What's new

Match Footage - Goro Goro Battle Footage

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I haven't had the time to really even play must less record anything. It's not for lack of interest because I'm digging Goro now more than I ever have really, mostly due to my new streamlined style of play. So much content is in the works for him, but it is entirely contingent on when I get freedom to actually present things. Although I wish I recorded some of those KOTH mus as they showed how to play the Kitana/Goro mu from both sides.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Here's a quick vod dump for you guys! :) If I wasn't streaming straight from console and had some time, I'd love to have just cut the most entertaining matches for you guys, but unfortunately it's not something I can do atm. :(

Vsing Kdee-10 (FF Liu Kang, UB Sub Zero, Inferno Scorp, GM Sub)

Vsing MrEric (Outlaw EB, Sektor, War God Kotal, Aftershock Tremor)

KOTH with DrAwesome, Castiel, Kdeee-10 and Spruce Moose (Just filter through this one)

Enjoy!

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
I need help with this one:

Key points are:
- backdash and jump back make it hard for goro to get in
- f3 makes goro hesitant to run, allowing sektor to maintain space
- once he's in the corner it's pretty ok for me
- I ate some really dumb stuff (mashed during unfamiliar strings, didnt respect hit adv of flame, didnt respect mb option after tele) and pw'd a few too many times...

@RM Cossner could you possibly spare any advice on sektor specific stuff I may not have been exploiting?

I'd recommend anyone watching to start from about the 1 hour mark, since my understanding of the match developed to some extent as we progressed through the set.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
I need help with this one:

Key points are:
- backdash and jump back make it hard for goro to get in
- f3 makes goro hesitant to run, allowing sektor to maintain space
- once he's in the corner it's pretty ok for me
- I ate some really dumb stuff (mashed during unfamiliar strings, didnt respect hit adv of flame, didnt respect mb option after tele) and pw'd a few too many times...

@RM Cossner could you possibly spare any advice on sektor specific stuff I may not have been exploiting?

I'd recommend anyone watching to start from about the 1 hour mark, since my understanding of the match developed to some extent as we progressed through the set.
Hmm I think you were just missing your punishes. The guy didn't really have pressure but you kept falling for the low in f13. For the wake up you can always check them with d3 then immediately block. After the ex flamethrower in hit f1 will jail but you can option select armor. He was doing things like d1 into grab, 114 or f3 into pressure. None of those things are real and you can poke or start your pressure after that. Also I noticed that you didn't really punish the OH or F3. Idk if Goro has an actual punish but at least try using the command grab or poking so you get enough advantage to set up your mix ups.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Hmm I think you were just missing your punishes. The guy didn't really have pressure but you kept falling for the low in f13. For the wake up you can always check them with d3 then immediately block. After the ex flamethrower in hit f1 will jail but you can option select armor. He was doing things like d1 into grab, 114 or f3 into pressure. None of those things are real and you can poke or start your pressure after that. Also I noticed that you didn't really punish the OH or F3. Idk if Goro has an actual punish but at least try using the command grab or poking so you get enough advantage to set up your mix ups.
Yeah I think I may have tried normals or something to punish oh to no avail, need to test that. I think for the most part too, he was using f3 at close to max range making it -1 (from what I remember). I was trying to contest with b121 to get some plus frames from memory but again hed jump back or backdash.

Either way thanks for pointing some of this stuff out, very much appreciate it. :)

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Yeah I think I may have tried normals or something to punish oh to no avail, need to test that. I think for the most part too, he was using f3 at close to max range making it -1 (from what I remember). I was trying to contest with b121 to get some plus frames from memory but again hed jump back or backdash.

Either way thanks for pointing some of this stuff out, very much appreciate it. :)
F3 is deeeefinitely not -1 and max range lol.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S

@Espio
@Nuovo_Cabjoy
@Decay
@Mourneblade
@dennycascade

Skip the first 2 matches as I used Mileena

No sound, I had the headphones plugged into my controller.....
After watching this and your red hot sundays matches, here are my thoughts:

- I noticed a bunch of d1 anti crossover attempts, but don't recall seeing any u1 anti airs. D1 is decent, but u1 is so ridiculously good and much more consistent for anti crossover. I know you know this, just need to get that muscle memory. Most importantly u1 in the corner is ridiculous.

