What's new

Godzilla: King of The Monsters

UPDATE:

A prequel graphic novel called Godzilla: Aftershock is being released to promote Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

"A new threat is rising, bringing with it devastating earthquakes, and possessing an unstoppable urge to destroy. Godzilla: Aftershock is yet another exhilarating entry into the canon of the MonsterVerse."

"The brilliant and driven Monarch operative Dr. Emma Russell races to stop the threat as clues emerge to reveal a terrible secret, a tragedy of apocalyptic proportions from the distant past that changed the course of human history, is returning to threaten it once more. A shadowy figure stalks Emma's every move as she travels the globe to uncover secrets, while Godzilla clashes in an ancient rivalry as old as the earth itself. The fate of the world lies in the balance in an epic confrontation that no Godzilla fan will want to miss."

Releases April 2019 by Legendary Comics!
:D Both in comic shops and online shops (Amazon for example)

so am I the only one who thinks the mountain monster is Anguiris?
It's been confirmed to be a new monster.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
As much as I loved the old Godzilla movies and appreciated that they went for that same feel I really do hope we get WAY more Kaiju screen time and WAY less humans. If I had wanted to see a movie about a battalion of soldiers trying to disarm a nuke I would have bought tickets to THAT and not Godzilla. Just seeing them show bits on TV and constantly cutting away to focus on humans I could care less about was frustrating. The sentiment of "LET THEM FIGHT" was all too felt. The classic Godzillas, the Transformers, the Alien vs Predator movies, etc. keep suffering from too much focus on unnecessary human characters and not enough on plot allowing us to get to know/care about the real main characters. Sure it's slightly harder with Godzilla but the Transformers and Predators are sentient species with already anthropomorphised personalities that could have carried a plot without overdone, bland human stereotypes being dead plot weight.

As much as I loved the old Godzilla movies and appreciated that they went for that same feel I really do hope we get WAY more Kaiju screen time and WAY less humans. If I had wanted to see a movie about a battalion of soldiers trying to disarm a nuke I would have bought tickets to THAT and not Godzilla. Just seeing them show bits on TV and constantly cutting away to focus on humans I could care less about was frustrating. The sentiment of "LET THEM FIGHT" was all too felt. The classic Godzillas, the Transformers, the Alien vs Predator movies, etc. keep suffering from too much focus on unnecessary human characters and not enough on plot allowing us to get to know/care about the real main characters. Sure it's slightly harder with Godzilla but the Transformers and Predators are sentient species with already anthropomorphised personalities that could have carried a plot without overdone, bland human stereotypes being dead plot weight.
INCOMING RANT

It wasn't even that they kept cutting away, that's normal, it's that they kept cutting away before Godzilla or either of the MUTOs could do something cool. And the humans were boring. We need interesting humans to keep the movie entertaining while we wait for the real stars of the flick, the monsters. And really the whole movie should be enjoyable, not just the monster parts. You can partly blame the U.S. military for that, by helping make the film their requirement is they can't lose (I wish I was making this up) so they rather be seen as incompetent than losing by nothing or worse getting a bunch of civilians killed by shooting Godzilla through the Golden Gate Bridge. At least when the JSDF lose in the Japanese films they come off as competent and knowing what they are doing, the monsters are just too powerful to beat.

Can't have Godzilla kill any of our men and women in green cause we need to cheer him on...cept we do that with Kong all the time.

Oh and the EMP? Convenient way to not have a battle where the military losses to the monsters. You know, one of the things that people go in a daikaiju film expecting. There monsters, let them be monsters. It's so dumb, the military is we wanna be taken seriously. You're using a kaiju film, something aimed at boys, as a recruitment ad. You're already a joke.

End rant

I think they learned their lesson if Kong: Skull Island is anything to go by, you can tell the military had nothing to do with making that film cause King Kong destroyed one of the U.S. Army's Sky Devil helicopter platoon (which does not exist, even more evidence they didn't help) and we got to see King Kong and the Skullcrawlers be giant monsters.

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
so am I the only one who thinks the mountain monster is Anguiris?
No, a few people are swearing up and down that its him, but apparently it’s not. There are no other monsters from Toho besides the four they revealed long ago. Again, apparently.

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
I feel like if they would have shown the airport fight, as well as the female Muto tearing through Las Vegas, then the film would have gotten much better numbers at the box office. There was a pretty big drop after the first weekend, more so than was expected, and that mostly due to those cutaways. Even if it was just an extra 5 minutes, a lot of really cool shit can happen that would have made audiences go nuts over.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
My father has the original Godzilla called Gorjira? Forget how you spell it, Japanese I think. It's a bit different from the original way back well the American version and Japanese version were different, similar but different.

Anyway this movie looks sweet, loved the one few years ago. So pumped for the next film where he will fight King Kong, I think they'll fight then team up against someone else.

I feel like if they would have shown the airport fight, as well as the female Muto tearing through Las Vegas, then the film would have gotten much better numbers at the box office. There was a pretty big drop after the first weekend, more so than was expected, and that mostly due to those cutaways. Even if it was just an extra 5 minutes, a lot of really cool shit can happen that would have made audiences go nuts over.
Probably cause the money went to getting Bryan Cranston.

My father has the original Godzilla called Gorjira? Forget how you spell it, Japanese I think. It's a bit different from the original way back well the American version and Japanese version were different, similar but different.

Anyway this movie looks sweet, loved the one few years ago. So pumped for the next film where he will fight King Kong, I think they'll fight then team up against someone else.
I hope we get Maser trucks, tanks and jets, if not this film then Godzilla vs Kong.

They're a classic.

It makes sense that the military would start developing heat based energy weapons when missiles failed and several monsters have shown that they use heat based energy attacks to harm each other.

I hope they go with the classic design where it's an experiment gun pulled on a trolley by a truck.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/aliens_sdf/type66_maser_beam_tank.html

Those things are cool. And not too advance to be seen at too sci-fi-ish but something that could be made on a short notice, like an experimental weapons.

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Probably cause the money went to getting Bryan Cranston.

I hope we get Maser trucks, tanks and jets, if not this film then Godzilla vs Kong.

They're a classic.

It makes sense that the military would start developing heat based energy weapons when missiles failed and several monsters have shown that they use heat based energy attacks to harm each other.

I hope they go with the classic design where it's an experiment gun pulled on a trolley by a truck.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/aliens_sdf/type66_maser_beam_tank.html

Those things are cool. And not too advance to be seen at too sci-fi-ish but something that could be made on a short notice, like an experimental weapons.
Yep, those would be sick to see now!! Hope so man. I also remember and have some of the goofier Godzilla's, the ones like where he and Jet Jaguar team up against those two monsters lmao...

I would love to see Mechagodzilla in 2019.

Former singer of System of A Down doing a cover of Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla guessing this is the end credits theme.

Also the Aftershock Graphic Novel has been delayed but is coming out in May.