What's new

General MK9 Frame Data Info

Somberness

Lights

-Stryker-Liu Kang-Kung Lao-Kano-Nightwolf-Kabal-
Baraka-Shang Tsung-Quan Chi-Raiden-Sheeva-Kratos
How to Understand Frame Data
Mortal Kombat runs at 60 frames per second and everything is measured in frames.

Execution Frame Number: This is the amount of frames between the first frame the game displays your input up to and including the first active frame of the move. If the value is 6, then the 6th frame is first active frame. If the move is “3,2” then the execution value would be of “2” only. (I plan on changing this to remove the confusion).

Start Up Frame Number: This is the amount of frames between the time the game displays your input until the first active frame of the move. It is usually the execution value minus one.

Advantage: This is the frame differential between both characters after a move either is hits or is blocked, it shows the difference in recovery of each character. A positive number indicates that the character who used the move can move or attack first, +4 would mean 4 frames of advantage. A negative number means the opposite, -4 would indicate the character that used the move would be at a 4 frame disadvantage. Any move that is a knockdown, the number is from the first frame of recovery of the character that used the move until the first possible frame of wake up attack. If there are 2 numbers under hit advantage, (something like +21, +13) then the second number is if the character who got hit by the attack did a tech roll.

Duration: All the number says here is the amount of frames between the first frame the game displays your input up to the first frame you recover from using the move. It is, whenever possible, not on hit or block but on whiff, which is the term for failing to connect an attack. I am up for including the values on hit and block but for now, just on whiff.

Cancel Advantage: Cancelling something means to input either the next normal in a set combo or a special move out of another normal. Just like regular advantage, this can be positive or negative. The number is the difference between the first frame of the cancelled attack until the first frame that the other character recovers. +22 would mean that there is a 22 frame window for your attack to land before your opponent can do anything about it. If the move is a knockdown, then it works just like regular advantage except the range starts from the first frame of the cancelled move.

Useful Formulas
To figure out a gap in a string where you have a chance to interrupt: Cancel advantage - execution of the move that is being cancelled into. Example: a 1,2,3 string, to figure out the gap in between the 2 and the 3, take the execution of 1,2,3 and subtract the cancel advantage of 1,2.
To figure out the advantage of a move when cancelled into: Cancel advantage - duration. This is useful if you like to end combos with a teleport or something that does not hit the opponent.

Disclaimer: All this information was gathered with what I had available and made as accurate as possible. Thanks for reading.

Air Normals Execution Data
Angled Jump Punch - 5
Neutral Jump Punch - 9
Angled Jump Kick - 8
Neutral Jump Kick - 10

Air Normals Block Advantage Data
Angled Jump Punch - 0
Neutral Jump Punch - +2 to -3
Angled Jump Kick - +18 to -1
Neutral Jump Kick - +5 to -5

Air Normals Hit Advantage Data
Angled Jump Punch - +26 to +32
Neutral Jump Punch - ~+70, ~+58
Neutral Jump Punch (2) - ~+60, ~+64
Neutral Jump Punch (3) - ~+60, ~+64
Angled Jump Kick - ~+45, ~+32 (add around 12 for a deep jump kick)
Neutral Jump Kick - ~+42, ~+30

Air Normals Cancel Block Advantage Data
Angled Jump Punch - +14 to +18
Angled Jump Punch (air special) - ≤+28
Neutral Jump Punch - ≤+19
Angled Jump Kick - ≤+28
Neutral Jump Kick - +22

Air Normals Cancel Hit Advantage Data
Angled Jump Punch - +27 to +33, up to +40 for specials

INPUT BUG!
See this thread: http://testyourmight.com/threads/input-bug-first-results-of-a-computer-assisted-analysis.9048/

Jump Data
Neutral Jump (start up if not buffered) - 3
Angled Jump Forward (start up if not buffered) - 1
Angled Jump Backward (start up if not buffered) - 1
Neutral Jump Duration (start up not included) - 41
Angled Jump Forward Duration (start up not included) - 40
Angled Jump Backward Duration (start up not included) - 41 (42 for consecutive jumps)
All air normals have recovery frames on the ground except angled jump kicks. That does not include deep jump kicks, which have a small amount.
Stage Sizes
Hell is the base, Soul Chamber is 1.4 times larger than it, for example.
Hell - 1.00
The Pit(Bottom) - 1.07
The Pit - 1.08
The Dead Pool - 1.15
Challenge Tower - 1.17
The Living Forest - 1.21
Shang Tsung's Gardens - 1.22
The Graveyard - 1.22
Subway - 1.23
Wastelands - 1.23
Shang Tsung's Throne Room - 1.24
The Street - 1.25
The Temple - 1.27
Armory - 1.27
Desert - 1.32
The Courtyard - 1.33
Rooftop(Dawn) - 1.34
Kahn's Coliseum - 1.34
Rooftop(Dusk) - 1.34
The Flesh Pits - 1.39
Soul Chamber - 1.40
Goro's Lair - 1.41
Evil Monastery - 1.43
Shao Kahn's Throne Room - 1.44
The Bell Tower - 1.46
Rooftop(Day) - 1.49

Switching Sides/Turning Around
It takes 5 frames to turn around and attack, except it takes 7 frames if you input your attack on the 1st frame your opponent switches sides or while in the first 6 frames of the process of turning around. It takes 13 frames to turn around normally. If you input your attack on the first frame of recovery after your opponent has switched sides, you will take 5 frames to turn around. Otherwise, you take one frame (the first one that was skipped). Throws, specials, x-rays, and air normals are exempt from this rule and auto correct immediately.

