know that Goro wins against Dualist, but I don't know very much about Dragon's Fire and Flame Fist... Flame Fist's parry can stop all Goro's wakeups/reversals... but, what do you guys think about goro vs DF and FF?
Parry loses to low attacks so Back 3, which ends up launching for full combo or down 3 that gives us pressure follow ups. All you really have to do is craft a meta game and make the risk/reward not worth his while when it comes to parry. You can also use low stab if the variation is Dragon Fangs.

If he's just using parry to beat wake ups and reversals, you can get up for free or reverse pressure pretty easily. In order to do a lot of things, you have to make sacrifices on parries.

You can also full combo punish parry for great damage on baits, it's pretty godlike and easy honestly. The windmill punch chip is pretty sick though with flame fists active. Down 3 and down 4 beat the parry options and give you offense or you can always just go for full punish depending.

Even though he can parry the back 3, punch walk gap if you just do back 3 and nothing else you still get a full combo on whiffed parry so he has to guess right twice if he reads the low and then if you're in Dragon Fangs you get a third option of low stab to troll him and punish him for knowing the match up. What I'm saying in a nutshell is that if you use your optional properly and strategically, he's not going to be reliably parrying you because there's so much guess work and your reward is vastly superior anyway so when you combine so much to think about with superior risk/reward it works out nicely for us.

They're actually probably both in Goro's favor. Parry doesn't negate Goro's advantages, you just have to approach the match up intelligently and in a layered way, but the risk reward is in your favor on parry reads and having a low starter makes it even more appealing to challenge it.

Goro players adapted to regulating Dragon's Fire, now they need to do so for Flame Fist next.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I think FF beats DF/KW Goro. Slight advantage due to the safe game Liu can play against Goro. Liu is a character that can break PW armor on wakeup by doing D3xEX BFB4 (what ever the punch input is) It is a bit harder to time due to the startup on Lius pokes but it can happen and something Goro has to worry about on wake up.

The reason why I bring up the low profiling point is because if they can low profile PW then they can low profile all of Goros main tools besides pokes and B3. F3, F4, B1 21 are no longer as big of a threat if you can low profile them.

Goro can get a d1 punish I believe off of the DB2 with it being -7 so that could start pressure but again, most of them can be low profiled, so it becomes a mind game.

Liu has decent zoning in this variation nothing special, but something Goro has to always worry about. The parry in this variation doesn't really scare me since Goro has a great D3, B3 is a bit slow and has awful cancel advantage so there is a gap in between everything.

DF Liu I would say is a 5-5.

Last edited:

SYK

Noob
Hey guys Sorry if this has been discussed before but how do you find the Match-up against CSZ. I am using KW atm and i find it difficult to start any neutral against him.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Hey guys Sorry if this has been discussed before but how do you find the Match-up against CSZ. I am using KW atm and i find it difficult to start any neutral against him.
I wouldn't go KW vs CSZ.

CSZ is one of the few characters in the game that loves to be in the air, so I find that KW is a harder variation to win with when versing those few specific characters.

I prefer DF due to the Anti Air in :exDB2. You also don't want to trade fireballs in this MU so that makes DF not a solid pick imo. So to me it comes down to, what can I do to not make him jump around freely, and how hard can I punish a Divekick.

That is a simply summary of the MU, people will have their own opinions with what variation they prefer. But to me it is DF.

KW just seems to struggle do it not being able to use his specific tools alot in this MU.

Reactions: SYK

SYK

Noob
I wouldn't go KW vs CSZ.

CSZ is one of the few characters in the game that loves to be in the air, so I find that KW is a harder variation to win with when versing those few specific characters.

I prefer DF due to the Anti Air in :exDB2. You also don't want to trade fireballs in this MU so that makes DF not a solid pick imo. So to me it comes down to, what can I do to not make him jump around freely, and how hard can I punish a Divekick.

That is a simply summary of the MU, people will have their own opinions with what variation they prefer. But to me it is DF.

KW just seems to struggle do it not being able to use his specific tools alot in this MU.
I figured as much I tried running TF but he can just slide the fireballs it is abit easier to fight. I need to learn DF as I use KW as my primary I will run the MU :). Thank you a really apprichiate the advice