What's new

Git Gud w/ Red Hood - The Official Red Hood Combo Thread

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
any consensus yet on what his main bnb's are?
In terms of midscreen for a bar (he doesn't have much meterless midscreen outside starter into special or into trait or into a mine) that's close to optimal with consistent execution (for me anyway) I use:

Starter x MineEx, B3, J3, 32 x Trait.

End trait however you want. Burn another bar for the restand or if you catch em lower in the air as you're going in to trait you can end with the low or OH. Throw Ender is the most damage, but it'll whiff if you don't have them high enough. Kind of annoying but Ive got it where I mostly don't catch them low any more. My execution is complete shit, so anyone who's even average shouldn't have s ton of trouble with some practice.

I honestly think this is pretty close to optimal midscreen unless there is a combo route I'm unaware of. In terms of pure swag there might be some more damaging stuff but nothing that I know of that's practical outside execution level: Korean Tekken Player.

Some tricks to landing it consistently are to delay the B3. Catch the bounce from the MB mine pretty low. Like a lot of combos you want the J3 to catch them late as they are falling so they juggle higher. Taking a microstep forward as you land after the j3 stops the 32 whiffing as much, this also helps as a frame kill because if you juggle them high enough off the j3 you have to let them fall the *tiniest bit* before the 32 will connect.

Some people use J2 instead of j3 and some people use f23 instead of 32. I think the damage difference between 32 and f23 is like.. 11 or 12 with low or oH ender and 9 or 10 with throw ender, so it's pretty negligent.. but didn't find f23 any easier, though some people do.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
In terms of midscreen for a bar (he doesn't have much meterless midscreen outside starter into special or into trait or into a mine) that's close to optimal with consistent execution (for me anyway) I use:

Starter x MineEx, B3, J3, 32 x Trait.

End trait however you want. Burn another bar for the restand or if you catch em lower in the air as you're going in to trait you can end with the low or OH. Throw Ender is the most damage, but it'll whiff if you don't have them high enough. Kind of annoying but Ive got it where I mostly don't catch them low any more. My execution is complete shit, so anyone who's even average shouldn't have s ton of trouble with some practice.

I honestly think this is pretty close to optimal midscreen unless there is a combo route I'm unaware of. In terms of pure swag there might be some more damaging stuff but nothing that I know of that's practical outside execution level: Korean Tekken Player.

Some tricks to landing it consistently are to delay the B3. Catch the bounce from the MB mine pretty low. Like a lot of combos you want the J3 to catch them late as they are falling so they juggle higher. Taking a microstep forward as you land after the j3 stops the 32 whiffing as much, this also helps as a frame kill because if you juggle them high enough off the j3 you have to let them fall the *tiniest bit* before the 32 will connect.

Some people use J2 instead of j3 and some people use f23 instead of 32. I think the damage difference between 32 and f23 is like.. 11 or 12 with low or oH ender and 9 or 10 with throw ender, so it's pretty negligent.. but didn't find f23 any easier, though some people do.
I've found hitting the j3 super deep almost guarantees them being high enough for 32 into trait throw more than anything else

Been reading through this forum as well as testing stuff that isnt listed, but does this character have ANY guaranteed set ups/pressure tools, as far as i can tell invincible wake ups make this character garbage lol

G11OST

Noob
Been reading through this forum as well as testing stuff that isnt listed, but does this character have ANY guaranteed set ups/pressure tools, as far as i can tell invincible wake ups make this character garbage lol

Punish or counter wakeup to get them to think twice about waking up, that's when the mind games really start

Look at it as the wakeup system keeping red hood honest, not making him garbage, just honest

Punish or counter wakeup to get them to think twice about waking up, that's when the mind games really start

Look at it as the wakeup system keeping red hood honest, not making him garbage, just honest
I get where you're coming from but there are other characters in the game that can do more damage and get restand set ups that lead to plus frames and eliminate wake up options, one of those characters being firestorm who many consider low tier, so how does Red Hood stand up?

G11OST

Noob
I get where you're coming from but there are other characters in the game that can do more damage and get restand set ups that lead to plus frames and eliminate wake up options, one of those characters being firestorm who many consider low tier, so how does Red Hood stand up?
Not familiar with firestorm sorry

Well... To me it seems hood is more about control than damage

So I'm not the best hood but I've been devoted on making him my main, so with saying that, here's some stuff that I've found that's been working for me

Are you keeping mines on the field as much as possible? Mines are hoods best friend, once there's a mine on the field it's your turn.

Use 313 or b2x4 for neutral
D1 and 22 for when your right next to your opponent
Df1 as a quick far reaching punish/check
B13 to advance

Again tho, I leveled up a lot with hood once I started keeping my mines up, on the real

Hope this helps

I've noticed you can't really setup his mines like you can jokers teeth for htb, they explode a lil too fast before you can do like an overhead jump in etc. so what's his best mine setups? I'm guessing a good one is 112>mine?

Not familiar with firestorm sorry

Well... To me it seems hood is more about control than damage

So I'm not the best hood but I've been devoted on making him my main, so with saying that, here's some stuff that I've found that's been working for me

Are you keeping mines on the field as much as possible? Mines are hoods best friend, once there's a mine on the field it's your turn.

