What's new

Git Gud w/ Red Hood - The Official Red Hood Combo Thread

SWonder916

When's DragonBall?
Been practicing with Jason for the first time tonight and I must admit I'm having the most trouble I've had with any character thus far with consistently landing combos and special cancels. Can't get Mine out after D2, had to substitute F2,3 in the BnB instead of 3,2 and can't connect most of the corner combos either. Just more practice, poor execution or is my boi that tough to get a grip on?

G11OST

Noob
Been practicing with Jason for the first time tonight and I must admit I'm having the most trouble I've had with any character thus far with consistently landing combos and special cancels. Can't get Mine out after D2, had to substitute F2,3 in the BnB instead of 3,2 and can't connect most of the corner combos either. Just more practice, poor execution or is my boi that tough to get a grip on?

Probably just practice timing, I haven't found his execution to be too hard compared to some of the other characters.

For connecting 3 after ji3, play with the timing of ji3

What d2 combo are u working on?

For b2 3 corner combos pay attention to height of your opponent and sound ques until u* get his timing down.

Hoods playstyle DOES seems a lil difficult to pick up tho, u need to be patient with that, it is what it is

Slavaslave

Professional Casual
I've been practicing the 32xxmb mine b3 j3 32xx43321+3 for about 3 hours now and I cannot get it consistently. I don't get it. No other character has been this difficult to get timing for. I have tried delaying j3, walking forward after it and delaying the b3, none of which have given me any consistency. In fact the only way I've manage to land it is by delaying b3 absurdly long (to the point of almost whiffing) and then walking forward a frame before 32. Why is this so difficult? I legitimately went through the GIFs in the thread frame by frame to try and figure it out and I cannot recreate the combo.

In the GIF I do not see a delayed b3, I do not see a walk forward I just see 32 connecting on air, which it does not do for me.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
I've been practicing the 32xxmb mine b3 j3 32xx43321+3 for about 3 hours now and I cannot get it consistently. I don't get it. No other character has been this difficult to get timing for. I have tried delaying j3, walking forward after it and delaying the b3, none of which have given me any consistency. In fact the only way I've manage to land it is by delaying b3 absurdly long (to the point of almost whiffing) and then walking forward a frame before 32. Why is this so difficult? I legitimately went through the GIFs in the thread frame by frame to try and figure it out and I cannot recreate the combo.

In the GIF I do not see a delayed b3, I do not see a walk forward I just see 32 connecting on air, which it does not do for me.
Yeah, this thing is a bit tricky.

What you have to do is delay your b3 when you see the opponent midway or lower when fall down from the explosion of your bomb. Then you time your j3 such that by the time you walk forward slightly and do 32 x 4332 1+3 the 3 hits then and they're higher in the air. I'd experiment on that and see which timing works for you

It sounds silly typed out but it works and is consistent.

Explaining this combo is kinda hard. But I'll try to do a play by play.

• [Insert Starter]
  • BF1B*MB
  • B3 (Try to delay the B3 as much as possible. It seems the lower to the ground the opponent is / the later you time it, the better. Thanks @Slavaslave )
  • JI3 (This is where it gets tricky. You want RH to be touching the opponent before inputting the JI3. So, slightly after he flips forward he'll start to rub against the opponent. This is when you wanna connect the JI3. You'll know you've done it right if his leg Hits under the opponent.)
  • 32 (After connecting the JI3, while in the air, hold forward. When you touch the ground keep holding forward only for a brief second. You'll hardly notice him moving forward at all. This should help the 32 connect. Fair warning: expect a lot of accidental F3s.)
  • 4332 1+3 | Grab (If done correctly the grab at the end of the trait combo should connect)
If it still doesn't seem possible to you, you can substitute the 32 with F23 for slightly less damage. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

DeftMonk

Noob
is the problem you are losing too much height after 32? or 332 grab is not coming out? btw whoever made those gifs is a boss. Shit is extremely useful.

Last edited:

Icefyre

Shadows

• [Insert Starter]
  • BF1B*MB
  • B3 (The B3 only has to be slightly delayed. If you try doing it asap it'll whiff. Your goal is to hit the B3 just as soon as it'll hit. So keep practicing until you find the earliest timing.)
  • JI3 (This is where it gets tricky. You want RH to be touching the opponent before inputting the JI3. So, slightly after he flips forward he'll start to rub against the opponent. This is when you wanna connect the JI3. You'll know you've done it right if his leg Hits under the opponent.)
  • 32 (After connecting the JI3, while in the air, hold forward. When you touch the ground keep holding forward only for a brief second. You'll hardly notice him moving forward at all. This should help the 32 connect. Fair warning: expect a lot of accidental F3s.)
  • 4332 1+3 | Grab (If done correctly the grab at the end of the trait combo should connect)
If it still doesn't seem possible to you, you can substitute the 32 with F23 for slightly less damage. Hope this helps.
This is great and your way works well, but I just wanted to say one thing: for me, personally, I find a lot more success getting this combo down consistently when I delay the b3 as much as possible. When the opponent does that weird bounce that's awfully low to the ground when you delay the b3, it's an extremely easy connect into the 32 xx 4332 1+3. Just a personal preference, but it works consistently for me.

On that "it works for me" note, for those having trouble with the trait coming out consistently: I tend to think in terms of patterns, so my pattern for his trait is 4 33 (slight pause) 2 1+3. I basically double tap the 3, give a minor pause, then double tap the next two in the string. I haven't dropped a trait ender since doing it that way. I imagine most RH mains have their own way of getting that consistently, but I've seen more than one post mention how inconsistent his trait can be, so just trying to give anybody with trouble an alternative option to try.