Trade System
Player 1 wins all encounters when 2 moves' active frames collide with each player's hit box. However, projectile attacks and Kung Lao's spin attacks always win. It is apparently random if 2 of the exceptions are used at the same time.

Wake Up Attacks
All normal wake up attacks have 11 frames of invincibility while enhanced wake ups have 20.

X-ray Invincibility
All x-rays have 2 frames of invincibility on start up.

Forward Walking Speed Rank
1. Mileena
2. Skarlet
3. Kenshi
3. Kung Lao
5. Sheeva
5. Sub-Zero
7. Ermac
7. Jax
7. Liu Kang
7. Shang Tsung
11. Jade
11. Nightwolf
11. Reptile
11. Scorpion
11. Stryker
16. Cyrax
16. Quan Chi
16. Smoke
19. Baraka
19. Freddy
19. Rain
22. Sonya
23. Kitana
24. Johnny Cage
24. Noob Saibot
24. Sindel
27. Kabal
28. Raiden
29. Kano
30. Sektor
31. Cyber Sub-Zero

Backward Walking Speed Rank
1. Reptile
2. Sub-Zero
3. Ermac
3. Mileena
3. Shang Tsung
3. Sonya
7. Freddy
7. Kenshi
7. Kung Lao
10. Baraka
10. Jax
10. Kitana
10. Quan Chi
14. Jade
15. Scorpion
15. Skarlet
15. Smoke
18. Rain
18. Sheeva
18. Stryker
21. Johnny Cage
21. Liu Kang
21. Nightwolf
24. Sindel
25. Raiden
26. Cyrax
26. Kabal
26. Noob Saibot
29. Kano
30. Sektor
31. Cyber Sub-Zero

Forward Dash Duration Rank
1. Cyber Sub-Zero - 17
1. Sektor - 17
3. Jax - 20
4. Other - 23
30. Mileena - 24
30. Sheeva - 24

Backward Dash Duration Rank
1. Cyber Sub-Zero - 15
1. Sektor - 15
3. Jade - 18
3. Johnny Cage - 18
3. Kitana - 18
3. Mileena - 18
3. Sindel - 18
3. Skarlet - 18
3. Sonya - 18
10. Other - 21

Forward Dash Distance Rank Version 1
This is an estimated rank of how far the character travels, determined by where their foot is at the beginning and end of their dash duration. The unit is %, with Sheeva being the base and each character having their dash ranked according to their distance travelled compared to her.
1. Sheeva - 100
2. Jade - 98.8
2. Skarlet - 98.8
2. Sonya - 98.8
5. Johnny Cage - 97.6
5. Kitana - 97.6
5. Mileena - 97.6
8. Cyrax - 93.9
8. Quan Chi - 93.9
8. Shang Tsung - 93.9
11. Baraka - 92.7
11. Cyber Sub-Zero - 92.7
11. Freddy Kreuger - 92.7
11. Jax - 92.7
11. Kabal - 92.7
11. Kano - 92.7
11. Kenshi - 92.7
11. Kung Lao - 92.7
11. Nightwolf - 92.7
11. Noob Saibot - 92.7
11. Raiden - 92.7
11. Scorpion - 92.7
11. Sektor - 92.7
11. Sindel - 92.7
11. Stryker - 92.7
26. Ermac - 91.5
26. Liu Kang - 91.5
26. Rain - 91.5
26. Smoke - 91.5
26. Sub-Zero - 91.5
31. Reptile - 82.9

Forward Dash Distance Rank Version 2
This is an estimated rank of how far the character travels after 10 frames, determined by where their midsection is. The unit is %, with Kitana being the base and each character having their dash ranked according to their distance travelled compared to her.
1. Kitana - 100
2. Jade - 94
3. Skarlet - 90
3. Sonya - 90
5. Johnny Cage - 88
5. Sheeva - 88
5. Sindel - 88
8. Cyrax - 82
8. Jax - 82
8. Mileena - 82
11. Noob - 78
11. Kano - 78
11. Liu Kang - 78
11. Sektor - 78
11. Shang Tsung - 78
16. Baraka - 74
16. Ermac - 74
16. Kabal - 74
16. Quan Chi - 74
16. Raiden - 74
21. Cyber Sub-Zero - 72
21. Kenshi - 72
21. Kung Lao - 72
21. Smoke - 72
21. Stryker - 72
21. Sub-Zero - 72
27. Nightwolf - 70
27. Rain - 70
27. Scorpion - 70
30. Freddy - 68
31. Reptile - 22

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
This clears up a lot for me, thanks Somberness.
Kinda surprised that The Bell Tower is the 2nd longest stage in the game though, it seems really easy to push/get pushed towards the corners.

gdf

Noob
Somberness How does Kung Lao's spin beat Kano's and Jax's X-rays? Does his 6 frame spin blow through the 2 frames of invincibility and the armor?

kilnkilagn

Kill-n-Kill Again
Thanks for putting this up, Somber. I still don't understand some of it, but that's because I'm a visual learner. (A demonstration of the things I don't get would make it clear, but I'm not asking for any---just saying.)