Use 313 or b2x4 for neutral
D1 and 22 for when your right next to your opponent
Df1 as a quick far reaching punish/check
B13 to advance

Again tho, I leveled up a lot with hood once I started keeping my mines up, on the real

Hope this helps
See this seems like it would work, but cancelling anything except 11 into trait can be interrupted, D1 has pathetically bad range. Hood doesnt have a DF1 that i can think of? And B13 never leaves you in a good spot, on block you're at the perfect range to have your advancing highs low profiled and poked out of, and you're not at enough advantage to go for a B2 low. If the move hits theyre at full screen and Hoods zoning is sub par so you dont want that either.

Also i really dont feel his mines give you a turn, quite the opposite i feel completely exposed whenever i attampt to go for a mine whether its in neutral or after a knockdown. (none of Hoods knockdown>mine set ups are guaranteed so basically its a guessing game)

Edit: If by DF1 you meant DF3 (his lunge) its full combo punishable on block unless you spend the bar and even then its pretty negative so you give up your turn. Hood always has to spend meter to be safe with specials cuz his safe strings either hit high and wiff everything or leave Hood in a terrible spot on hit.

@Kooron Nation Very interesting video, but thats still a lot of resources to be burning on a semi set up, its not like ur guaranteed to have advantage when invincible wake ups are a thing, Red Hood still always also has to make a guess/read, he essentially sets himself up at the same time is the problem im having.

Not to mention while the vid u shared is some good tech, it doesnt help his god awful neutral, for real, just try playing against someone like Green Lantern, good luck ever winning neutral, Hood literally cant respond to GLs B1.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
@Kooron Nation Very interesting video, but thats still a lot of resources to be burning on a semi set up, its not like ur guaranteed to have advantage when invincible wake ups are a thing, Red Hood still always also has to make a guess/read, he essentially sets himself up at the same time is the problem im having.

Not to mention while the vid u shared is some good tech, it doesnt help his god awful neutral, for real, just try playing against someone like Green Lantern, good luck ever winning neutral, Hood literally cant respond to GLs B1.
There's a video of Sonicfox versing REO's Superman (a character with an amazing neutral) and Sonic does really well, but that's just Sonic being #1.
As lame as it sounds I honestly think the mine IS HIS NEAUTRAL.
We will see how things progress

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
What's meterless optimal dmg from f3 midscreen? I'm doing f3, j1, 22, 32~lunge or mine.

There's a video of Sonicfox versing REO's Superman (a character with an amazing neutral) and Sonic does really well, but that's just Sonic being #1.
I did watch that set actually, yeah its hard to tell when watching sonic as it could easily just be him playing well.

Ugh I was really hoping to not come to that conclusion but yeah it feels more and more like the mine is really his neutral, such a shame, so many wasted buttons T_T

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Not sure if you've used your brain much, but wakeups are a problem for everyone sir.
I don't think Red Hood is garbage because of a system that affects everyone.
Play Black Adam if you want braindead offense.

G11OST

Noob
@sling1414

Yeah Df3, I didn't say to use it to advance, I said use as a quick punish to keep your opponent in check, it's 8 frames and out ranges all your other options.

When a mine is out, it is your turn, if you carelessly try to spam mines, yeah your going to get wrecked

I'm really not sure what to tell you, I think u may be just trying to push buttons, hood may not be for u. Hood is hard to pickup, u just don't learn combos and set ups, u also need to learn spacing, hitboxes, hurtboxes, and frame data.

I somewhat agree. Been pumping work into red hood, learned alot over the last week - especially from crazyfingers tutorial, go check it if you haven't already.

Like that set (sonic v reo), I agree 100%, having a mine out in neutral seems mandatory because it conditions a reaction you can read and helps you control your opponent.

In other comments here, I don't agree that he's a lacklustre character because of wake up options, his combos into htb set ups, staggers, trait pressure and corner game more than make up for wake up problems.
Also been finding b2, b13 are both great tools in neutral once you find your range.

Literally the only thing that has triggered me so far has been getting stuck in the corner vs aquaman as red hood. Lack of wakeups in the corner has meant respecting everything he does and wait for either a pushblock or a tiny window to mb roll - without a bar its rip... but thats off topic in a combo thread

P.s lets have a set soon haha

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
@Kooron NationNot to mention while the vid u shared is some good tech, it doesnt help his god awful neutral, for real, just try playing against someone like Green Lantern, good luck ever winning neutral, Hood literally cant respond to GLs B1.
This right here makes me think this is player issue, not a character issue. Hood has a decent enough neutral, you don't need an 8 frame advancing mid to deal with something like GL b1.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
omg at the people saying he has no setups because of invincible wake ups, the mines STAY ON HIT for christ sake, let alone block, if you think they're gonna wake up, block, and the mine will launch them for a a quick combo, they wake up block? then your plus +50 somethin or whatever is says meterless mine is on block, so go for whatever the hell you want, crossup, chip, etc.

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
omg at the people saying he has no setups because of invincible wake ups, the mines STAY ON HIT for christ sake, let alone block, if you think they're gonna wake up, block, and the mine will launch them for a a quick combo, they wake up block? then your plus +50 somethin or whatever is says meterless mine is on block, so go for whatever the hell you want, crossup, chip, etc.
Mine is not +50 on block, just like Black Adam is not +a billion on block with Lightning Bomb...