What's new

Geras help

Hello guys, so I am THANKFUL for this community because I have been getting wins(even though its little amount) in king of the hills now. My main character is Geras and I have a couple questions for him.

1. What are some of the easiest/safest combo strings for him? It seems that I get punished alot when I go for the rush down

2. Can someone explain his crushing blows to me and How I can just hit them when I want?

3. I use the infinite warden variation or (old soul) which are pretty much the same, but is this variation the best one to use?

4. What is the typical strategy used when playing with geras?

Once again, any help would be great! I am getting better the more I get feedback and answers on this game.

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
Hello guys, so I am THANKFUL for this community because I have been getting wins(even though its little amount) in king of the hills now. My main character is Geras and I have a couple questions for him.

1. What are some of the easiest/safest combo strings for him? It seems that I get punished alot when I go for the rush down

2. Can someone explain his crushing blows to me and How I can just hit them when I want?

3. I use the infinite warden variation or (old soul) which are pretty much the same, but is this variation the best one to use?

4. What is the typical strategy used when playing with geras?

Once again, any help would be great! I am getting better the more I get feedback and answers on this game.
1.Ur main safe combo string is f212 but u cant have max dmg if u compelete the string. Learn to hit confirm and do f21xxbf2Amplified. F2 is 11f mid. 1 is 8f high punisher and ur main mixup between 1111+3and 11xxsand trap in Infinite Warden. F1 and F3 are great for wiff Punishing. 221+3 has krushing blow on kounter and when u punish,same with f41+34.

2. Krushing blow in 1111+3 trigger if opponent eat the last hit of 111,thats why the mix up in 111 and 11xxsand trap is scary. If im correct 111 is safe. In IW ur sand trap Also has kounter/punish requirments. Command grabs (New era) KB triggers if he carrys opponent max range to wall. U have option to make krushing Blows Come out only if ur holding the last button/buttons even if requirments are met. Check control menu.

3. Infinite Warden has better dmg and he is better Against zoners, IWs sand trap has some projectile invulnerability frames on hit and leaves u close to opponent.
I like to play new era much more. He is more mixup and setup heavy but those mix ups are better coz he has command grab. It has huge range and it carrys or opponent 1/3 of the screen. So rly good corner carry. And hes dmg aint bad, with bar 300 with every hit, in corner even More.

4. Punishing on block and wiff, even without meter, ur punisment is superb coz KBs deal massive dmg. Harrasing ur opponent from far with sand trap. Mixing ur opponent.
Hope this helps a little, can give more insight of new era if needed

Last edited:
1.Ur main safe combo string is f212 but u cant have max dmg if u competitive the string. Lear to hit confirm and do f21xxbf2.its 11f mid. 11is 8f punisher and ur main mixup between 1111+3and 11xxsand trap. F1 AND F3 are great for wiff punishing221+3 had krushing blow on kounter and when u punish,same with f41+34.

2. Krushing blow in 1111+3 trigger if opponent eat the last hit of 111,thats why the mix up in 111 and 11xxsand trap is scary. If im correct 111 is safe. In IW ur sand trap Also has kounter/punish requirments. Command grabs (New era) KB triggers if he carrys opponent max range to wall. U have option to make krushing Blows Come out only if ur holding the last button/buttons even if requirments are met. Check control menu.

3. Infinite Warden has better dmg and he is better Against zoners, IWs sand trap has some projectile invulnerability frames on hit and leaves u close to opponent.
I like to play new era much more. He is more mixup and setup heavy but those mix ups are better coz he has command grab. It has huge range and it carrys or opponent 1/3 of the screen. So rly good corner carry. And hes dmg aint bad, with bar 300 with every hit, in corner even More.

4. Punishing on block and wiff, even without meter, ur punisment is superb coz KBs deal massive dmg. Harrasing ur opponent from far with sand trap. Mixing ur opponent.
Hope this helps a little
That helped A LOT! Thank you so much! Also, how would one learn hit confirming? I think that's what I struggle with because I just press the combos as fast as I can

Osagri

That helped A LOT! Thank you so much! Also, how would one learn hit confirming? I think that's what I struggle with because I just press the combos as fast as I can
Put dummy to random block, then just practice

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
I would argue against trying to hit confirm f21 into anything. I don't think there is ever a reason to stagger that string in Infinite Warden. Finishing it leaves you -3 instead of f21 leaving you like -10. It's always better to finish the string. The nature of dial-in combos for MK makes it difficult to hit confirm strings, but puts the focus on hit confirming special links.

