What's new

Geras General Discussion

I have a question about the sand trap. In IW it’s Krushing blow requirement is kounter or punish and it works just fine. But in the NE the requirement is for opponent to be stand blocking when the low sand trap hits. It doesn’t seem to work for me. I tried it in training and in a real match. It is a super good requirement for a KB because of the mix he gets off his 111 string as the grab at the end KB if you are hit with the 3rd 1. Can someone confirm if the sand trap KB in NE is busted?

I think you're focusing on the gauntlet too much. I very rarely use it. like you said, his good strings dont jail into it, meaning good players will d1 (or even full combo you) on reaction. What makes this character good is f3, b22, f212, and his pokes. Focus on trying to hit confirm b22 and put the pressure on by staggering f32 and mixing throws in. Of course you can mix the gauntlet in every now and then off f212 but don't try to force yourself to use it. I can really never see a situation where a full charged one comes off for you other than mid combo.
How do I use f3 properly? Is it really what makes him good actually? It doesnt feel like most forward advancing f3's. B2 has more range and 2&F2 also have 11 startup frames.

ChrisJG

Noob
How do I use f3 properly? Is it really what makes him good actually? It doesnt feel like most forward advancing f3's. B2 has more range and 2&F2 also have 11 startup frames.
So I use f3 to check people when the're knocked down. staggering it with f32 gives you the opportunity to throw in between. Try it out, it reminds me of Johnny cage mk9 f33b3. Obviously not quite as good as that, but you get the idea. The reason I don't use b2 for pressure is that the full string is too negative on block. If I mix in a f32 and they block it then I won't get punished, I can low block and try to counterpoke. F212 has the opposite issue. Completing the string is safe but you're too negative if you try to stagger it.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I think you're focusing on the gauntlet too much. I very rarely use it. like you said, his good strings dont jail into it, meaning good players will d1 (or even full combo you) on reaction. What makes this character good is f3, b22, f212, and his pokes. Focus on trying to hit confirm b22 and put the pressure on by staggering f32 and mixing throws in. Of course you can mix the gauntlet in every now and then off f212 but don't try to force yourself to use it. I can really never see a situation where a full charged one comes off for you other than mid combo.

This is why I think it’s important.

You get 11% more off of combos plus krushing blow threat..

Short clip of me in pool quarters for the Kombat cup today. Unfortunately couldn’t get past scar in semis

This is why I think it’s important.

You get 11% more off of combos plus krushing blow threat..

Short clip of me in pool quarters for the Kombat cup today. Unfortunately couldn’t get past scar in semis
I really can't see a moment where it will be worth while to charge and forgo damage and pressure

Vagrant

Noob
I have a question about the sand trap. In IW it’s Krushing blow requirement is kounter or punish and it works just fine. But in the NE the requirement is for opponent to be stand blocking when the low sand trap hits. It doesn’t seem to work for me. I tried it in training and in a real match. It is a super good requirement for a KB because of the mix he gets off his 111 string as the grab at the end KB if you are hit with the 3rd 1. Can someone confirm if the sand trap KB in NE is busted?
Hey I looked into this for you.

It doesn't seem to work if he cancels it from a string. It works on cancels from single attacks but it looks like if you continue the block string and try to cancel it into sandtrap, the KB doesn't work. So like it works off of f2 and stand 1 but not f21 or 11. Feels like an intentional design choice but there's a chance it could be on accident. Would be a pretty high reward for both options if he got the KB off of the low.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
To test any “opponent must be blocking” requirements like that in training, you can’t just set the opponent to Stance Guard. Since the attack hits low, the opponent never actually guards and thus the KB isn’t triggered. To test it in training, you have to record yourself blocking and then set the AI to playback. Then it should work.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Another great way to use charge is to bait movement. For example if a jc or Liu Kang is trying to get in, you can charge and cancel very quickly to bait out a flying kick or shadow kick.

I’ve gotten so many punishes like that

Reactions: jmt
To test any “opponent must be blocking” requirements like that in training, you can’t just set the opponent to Stance Guard. Since the attack hits low, the opponent never actually guards and thus the KB isn’t triggered. To test it in training, you have to record yourself blocking and then set the AI to playback. Then it should work.
I have tried everything! I recorded geras doing it and blocked high myself. It doesn't work

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
how did you get it? Does it work off 11 string on block?!?like 11xxsand trap and they block high?
I don't remember. I just remember I was messing with Geras and couldn't get it to work, and I realized the training dummy wasn't blocking, so I took the steps I listed above.

I don't remember. I just remember I was messing with Geras and couldn't get it to work, and I realized the training dummy wasn't blocking, so I took the steps I listed above.
I hope you are right and it works, because it makes New Era’s mix ups insane)having a KB 30% in this set up ,for example ,would be awesome as the overhead one will net you a KB as well if they don’t block the overhead part

I will test it when I have time.

how the f the quick sand brutality not working?
There are 2 brutalities for this move. 1 For each vatiation.

Trapped for New Era (Sand trap,db1)
Sinking Feeling for Infinite Warden (Quick Sand,db1)

Make sure you have the right one unlocked for your variation (krypt or time tower).

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Some pro players are arguing that Geras might be the best character in the game right now - or at the very least top 3.

Is there something to that? And if so, why so? What makes Geras so stronkk?

Some pro players are arguing that Geras might be the best character in the game right now - or at the very least top 3.

Is there something to that? And if so, why so? What makes Geras so stronkk?
  • 6 frame d1
  • Good mids
  • Pressure
  • 50/50 mixup, overhead option is safe (-7 on block)
  • A lot of combo damage
  • Quick Sand/Sand trap catch a lot of people offguard.
  • A LOT of krushing blows with easy requirements

Last edited:

fireborg

Noob
There are 2 brutalities for this move. 1 For each vatiation.

Trapped for New Era (Sand trap,db1)
Sinking Feeling for Infinite Warden (Quick Sand,db1)

Make sure you have the right one unlocked for your variation (krypt or time tower).
thanks for the reply. im sure is not that. i also have paused in time unlocked, which does not work neither. btw in general i dont think you need a fat / brutal unlocked, just dail it in and it will work.

I have a question about New Era vs Infinite Warden.
Most tournament players such as Sonicfox, Grr etc. are using Infinite Warden, but I really don't get why. Personally I can't see why you would trade the setups, tick throws and corner carry that New Era brings for more combo dmg. He seems so easy to block in Infinite warden