What's new

Goddess of War - Wonder Woman Breakdown

Should she have an air and/or low bracelet's for projectiles only?

• Air Bracelets (DF1 midair)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Low Bracelets (DF1D)

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Neither, her lore is the only one that doesn't apply in this roster -___-

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Both Air & Low

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
So I'll most likely do a video in the next few days to go over the gist of her and she comes with, but this thread is kinda a merger for her tech, combos and MU discussion/matches and overall discussion; and possible move changes. More like a rough draft before an actual full blown WW guide.

Currently, I think she's incredibly good but incredibly fair. She has no means to open someone up freely via a crossup or a 50/50; she has to resort to punishing, whiff punishing, and punishing people pressing buttons. But I feel like she does it so well that it gets the job done.

***For the matches, it's to show how I deal or don't deal lol, in certain situations. It's still very much a learning process since it's only been a few days, but just to show more or less her strengths and weaknesses and what can be improved upon. The videos posted in the OP will be changed and updated like every few weeks and/or if a good set comes along***

Some Tech regarding her bracelets:

Bnb's for midscreen, corner, and non wall bounce + trait setups and combos:

Matches/sets on her current (05-18-17) meta:

Wonder Woman Breakdown:

@TheGabStandard @EMPRESS_SunFire @Skeezer12 @Lex Luthor II @FacelessMan @Iceysparkz @Saboteur-6 @AK Stormthegates @shyndoa @Ryu Hayabusa @NeroOps @Nivek @Yoaks @Jaiyson @Eddy Wang @SadoDragon @ChatterBox @Grawlix @StormGoddess @TarkatanDentist @AeroGrunt

Anyone I missed in tagging, I'm very sorry...I tried to get everyone in but kinda lost my patience a little going page by page and jumping tabs lol...

Last edited:

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
***My current thoughts on her and related to the poll (DB1 inputs, my bad) :

I feel that even though she holds her own against a decent portion of the cast, heavy zoning hinders her a lot. She can't safely build meter from fullscreen (nor upclose), let alone having any fullscreen presence, so MBrolls aren't always available as an option for her. And even if they were, you'd need at least 2 bars to then be able to make your hits count, or to establish respect with a blocked Amalthea Bash*MB, but still not opening them up. I feel like adding an air and low bracelets to specifically parry projectiles would help her build that meter from the zoning to then have access to other tools.

If she has no bar and manages to walk the opponent to the corner, more often than not, she only was able to use 1-3 specials and still has no meter while she's there, so she still poses minimal threat. Having these bracelets wouldn't affect her other MU's whatsoever because there would be nothing to parry. It can be designed to not build any meter unless it's a successful parry, so that way she doesn't just freely build meter in the air.

For the only character without an option fullscreen, doesn't get in for free (a leap, EXcatdash, a charge) and no means of building meter efficiently versus a zoner, I don't think it's impractical. She shouldn't have to hold a meter deficit or zoning/range deficit and still have no means to open up the opponent when she's in. If they intend on keeping a notorious airborne character grounded, at least let her turtle when played right.

idk, these are just my two cents. I don't think she's bad at all to be honest, but those MU's are stupidly obnoxious.

Last edited:

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
Great breakdown man! Would you say it's worth it to go for trait setup after combos over damage? I don't have the game yet because lol EU release date

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
Great breakdown man! Would you say it's worth it to go for trait setup after combos over damage? I don't have the game yet because lol EU release date
Thanks! And as of now, it really depends on how the pace of the match is going. If it's a zoning intensive MU, I'd always go for the trait because there's a 3/5 chance of getting a buff that will help; Demeter reduces all damage you take, Athena buffs the shields to hinder zoning a bit, & Hermes gives the airdash for added mobility.

If it's a MU with minimal to no projectiles I go either way. Trait up and then back dash and turtle, or go for a few percent more and still turtle after. I've noticed having trait on, seems to scare the opponent no matter what, so that helps too lol.

For the corner, I almost always go for a lasso grab ender because it puts you in a sweet spot to lasso them on wakeup while still being a good distance away. That and also because I don't know every single wakeup frame data yet, so I don't for sure yet who I can or can't trait up on without fearing getting hit if they tech or not.

If you're close to closing out a match, then I just try to go as optimal as I can and end in a MBlasso grab.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Enjoyed the video's. I look forward to anymore that you should make. Some good play. Way to stick those B3's after the F2,3. Tough connection IMO, I manage to get about 4/10 currently :(

I agree with your assessments thus far though. I hate to say it but characters deemed fair generally end up middle of the pack.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I'm at work so I can't watch the videos yet but I definitely agree that she needs a little something to help against zoning and deflecting projectiles makes the most sense. I mean she's wearing bracelets that have a whole 70+ year established gimmick of deflecting things and it's arguably one of the weaker parts of her core game design. Plus, she literally has a shield, a physical tool of war whose whole purpose is to block and reflect things. :mad: Sure, there's gear specials to incorporate projectile immunity/mobility but since it's not in her core build, it won't be used in competitive modes/offline.