If you're confident in your execution, you can do f212, dash f1 ex-bf2, dash 4 bf2. Like 35% midscreen combos. If you're not able to land the dash f1 consistently, just f212 into sand trap is 17% dmg from a safe advancing mid string.

wrt game plan for infinite warden, space control/safe advancing mids are Geras' BnB. I think people are currently over-reliant on the sand trap as a go-to tool instead of an anti-zone check/possible KB. It leaves you -17 and is easily jumped. I would focus on utilizing his strong advancing strings for space control and abusing his 6f d1 in conjunction with his strings that leave you in neutral. You can often f212 and d1 on block to land your d1 and continue your pressure/not give up your turn. Primarily f212 and b22 should be your go-to. Using f32 for a meaty on wake up is great because it advances so much that it either chases a back tech roll or advances you far enough from a forward tech roll. Also it's unpunishable.

I think people often neglect his 241 string as well. It's a high start, but goes into low-overhead. Another faster option for the same 111,1+3 or 11x sand trap mix up, but 241 is only 1 high instead of 2.

Osagri

I would argue against trying to hit confirm f21 into anything. I don't think there is ever a reason to stagger that string in Infinite Warden. Finishing it leaves you -3 instead of f21 leaving you like -10. It's always better to finish the string. The nature of dial-in combos for MK makes it difficult to hit confirm strings, but puts the focus on hit confirming special links.

If you're confident in your execution, you can do f212, dash f1 ex-bf2, dash 4 bf2. Like 35% midscreen combos. If you're not able to land the dash f1 consistently, just f212 into sand trap is 17% dmg from a safe advancing mid string.

wrt game plan for infinite warden, space control/safe advancing mids are Geras' BnB. I think people are currently over-reliant on the sand trap as a go-to tool instead of an anti-zone check/possible KB. It leaves you -17 and is easily jumped. I would focus on utilizing his strong advancing strings for space control and abusing his 6f d1 in conjunction with his strings that leave you in neutral. You can often f212 and d1 on block to land your d1 and continue your pressure/not give up your turn. Primarily f212 and b22 should be your go-to. Using f32 for a meaty on wake up is great because it advances so much that it either chases a back tech roll or advances you far enough from a forward tech roll. Also it's unpunishable.

I think people often neglect his 241 string as well. It's a high start, but goes into low-overhead. Another faster option for the same 111,1+3 or 11x sand trap mix up, but 241 is only 1 high instead of 2.
Meant to hit confirm to F21XXbf2 on hit and full string on block

So you're saying with a character like geras, I should be patient and not just rush? What are some of his advancing combos that would be good for closing distance? I use F1 alot but I can never get another hit off after I do it, so after I'll just try to grab or D1.

Osagri

I use 24 and 241 alot in new era, propably the Best way to setup ex Sand pilar

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
Old Soul = Infinite Warden. They made different names for it for whatever reason....

Understood on finishing the string on hit. I struggle with the timing to hit confirm strings (very tight window) compared with special links (big window - any time before the string finishes).

I also wouldn't say "don't rush down". I would encourage you to keep up pressure. However I think previous NRS games condition people to think 'throw unsafe 50/50's as primary opener', and I don't think that will get you as far.

For example, when you knock someone down, stand outside throw range. Both your b2 and f3 have incredible advance on them. I typically try to (midscreen) get a knock down, back walk to avoid any wake up move and then b22 to meaty them on wake up. Can give you a full combo if it hits or leaves you -6 if they block it. (frame data off memory, not sure it's exact).

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
Also f1 isn't as great of a string compared to f212, b22, or f34. I almost exclusively use it when I'm trying to side switch (f1,1+3,4) will switch sides. Also, you can occassionally throw it out for the KB, but I like f221+3 better in general.

Old Soul = Infinite Warden. They made different names for it for whatever reason....

Understood on finishing the string on hit. I struggle with the timing to hit confirm strings (very tight window) compared with special links (big window - any time before the string finishes).

I also wouldn't say "don't rush down". I would encourage you to keep up pressure. However I think previous NRS games condition people to think 'throw unsafe 50/50's as primary opener', and I don't think that will get you as far.

For example, when you knock someone down, stand outside throw range. Both your b2 and f3 have incredible advance on them. I typically try to (midscreen) get a knock down, back walk to avoid any wake up move and then b22 to meaty them on wake up. Can give you a full combo if it hits or leaves you -6 if they block it. (frame data off memory, not sure it's exact).
Ahhhh okay okay. So you would use the b22 instead of the f1 to string into a combo?

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
Always. Leaves you at less of a disadvantage, has better advance, and gets more damage off a combo.

The primary time b22 isn't good, is in the corner. I have not been able to do b22 - bf2 ex in the corner. There may be another way to link, but any time you're close to the corner, just use f212, f32, or 241

Always. Leaves you at less of a disadvantage, has better advance, and gets more damage off a combo.

The primary time b22 isn't good, is in the corner. I have not been able to do b22 - bf2 ex in the corner. There may be another way to link, but any time you're close to the corner, just use f212, f32, or 241
Dude, this is GOLD lol. THANK YOU