What's new

Geras General Discussion

I dunno if it has any merit, but I've been playing around with a setup idea in New Era. Start with 11~bf1(MB), then 4~df3MB, 4 and let them unfreeze. They'll recoil from the second 4 a few frames before the sand spike goes off, which leaves you at +frames too high to bother counting. Yeah, it's two meters, so it's probably pretty situational, but I figured maybe some folks playing around with it might produce interesting results.

Con

Noob
can anyone please write down some basic gameplay plan
like what bnbs to use
what strings and which stuff to poke?
thanks<3
I started playing him 3 days ago, so a better geras could probably tell you more, but this is what i've compiled.

• His best strings are F212 (mid, -3 on blk, 11 startup) and 111 (high, -7 on blk, 7 startup, also has a kb attached to the throw) F22 also has a kb attached that is super easy to get out.
  • F1,+13 is his best whiff punishing tool going into BF2amp
  • His D1 is great and his D4 is okayish. D3 is a great anti air
  • You can condition with 111 then add in 11/DB1
  • Great anti zoning with DB1 (plus a punish kb)
His bnbs are ~
MIdscreen 1bar, starter/BF2amp/dash/4/BF2
Midscreen 2 bar, starter/BF2amp/dash/B2/BF1amp/D2/D2/F1,+13/DB1

Corner 1bar, starter/BF2amp/4/BF2
Corner 2bar, F212/4/BF2/B2/BF1amp/D2/D2/F1,+13/DB1

My main question for the better Geras players is how they got the hit confirm down for F212 in BF2, it seems that I simply cannot react fast enough.

TheLewis

Noob
My main question for the better Geras players is how they got the hit confirm down for F212 in BF2, it seems that I simply cannot react fast enough.
F212 x BF2 cant be done mid screen, though it was possible in the beta. All you can get is sand pilar or sand trap afterwards.

It can be done to end certain combos:

F21 x BF2 amp, dash, F212 x BF2

And it can be done in the corner.

F212, F212 x BF2 amp, 4 x BF2

Last edited:

Con

Noob
F212 x BF2 cant be done mid screen, though it was possible in the beta. All you can get is sand pilar or sand trap afterwards.

Well, I meant f21

TheLewis

Noob
what is gerras optimal mid screen 2 bar combo for IW?
I dont really use 2 bars mid screen unless Im trying to do a setup and charge his db2. Ill use 2 bars in the corner because you can get close to 50%. All I can tell you is that if you start with bf2 amped versus bf1 amped you get more damage. The scaling after bf1 amped is pretty significant so whatever you do, start your combos with bf2 amp.

Not sure about optimal but something like:

F21 x BF2 amp, dash, F3 x BF1 amp, D2, D2, Ji2, F1,1+3 x BF2

You might get more if you can consistently replace F3 or F1,1+3 with standing 4. Which ever option you dont drop is the best one.

Vagrant

Noob
What buttons are you guys using for anti airs outside of d2? D2 getting stuffed a lot even on me reading a jump and sitting and waiting for it sometimes.

D1 and 1 seem pretty good. Anyone else find anything they like?

Question about New Era variation: what’s the point of the sand trap KB? My understanding is that it won’t activate as part of either a combo or a block string. That means it only activates if your opponent is stand blocking and you hit them with raw sand trap. So... what reason does your opponent ever have in that variation to stand block outside of a block string? Sure, they have to switch to high block to block with OH part of 111, but the sand trap KB won’t activate there because it’s a block string. And your command grab is a mid, so there’s no point trying to duck that. What scenario are you supposed to set up to get your opponent to neutral block while standing?

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Question about New Era variation: what’s the point of the sand trap KB? My understanding is that it won’t activate as part of either a combo or a block string. That means it only activates if your opponent is stand blocking and you hit them with raw sand trap. So... what reason does your opponent ever have in that variation to stand block outside of a block string? Sure, they have to switch to high block to block with OH part of 111, but the sand trap KB won’t activate there because it’s a block string. And your command grab is a mid, so there’s no point trying to duck that. What scenario are you supposed to set up to get your opponent to neutral block while standing?
I don't think there is a good way to set it up ever, unless you committed to doing a lot of short hops on oki and mixing with close sand trap, but that seems super bad. I end up hitting it randomly every other match catching people trying to dash block in, so its not completely useless.

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk

U can do f212, microdash, f11+3xxbf2 in mid with Infinite warden

I don't think there is a good way to set it up ever, unless you committed to doing a lot of short hops on oki and mixing with close sand trap, but that seems super bad. I end up hitting it randomly every other match catching people trying to dash block in, so its not completely useless.
That’s what I thought. That’s so weird. Like it makes so much sense as a KB if it activates on a block string. NE doesn’t have much in the way of mid-screen combos, so giving him complementary low/high KBs with his command grab makes for a complete character strategy. Instead, they gave him the worse version of sand trap with no real strategy behind it.

Osagri

That’s what I thought. That’s so weird. Like it makes so much sense as a KB if it activates on a block string. NE doesn’t have much in the way of mid-screen combos, so giving him complementary low/high KBs with his command grab makes for a complete character strategy. Instead, they gave him the worse version of sand trap with no real strategy behind it.
To be fair, if Sand trap KB would activate in blockstrings, that would be pretty busted.

Osagri

I mean... maybe. I just don’t like seeing moves, especially situational and important ones
Move itself is important, I would be totally fine if he didnt even have kb in new eras sandtrap. And I have been hitting the kb with stagger and when opponent is closing in.

fireborg

Noob
I can’t seem to get this no matter what I try.
try tutorial , dashes and punches can be connected together - which was not possible in previous games - maybe that's it.. tutorial is super imo btw, with plenty of stuff for advanced players as well

I think the Gauntlet of Ages should be in the same variation with the Titan tackle CG, the damage buff on the fist increases the damage on the CG when you hit it into the wall, the mix becomes super dangerous. Probably a nice idea to keep in mind if kustom variations ever become a tournament thing.