Crusty

• [Insert Starter]
  • BF1B*MB
  • B3 (The B3 only has to be slightly delayed. If you try doing it asap it'll whiff. Your goal is to hit the B3 just as soon as it'll hit. So keep practicing until you find the earliest timing.)
Confused and sounds contradictory. Please clarify.

:confused:

Confused and sounds contradictory. Please clarify.

:confused:
Sorry lol. It sounds weird on paper. But basically, after you launch an opponent with MB mine you can do a B3. The issue is that if you do a B3 too early, the soonest possible frame, you'll go right underneath the opponent. Now, if you were to wait slightly, not even a second really, the B3 will connect. I was saying that to ensure the whole combo connects you should try to find the earliest timing to which the B3 will connect without you going underneath the opponent. Hope that helps.

This is great and your way works well, but I just wanted to say one thing: for me, personally, I find a lot more success getting this combo down consistently when I delay the b3 as much as possible. When the opponent does that weird bounce that's awfully low to the ground when you delay the b3, it's an extremely easy connect into the 32 xx 4332 1+3. Just a personal preference, but it works consistently for me.

On that "it works for me" note, for those having trouble with the trait coming out consistently: I tend to think in terms of patterns, so my pattern for his trait is 4 33 (slight pause) 2 1+3. I basically double tap the 3, give a minor pause, then double tap the next two in the string. I haven't dropped a trait ender since doing it that way. I imagine most RH mains have their own way of getting that consistently, but I've seen more than one post mention how inconsistent his trait can be, so just trying to give anybody with trouble an alternative option to try.
Hey, if it works for you it work! It's possible that the timing for the B3 may not be as important as a factor as i thought to connect the combo, or just the B3 just works at the earliest or latest possible frame. Either way, whatever makes it more consistent for you.

Edit:

Actually, I may try your way later. If it is more consistent the more you delay the B3 (harder to fuck up, especially online) than your way may be the most optimal. Tbh, once I started to connect the combo I never bothered to see if timing the B3 later would help. So thanks for the idea.

Double edit:

Yeah, delaying the B3 as much as possible makes the combo far more consistent. Good catch. I'll update thr play by play.

Last edited:

Bender

Product Manager. xBone tag: I3end3r.

I use 32xx mb close mine b3 j3 b1 323
for hard knockdown and then throw out a far mine. Saves a bar and you get comparable dmg and setup.

You can also end with j3 b1 b13 for a little more dmg and full screen knockdown depending on the matchup

Slavaslave

Professional Casual
is the problem you are losing too much height after 32? or 332 grab is not coming out? btw whoever made those gifs is a boss. Shit is extremely useful.
It's all about the connect. I drop the inputs from time to time just because I'm not as used to them as others, but @Boss Savage method is getting me the most consistent. Now it's a matter of making it muscle memory.

Icefyre

Shadows
I know, letting a little bit more time pass and then ill go through and clean it up. for now I've just been copy and pasting what others are posting so that its all in the op
Is this ever going to happen? Or does @Crusty need to make that optimal combo thread he mentioned?

I'm not trying to be pushy or mean, but it's been almost a month and a half since this post...

Crusty

Is this ever going to happen? Or does @Crusty need to make that optimal combo thread he mentioned?

I'm not trying to be pushy or mean, but it's been almost a month and a half since this post...
Ill give it the benefit at least till the patch drops. At most two.

portent

Noob

I actually micro-walk forward. This helps delay the B3, it also hits deeper and make my J3 closer so the entire combo happens closer and higher.

For me at least, this option removes the accidental F3's in the middle of the combo. You may get a few of them at the beginning now (when you micro walk forward), but at least you can convert off that mistake. If you get a F3 after the micro walk, pick your poison; f23 xx trait, b32 xx anything, etc.

Crusty

What u converting for f3, been missing with zero I forgot what I use to do:confused:
Off a MB f3 I typically go for 3,2 x 4332 D2 or 4332 1+3 to switch sides.

If they are cornered and I want to spend and extra bar

MB F3 3,2 x MB Up Stars 3,2 x Lunge

G11OST

Noob
Off a MB f3 I typically go for 3,2 x 4332 D2 or 4332 1+3 to switch sides.

If they are cornered and I want to spend and extra bar

MB F3 3,2 x MB Up Stars 3,2 x Lunge
K I been doing
f3 j1 22 313
F3 j1 22 31 mine
F3 j1 f21 trait combo
F3 j1 22 112 mine
I swear I was doing something else tho

Imma try yours see if one of those clicks as what I use to do

Rudi

Noob
Hi guys. First post here but thought I'd contribute to the Redhood combos. From my testing, I believe this may be the most damaging F3 corner combo:

I hate how dead this thread is. The OP hasn't been updated in ages. Does anyone want to do the honors of compiling all of RH's optimal combos into a single post? I would. But I don't know many of his optimal combos honestly. That's kinda why I suck with him. I was hoping the OP would have been updated by now. But I guess not.

Worst case scenario, I'll just have to research it all myself and post my findings here. Wish me luck.

Crusty

I hate how dead this thread is. The OP hasn't been updated in ages. Does anyone want to do the honors of compiling all of RH's optimal combos into a single post? I would. But I don't know many of his optimal combos honestly. That's kinda why I suck with him. I was hoping the OP would have been updated by now. But I guess not.

Worst case scenario, I'll just have to research it all myself and post my findings here. Wish me luck.
I'll have a discussion with artist and co in the discord so we can compile his optimal bnbs off every starter first.

The reason I planned on holding off was to wait till patch season was over, though now that you mention it, we have no idea when that is.

I usually have the you can never be too careful approach but it honestly depends if you help me weigh the pros and cons.