What's new

Geras is by far the most exciting character to watch

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
String, launcher, string, special. That's about what you can expect anytime someone catches a hit in high level play. Sometimes they'll get fancy with a restand16286 but other than that offense is incredibly dull to watch. Which is why it surprises me to see so much hate for Geras in Top 8. Out of a cast so large, Geras is one of the few who seems like an actual character and not just a variation. His time stop alone would warrant this thread. It completely shatters the combo limitations in this game, and the setup potential it's shown so far is delicious. Then you have his Sand Timer and Stepping Back to compliment it all. Most subtle of all his flare, but equally important are his Krushing Blows. His D2 being the exception, Geras doesn't have launching KBs. Meaning whenever you see a Krushing Blow from Geras it's unquestionable, it's definitive. They aren't like other, launching KBs where the excitement is immediately brought down by the inevitable Break Away.

I'm not a Geras player. I've never once used him, but I watch him all the time. And when I watch Geras steamroll these boring, by the numbers characters I kind of get reminded of MKX. The wild shit. Liu Kang Fire loops, Predator Plasma cancels, Cyber Sub divekick combos. Geras is the only character who doesn't look like he's playing MK11, which imo, is a huge compliment.

DeftMonk

Noob
Not the only character with similar tools but unfortunately, not only are these tools far and few between.... Might as well just play mk11 the way its supposed to be played which is good results anywhere on screen by putting someone in a very simple slot machine situation. Hit stun? auto shimmy. Neutral? Stagger/throw.

Geras' third and second variation are hype but you don't see those as much as Infinite Warden. I think in this game what makes a character entertaining to watch is ones where they use all their moves and tools. Like Johnny for example, he has to use all his buttons to work and doesn't have a main string to use. While Geras just 212 all day.

SparkySanders

Unga bunga dude
Something about time travelling potatoes just turns me off, watching the mirror always entertains me though. Two time travelling potatoes going at it WWE styles for the belt never fails to give me a chuckle.

On a side note I agree that eternal set ups are sick to watch

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Noticing how nobody is bringing up alternatives

Sounds like salt talking
Cause Geras is braindead. Even in the case of setups, he doesnt really have to think about them. He can do his normal routine and rope in the setup with no effort, unlike another setup character like D'Vorah who needs to specifically change what she does to get out her bug safely and for efficient followup.

Crazy block safety, great combo potential and damage, built in mix-ups, threat presence at all distances, insane oki, some of the best KBs in the game, 6f D1 and long range low pokes, fantastic wakeups - Geras is neither fun to play against nor watch because all it results in is the opponent trying to best Geras at his game since he always dictates the pace of a match.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
My point is spectacle. I'm arguing that Geras is the flashiest character that frequents tournaments. He might spam the same string in neutral, but when that string lands magic happens

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
My point is spectacle. I'm arguing that Geras is the flashiest character that frequents tournaments. He might spam the same string in neutral, but when that string lands magic happens
The spectacle of a character that did a one-bar, 31% damage combo despite being intentionally dropped with no ender to set up crazy pressure which resulted in another ~20% damage immediately after in the clip you posted? That doesnt say "spectacle" to a vast majority of those in this thread as noted by the negative responses. Instead, that says "broken and boring."

It's funny cause one of your arguments is honestly a better argument against your point than for it: "Geras is the only character that looks like he isnt playing MK11." How on earth does a character that clearly does not fit the style and balance of the game make for anything but a problem?

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
The spectacle of a character that did a one-bar, 31% damage combo despite being intentionally dropped with no ender to set up crazy pressure which resulted in another ~20% damage immediately after in the clip you posted? That doesnt say "spectacle" to a vast majority of those in this thread as noted by the negative responses. Instead, that says "broken and boring."
Strong characters are hype. I like big damage and absurd filth in my fighting games.

It's funny cause one of your arguments is honestly a better argument against your point than for it: "Geras is the only character that looks like he isnt playing MK11." How on earth does a character that clearly does not fit the style and balance of the game make for anything but a problem?
Because a perspective I see a lot regarding this game, even on this site, is that mk11 is neutered. Geras stands out by being dirty af