If player 1 wins in the Trade System, and wake ups have 11 frames on invincibility, then why does Kung Lao get hit by normal attacks even though his spin has started? This is happening online. I don't know if it would happen offline, but it's happened many times. I can actually see the blue swirls around KL and yet I get hit instead of him getting launched. The people I've played with a mic have said they saw the blue swirls as well on their screen, and couldn't understand why they weren't launched. Is it because the spin has a VERY HIGH hit box designed for AA, and a grounded opponent attacking doesn't get hit by the start up frames of the spin if they are attacking with an attack with a lower hit box (essentially going under the hit box of the spin)?

Somberness

Lights
It does not beat armor/invincibility. And it does matter how fast it is, just when it activates.
If player 1 wins in the Trade System, and wake ups have 11 frames on invincibility, then why does Kung Lao get hit by normal attacks even though his spin has started? This is happening online. I don't know if it would happen offline, but it's happened many times. I can actually see the blue swirls around KL and yet I get hit instead of him getting launched. The people I've played with a mic have said they saw the blue swirls as well on their screen, and couldn't understand why they weren't launched. Is it because the spin has a VERY HIGH hit box designed for AA, and a grounded opponent attacking doesn't get hit by the start up frames of the spin if they are attacking with an attack with a lower hit box (essentially going under the hit box of the spin)?
You can see that before the first active frame.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Why is it easier to interrupt strings with certain armored moves than others?
Using Sub Zero's 212 as an example, I found that it's really easy to interrupt with Sonya's ex cartwheel but really hard to interrupt with Sub's ex slide. The funny thing is that ex cartwheel is 23 frames while ex slide is only 10 frames.

Somberness

Lights
Why is it easier to interrupt strings with certain armored moves than others?
Using Sub Zero's 212 as an example, I found that it's really easy to interrupt with Sonya's ex cartwheel but really hard to interrupt with Sub's ex slide. The funny thing is that ex cartwheel is 23 frames while ex slide is only 10 frames.
What do you mean by hard to interrupt? You could be timing one of them wrong. There's a short buffer window where you can input a special before you recover, but there is a bug with it that will add some frames before start up. I need to investigate it more to post anything about that.

What do you mean by hard to interrupt? You could be timing one of them wrong. There's a short buffer window where you can input a special before you recover, but there is a bug with it that will add some frames before start up. I need to investigate it more to post anything about that.
Cool stuff, I would just like to know, now, how to apply Frame Data on my character of choice to actual Gameplay/strategy and put it in use. What to look for, etc. etc.

Seapeople

This one's for you
The timing is just a lot stricter to interrupt with some armored moves. What do you mean by a buffer window?

Somberness

Lights
Cool stuff, I would just like to know, now, how to apply Frame Data on my character of choice to actual Gameplay/strategy and put it in use. What to look for, etc. etc.
Frame data won't tell you everything, but you should look for a bunch of important things.
1. Fastest moves; you need to know how fast your moves are so don't get blown up fighting Cage constantly trying to start your offense with a 15 frame attack.
2. Safest moves; even if it doesn't lead to damage, you will stay need to know what can be used and not get punished for it. You should take in to account the advantage each moves puts you at ahead of time so you aren't blocking when you actually have the advantage. Even if it is neutral on block, there could be a hole in what you are using that your opponent can use against you so finding gaps is important. It is very crucial to know what your opponent can punish you for and for the amount of damage.
3. Most rewarding moves; again, it doesn't have to be anything that leads to a combo, just something that gives you a lot in return with the least amount of risk.
The timing is just a lot stricter to interrupt with some armored moves. What do you mean by a buffer window?
If you input a normal during recovery, it will never come out. But, there is a short window before recovery ends where you can input a special and it will work.

Seapeople

This one's for you
If you input a normal during recovery, it will never come out. But, there is a short window before recovery ends where you can input a special and it will work.
Do you mean recovery from block stun between the 2 hits that you're trying to interrupt?
I guess what I'm wondering is what affects the timing to armor out of strings with different specials.

Somberness

Lights
Do you mean recovery from block stun between the 2 hits that you're trying to interrupt?
I guess what I'm wondering is what affects the timing to armor out of strings with different specials.
I mean whenever you are in recovery, doesn't have to be block stun.