What's new

Breakthrough GGA Tommy Wafflez -- SMOKE OF THE WORLD! Winner of Final Round 16

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Great job, but whats with the footsie game, d1 d1 d1 smoke bomb on block, d1 d3 d1 on block . I'm confused this happened every game, can someone explain doing more than one d1 to me. I'm confused.
Apply pressure, chip damage, build meter on block. Pretty much the same concept of run jabs in UMK3.

Apply pressure, chip damage, build meter on block. Pretty much the same concept of run jabs in UMK3.
D1 d1 is not pressure, has next to no chip on block, is -13 and punishable, if u block d1 just straight into mid hitting string, if he tries d1 more than once then full combo boom. Just curious

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Great job, but whats with the footsie game, d1 d1 d1 smoke bomb on block, d1 d3 d1 on block . I'm confused this happened every game, can someone explain doing more than one d1 to me. I'm confused.
Conditioning to block low or counter poke.

I hate watching I though, just punish his poke, you're going to get hit with a smoke bomb eventually but you can at least make him worry about poking you.

D1 d1 is not pressure, has next to no chip on block, is -13 and punishable, if u block d1 just straight into mid hitting string, if he tries d1 more than once then full combo boom. Just curious
he wants you to jump, if you jump he can combo you even if he is at negative, you cant jump out of d1 machinegun. basically taking advantage of bad counterpoke games, but there are also a lot of characters who dont have that good of a poing game to start whiff. also smoke has one of the best d1's in the game. I dont bother using d1 for poking at all but kitana and smoke are a bit different.

Defenestrator

I do windows
D1 also can hit the opponent if they decide to jump, leading to a dash d1 smoke bomb anti air.
Edit: didn't see above post while typing. damn refresh.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
It's only these Smoke idiots that cant get the job done that constantly downplay Smoke.

Massive props to Wafflez showing everyone how the character is meant to be played. Guy just didn't drop anything.
Who downplays smoke besides Frothy if that is what he does. I swear it's like some top bitches and it becomes "the trend."

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
I really don't think so..

Smoke just has different timings for some, I do agree on that but the timing isn't that hard. Definitely not that hard, when you take into account the amount of reward he gets for it.

What I believe is that Cyrax's are harder but you only need to know one. Smoke's are easier but you need to know more.
Soooooo with your logic it's easier to rob a bank than it is to kick over a children's lemonade stand because the reward is higher?

coolwhip

Noob
because cyrax's resets are braindead easy and smoke's are not. Also Cyrax is a much better character overall than Smoke.
I really don't like any argument that refers to execution. I'm not saying you're wrong, but at the highest possible level, it's assumed that you've put enough time in your character to nail his combos consistently (with the occasional drop of course), regardless of the level of difficulty. There are a few exceptions maybe (hell people still mess up Kabal's IAGB or Skarlet's IAD) but as far as combos go, the difficulty argument is thrown out the window once you've practiced long enough (provided we're talking about BNB's and not Tony T/McFly levels of swag). It's not like Wafflez picked up the character last week. Tommy's execution and conversions are godlike, don't get me wrong, but turning this into "Smokes resets are not easy to land" is a bit disingeneous. With a bit of practice, nailing them with consistency is hardly miraculous.

It's like Kabal players saying Kabal takes the most skill due to execution. I heard K7 say this in the stream chat. Now I love K7 and he's hilarious, but this is odd logic. A 5 year old can do Sub Zero's combos, but despite the difference in execution, I'm guessing it would take more skill to win a tournament with Sub Zero due to how hard you have to work and the amount of reads you have to make. Having to spend more time in the lab practicing NDC's doesn't change this fact.

With ALL that said, I agree that Cyrax is a better character than Smoke.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
Great job Wafflez .It's great seeing a character loyalist succeed through discipline and perseverance. You're an inspiration to other Smoke mains. IT CAN BE DONE!!

KILLA_xGHOST

Death

Noob
Because players in this community are still lost on counter poking. Pokes still arent being punished by full combos

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
I'm not a Smoke main but I think the whole d1, d3, d1 on block was going unpunished because they were afraid of him canceling into smoke bomb and crushing there attempt to counter poke. It was great play by Wafflez maybe he can explain better.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood your post, lol my bad. You weren't asking why it wasn't being punished you were asking why he was doing more than one d1. That I have no idea lol, I'm sure he (or other Smoke mains) can explain.
Its to catch people trying to jump out of the impending d4/b2 mixup thats incoming...and it works well unless you're ready to counterpoke the d1, which I think I saw Tyrant doing.

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
Its to catch people trying to jump out of the impending d4/b4 mixup thats incoming...and it works well unless you're ready to counterpoke the d1, which I think I saw Tyrant doing.
Alright, thanks for clearing it up, my knowledge on Smoke isn't very good lol.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Because with many characters, like Liu or Shang, there is only a 2 frame gap for D1 smoke bomb (3rd frame trades) when trying to counter poke with their mid.. Checking the opponent to see if they can deal with it is important.

Part of being a good tournament player is seeing what you can get away with on an opponent and taking advantage of it. Never assume your opponent is good under pressure.

Because players in this community are still lost on counter poking. Pokes still arent being punished by full combos
Tyrant was counter poking d1s with F4 like crazy and that didn't save him from a one way ticket to reset hell.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
you get away with multiple d1's when you make your opponent respect d1 smoke bomb and your ability to do damage with resets. There is only a 2 frame gap to interupt if you are going to try to blow up a blocked d1 and Smoke decides to cancel into a bomb with the first try. Jump outs get stuffed by d1 so it can lead to another conversion opportunity.

You can't just look at how negative someone is on block you have to factor in cancel advantage and the characters special move traits.