- you don't appear to use b121 nearly as much as I tend to. I love this string particularly in the corner as it'll cover all getups apart from armour wakeup. Leaves you +2 which is abusive against slower poke characters and can be used to feel out counter poke/armour tendencies. A lot of my df game is b121 pressure mixing between throw, cmd grab, poke, another b121, etc. You used f214 a bit (which I do in some situations), but I prefer f212+4 or whatever it is for the +2 unless opp knows about the gap.

- I don't feel the need to run in with f3 or anything like that since goros natural footsie buttons will get him in eventually. I mostly enjoy sitting outside of short run+ advancing string range of character and utilising the disjointed range of 121 to chatch run ins or jump ins. Once you get your hit, take em to the corner and don't let them out. Didnt see a whole lot of down poke without pw cancelled which is fine vs the dude you vs'd, but will obvs get you killed vs others or at least make you give up offense. Also didnt see much normal throw. Given the nature of goros string frame trap game, normal throw is a great option.

- last big thing I noticed is you jump much more than myself. I'm of the opinion goro shouldnt really need to jump, but when I do jump it's using 4 due to its awesome range.

Anyway thats my thoughts for now. Hope it helped!

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat

- I noticed a bunch of d1 anti crossover attempts, but don't recall seeing any u1 anti airs. D1 is decent, but u1 is so ridiculously good and much more consistent for anti crossover. I know you know this, just need to get that muscle memory. Most importantly u1 in the corner is ridiculous.

- you don't appear to use b121 nearly as much as I tend to. I love this string particularly in the corner as it'll cover all getups apart from armour wakeup. Leaves you +2 which is abusive against slower poke characters and can be used to feel out counter poke/armour tendencies. A lot of my df game is b121 pressure mixing between throw, cmd grab, poke, another b121, etc. You used f214 a bit (which I do in some situations), but I prefer f212+4 or whatever it is for the +2 unless opp knows about the gap.

- I don't feel the need to run in with f3 or anything like that since goros natural footsie buttons will get him in eventually. I mostly enjoy sitting outside of short run+ advancing string range of character and utilising the disjointed range of 121 to chatch run ins or jump ins. Once you get your hit, take em to the corner and don't let them out. Didnt see a whole lot of down poke without pw cancelled which is fine vs the dude you vs'd, but will obvs get you killed vs others or at least make you give up offense. Also didnt see much normal throw. Given the nature of goros string frame trap game, normal throw is a great option.

- last big thing I noticed is you jump much more than myself. I'm of the opinion goro shouldnt really need to jump, but when I do jump it's using 4 due to its awesome range.

Anyway thats my thoughts for now. Hope it helped!
I used to do U1 but I always made the wrong read and got punished for it, so I use D1 to react to cross up attempts. I have more success doing that than reacting with U1. The absolute only time I use U1 is if I notice a pattern of cross up attempts.

I don't like using B121 alot mid screen as if they get hit by it then they get sent full screen.

To make it simple, this is the reason why I play like I do with Goro.

I know Goro's weaknesses and I try to counter them in my play as much as I can to an extent. After a command grab ender Goro is guaranteed nothing after, not a F3 or a F4 but since he has the worst projectile or full screen presence in the game in DF I have to go in. I do not like doing things that have gaps when a character has good armor.

There is alot of things I know I can do better with Goro, but I love the character, I just don't think he fits my playstyle at all. Reptile fits me the most, and Ermac is my other favorite right now. I have been recording alot of my sets lately to go back and watch them and see what I can do to improve.

a recent set

Solomon Gorondy

Should Goro be top 5?

Not to mention that if Goro crouched as his opponent jumped over him, he could not use Up+1 because his Stomp special move (Down>Up) will override the input of a normal attack causing him to get full combo punished. This is an issue with no real solution and I think we should stop pretending it's acceptable game design. If NRS changes Stomps input to (Down>Down+3) the problem is solved and the move still remains a two frame input. That's a really cheap fix that would take a developer all of 10 minutes to do.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Gonna be uploading a loooooot of sets from now. Quality of matches may dip further down, I was getting super tired late in the stream hahaha.

Vs Hollywood

Vs HQT and Piercing

Vs Gunslinger, Hollywood, Brawler, Piercing, Sorceror

Vs Master of Souls

Vs Brood Mother

Vs Royal Storm

Vs Possessed Kenshi