What's new

Breakthrough GGA Tommy Wafflez -- SMOKE OF THE WORLD! Winner of Final Round 16

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
We need way more Shang players and Freddy players at the top of our tournaments and life as a Smoke player would be soooo much sweeter! With that said, Wafflez is incredible, and he works WAY more overtime than any other Smoke player in his bad MU's to the point where he can make them look win-able. Super props to my kindred spirit Wafflez as one of the top players in the scene and the Smoke of the world.

Well Smoke did win the MK tournament with the biggest payout in MK history.
Cdjr used smoke in the very last round of the tournament, and not even against reos main. While the tournament was won with smoke, it was more a victory for jax who got Jr much farther through than smoke did. It's debatably not a true tournament win for smoke. Besides, that was a year ago now, it's not even relevant anymore regardless.

I hope this doesn't sound Dick-ish, but as soon as it went it grand finals, I switched off the stream and went to sIeep, I knew Wafflez had it.
I had the same mentality. Watching how dominating waffles was looking, as well as the inconceivable number of comebacks the dude was making, it was obvious the finals were his for the taking.

Because with many characters, like Liu or Shang, there is only a 2 frame gap for D1 smoke bomb (3rd frame trades) when trying to counter poke with their mid.. Checking the opponent to see if they can deal with it is important.

Part of being a good tournament player is seeing what you can get away with on an opponent and taking advantage of it. Never assume your opponent is good under

So any player with 10 frame mid starter has 2 frame window to react else 3rd frame trades, so in total do u mean it's 12 frame so u have two frames to react because of ten frame start up? So can cage interupt consistently d1 smoke bomb with f3 punish , since 9 frame? Thanks.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Soooooo with your logic it's easier to rob a bank than it is to kick over a children's lemonade stand because the reward is higher?
No. By my logic, if robbing a Bank was only a lil bit harder than robbing someone else, then most thieves would rather rob a Bank. Difficulty is relative. The reason I made that point is because, yeah, Smoke's reset isn't that easy, but practicing it is definitely worth it, as opposed to some other things. Sektor's 48% Kombo off of 12B1 starter is a perfect example of this. It's much harder than both Cyrax and Smoke's reset and yet it only gives you 1% more and might be stance specific on some characters.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
first of all because I play kung lao, secondly cyrax is just so much cheaper than smoke, smoke wouldnt be that high on the tier list without resets, cyrax would still be top 8 he still has all those net and command grab resets and breaker traps and breaker combos not too mention you should never ever be able to jump in on cyrax in theory.

and wafflez made the combacks with risky teleports and such, cyrax just throws bombs or net too set you up or just runs up to you with d4.

btw props to wafflez' execution he did hella swag combos.
Yeah. I have some similar bias against Sonya only because of the match up but she maybe she isn't really as messed up.

You kan't jump in on Smoke either though if you don't have air mobility and even then it's extremely risky against a decent Smoke. Smoke's Standing 2 beats Jump Kicks from every practical angle. It's like Liu Kang's standing 2 in terms of Hitbox/Priority. Plus Smoke gets his full reset off an Anti-Air.

You have a point though. Smoke gets free hits in pressure if you don't duck with the life lead but generally they won't kill you. And at least Smoke's kombos are always breaker-able.

Tolkeen

/wrists
Congrats Tommy Wafflez, I hope they gave you a trophy or something for you to make your avatar. Can't wait to hear all the smack talk that comes with this win.

"Oh you beat me...... how many majors have you won again?"

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Congrats Tommy Wafflez, I hope they gave you a trophy or something for you to make your avatar. Can't wait to hear all the smack talk that comes with this win.

"Oh you beat me...... how many majors have you won again?"
He recieved the coveted "Pimp Cup"