My dream of a trait buff or MB parry resulting in a chunky projectile +frame reflect to let her get in is not going to happen.

Currently, I think she's incredibly good but incredibly fair. She has no means to open someone up freely via a crossup or a 50/50; she has to resort to punishing, whiff punishing, and punishing people pressing buttons. But I feel like she does it so well that it gets the job done.
I agree but see that has me worried though because to me that basically translates to "once people know WW's offense is limited, she's going to have an even harder time opening people up close range." She feels more ranged/sweep distance oriented this time around. Like I find myself using Shield Toss and Insta Air Down Toss a lot to harass.

Last edited:

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
WoWo has a very awkward fighting style, she is not a zoning character or rushdown character. What made her work in first game has been removed in 2nd without fixing her awkward fighting game. Low bracelets would be cool but unfair for zoning characters. It would nullify zoning completely.

She needs 3 tools to be effective.

1. Parry to reflect projectiles.
2. Air dive shield move to be part base moveset and not an extra ability.
3. Her straight Amazonian punch from first game.

Are you all aware that NRS has put in "ability gear" in this game? Apparently WW has an ability gear that makes her advance toward her opponent with her shield up blocking projectiles. The fact that this special is tied to an ability slot is ludicrous dumb design...(you can't use abilities when gear is turned off)

You can see this in action in one of the Watchtower twitch streams from NRS when they did a WW breakdown.

She also gets a air-downwards amalthea bash and a ground-sliding move with her shield. But as I said before, all tied to ability gear...zzz

Last edited:

UnD34D

Noob
I have a lot of trouble hitting the b3 after d1,2~b,f+1 MB~ f2,3. Any tips with that? Is it really tight to hit?

Serious question, does wonder woman have any low attacks?

I know she has the low combo starter, but it comes out slow.
there isn't a real real to duck against her is there? because if you duck, you eat overheads into combos
but the low combo starter isn't much of a threat since you have to be right next to the opponent.

seems like D1 is her main punisher up close ant that's really all she has?

Are you all aware that NRS has put in "ability gear" in this game? Apparently WW has an ability gear that makes her advance toward her opponent with her shield up blocking projectiles. The fact that this special is tied to an ability slot is ludicrous dumb design...(you can't use abilities when gear is turned off)

You can see this in action in one of the Watchtower twitch streams from NRS when they did a WW breakdown.

She also gets a air-downwards amalthea bash and a ground-sliding move with her shield. But as I said before, all tied to ability gear...zzz
I'll be genuinely quite surprised if NRS don't, at some point, patch in a 'competitive lite' style mode, where it's like current competitive mode save for gear-exclusive specials being available.

On a side note, @Akromaniac27 I actually really appreciate being tagged in this thread - sadly can't contribute much yet due to not having the game (lol UK) but I'm happy you included me in the meantime. :)

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
Great breakdown, still learning with her. She's definitely not a dud, but she does struggle in some MUs pretty hard.

Overall though, she's strong and very enjoyable.

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
Added a fair chunk of matches in the OP, between 2 videos. The first is general ranked, coming across a wide array of players and characters, and the second video consists of matches where she has to rushdown and more or less my approach on it. I've recently noticed how amazing her jump (neutral, forward and back) is as well as her back and front walk and you can see it in use throughout the second video (more so than the first where she's turtling half the time lol):

Stanlos

Noob
WoWo has a very awkward fighting style, she is not a zoning character or rushdown character. What made her work in first game has been removed in 2nd without fixing her awkward fighting game. Low bracelets would be cool but unfair for zoning characters. It would nullify zoning completely.

She needs 3 tools to be effective.

1. Parry to reflect projectiles.
2. Air dive shield move to be part base moveset and not an extra ability.
3. Her straight Amazonian punch from first game.
I love how her straight Amazonian punch (Demigoddess Might) is a gear move available to Superman and Supergirl now. WTF was NRS thinking? I think their LINES ARE REDRAWN cinematic trailer tells how they see the character. Slow plodding tank. But in the DCU that is Barda not Wonder Woman.

yohtha

Undecided
I have a lot of trouble hitting the b3 after d1,2~b,f+1 MB~ f2,3. Any tips with that? Is it really tight to hit?
You do have a really small window to hit b3. You need to hit b3 just as her kicking foot touches the ground. Some people may not like this, but I found it helpful to mash b3 like 3 times starting right before that foot touches the ground. Obviously, it would be better to practice the timing, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.