What's new

Glitch Canceling

I hear about people glitch canceling and i saw ram do a couple in extreme lag and i was wondering if there was a list or a video with some examples of who and how to do them

Ram23

Noob
hum.. ultimatemk explained it to us though. :]
you can make an additional special move by pressing a command immediately(very quickly) after some hit (like jk, hp, lp etc).. and it doesn't work in every round. i think it's random.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Glitch Canceling:

In 2D MK games, one randomly selected player in every round has frame advantage. This means if two attacks connect on the exact same frame, one character will always win. This happens because the other character has an extra tick before contact on their attacks. The result for that player, is glitch canceling. So let it be known, only one character has frame advantage, and the other character, can glitch cancel.

Many special moves in MK have a number of hits you are allowed to perform before that move is locked. Moves like the Harpoon and teleport punch have a limit of 4 hits and doing any more than that disables the corresponding special moves. MKII did not really have a feature like this, but they started implementing time limit usage on moves, which still exists in UMK3. You can cancel a LP, HP, JP, or JK on the frame of contact, into a special move with a hit limit, one hit beyond that limit. In other games this technique is referred to as "Just Frames" meaning essentially you have just one frame in 60 to get this to work. Something else to note is that glitch canceling is not always available every round of every match.

He Is Close

The Puppet Master
Konqrr said:
That's not glitch canceling ...
Sorry everyone, Konqrr is very right. I have a tendency of syncing the "Impossible" along with "Glitch Canceling aka this is beginning to hurt my hands now".

He Is Close

The Puppet Master
Konqrr said:
No need to be rude.
Konqrr you know me better than that bro, I was just really confused but once I thought about I came to realize that you were right, thats all. Sorry Bro.

BTW, this is my 2nd most favorite combo in the game, I've gotten 3 volleys on XBLA but I cant get not 1 on mame for some reason. :mad: PLEASE HELP

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The Ice Shower infinite is not glitch canceling in the most technical sense, but you are coincidentally using a similar timing as glitch canceling to perform it, which is like a no neutral frames cancel, or a "just frames" as it's called in Tekken. A glitch cancel isn't required to perform a last frame cancel, a glitch cancel specifically refers to a cancel done when the frame of contact has reached the point of inevitability, but still cancels the attack into the special when the special should be disabled by the hit limit. Since there is no hit limit for the Ice Shower, it's not a glitch cancel, but you do need to perform it like a glitch cancel in order to make it work, and I think you even need to be on specific stages for specific characters to do it based on the height of the floor, I could be wrong. So far as I know, you cannot glitch cancel during "ice skate," but I could be wrong on that too. Sometimes certain types of combos require you to have frame advantage or they simply will not work because they are that specific.

An example where you need to be on the DISadvantage is for Jade vs the Male Ninjas, do her 4 hit stick combo mid screen, and then try to combo a standing LK after. If you connect it, you have the disadvantage, and if you try several times and cannot, you are on the frame advantage.

For Jade, this means you can cancel a second hit before the Dash Kick, but only via glitch cancel, when you can connect the LK. For whatever reason, with the other character's frames being updated 1 tick ahead, it makes them one extra frame vulnerable before hitting the ground I guess. It's really hard to explain. It almost doesn't make sense because with Jade's kick hitting a frame late it shouldn't work. To test this, perform the combo in MAME, but test until Jade is at frame disadvantage, pause the game during the drop after the last hit and frame advance using Shift+P. You will see the animation change to this frame
, stop when it changes to this, then advance just one more tick, then press and hold LK, and advance until it hits.

Holding the button and advancing will apply the button press to the next frame. For special moves, you need to hold any direction for 2 ticks to test, so if you want to try to combo a special the instant a move finishes, and it has 3 inputs, you need to give yourself about 6 frames to do it. Now reset the game and test until Jade has frame advantage, test the combo again, and the kick will miss. The reason you are pressing the button before Jade's animation finishes, is because you want the attack to start instantly after the animation ends, which compensates for the the two frame buffer, so again you have to press before the animation finishes to time it right, but any sooner and the attack will not register because it calls the attack on the very last frame of the staff animation, instead of after. this appears to be the one and only frame where the kick will combo, but it won't combo on the advantage. Yeah.

Would frame advantage and disadvantage also apply to Jax's 7 hit combo in which the last hit is replaced by a High Kick instead of back+HP? I've noticed that sometimes I would connect the HK and sometimes I would miss it in the same scenario. I also rarely get the HK on Cyber ninjas, but when they get hit they are in standing frames instead of juggle frames. Would that make it blockable? BTW This is on XBL.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
OUIJA WARRIOR said:
Would frame advantage and disadvantage also apply to Jax's 7 hit combo in which the last hit is replaced by a High Kick instead of back+HP? I've noticed that sometimes I would connect the HK and sometimes I would miss it in the same scenario. I also rarely get the HK on Cyber ninjas, but when they get hit they are in standing frames instead of juggle frames. Would that make it blockable? BTW This is on XBL.
I'm pretty sure it does. You can connect the HK on Sheeva mid screen I think all the time with the right timing, but for Robots you might need a specific frame buffer. The Robots have the slightly high ground collision box, similar to Sheeva, but not as much. Even though it hits them standing, as long as it combos, it is unblockable. For some reason after autocombos (excluding pop ups) the frames of animation between hitting the ground, and the last frame before it displays the hits and damage, all frames are 100% vulnerable based on their specific collision, which is why you can do unblockable sweeps, LKs, ducking attacks, etc, so late. You can connect the HK causing standing sell animation on male ninjas all the time with the correct timing, for example.

Shock said:
I'm pretty sure it does. You can connect the HK on Sheeva mid screen I think all the time with the right timing, but for Robots you might need a specific frame buffer. The Robots have the slightly high ground collision box, similar to Sheeva, but not as much. Even though it hits them standing, as long as it combos, it is unblockable. For some reason after autocombos (excluding pop ups) the frames of animation between hitting the ground, and the last frame before it displays the hits and damage, all frames are 100% vulnerable based on their specific collision, which is why you can do unblockable sweeps, LKs, ducking attacks, etc, so late. You can connect the HK causing standing sell animation on male ninjas all the time with the correct timing, for example.
Ah ok. That would explain why people can get extra hits on those characters in the corner after a knockback type of combo. Thanks Shock.