What's new

Tech - Butcher Gapless normal and ex overhead hammer

Sunny_D

Green Arrows personal Shooty guy
This is probably known by now but i never see ANYONE use it let alone talk about it. Butcher is known for having a solid 50/50 game, a decent mid with b1, and the plus on block hammer. Although everystring has a gap when cancelled into it, except for the godsend himself 22. Just like his other variations 22 can be cancelled into a low or an overhead. 22 being plus 2 on block and the overhead being safe with slightly unsafe low. Now in butcher tho there is no overhead just a launch thats full combo punishable and a safe low. But 22 into overhead hammer is gapless! Leaving you plus 2, a small mixup, and some nice dirty down 3 "mixups"

Sunny_D

I use this a decent amount btw, it's useful.
Oh good : )

Also do you think killers "reset" is any good? After ex stance 2 either go back 1 into stance 1 or f3 stance 1. With other specials used at the end for some decent mixups on top of the first guess. Even tho b1 is fuzzyable it still can lead into some decent pressure

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Oh good : )

Also do you think killers "reset" is any good? After ex stance 2 either go back 1 into stance 1 or f3 stance 1. With other specials used at the end for some decent mixups on top of the first guess. Even tho b1 is fuzzyable it still can lead into some decent pressure
I think just ending in the BD4 and some form of plus string into Berserker Stance is good enough. It leaves you plenty plus and lets the mind games run wild.

Sunny_D

I think just ending in the BD4 and some form of plus string into Berserker Stance is good enough. It leaves you plenty plus and lets the mind games run wild.
Oh what is his best string? I remeber it being like 12 for the cancel pressure guaranteed on hit and f2 for the pseudo inescapable unblockable

CrazyFingers

Oh what is his best string? I remeber it being like 12 for the cancel pressure guaranteed on hit and f2 for the pseudo inescapable unblockable
Off of f2 into the stance they have a small window to armor and a larger window to backdash. you basically use that setup to scout what the opponent will do in that situation. Whenever I don't do F2 i tend to do 12 into berserker stance pressure and sometimes just into a straight up grab (they rarely see the grab coming)

Sunny_D

Off of f2 into the stance they have a small window to armor and a larger window to backdash. you basically use that setup to scout what the opponent will do in that situation. Whenever I don't do F2 i tend to do 12 into berserker stance pressure and sometimes just into a straight up grab (they rarely see the grab coming)
Hmm interesting, which one is the best to use off the cancel? And what strings will it jail into when cancelled? (On hit of coarse)

Sunny_D

do you mean which option off of Berserker Stance is best to go off of on hit?
I could have worded this better lol.

I mean like 12 on hit BS4 cancel into the guaranteed pressure. Which one leaves you more plus for pressure though? An what moves will jail after the on hit BS4 cancels. Hope this is understandable lmao

CrazyFingers

I could have worded this better lol.

I mean like 12 on hit BS4 cancel into the guaranteed pressure. Which one leaves you more plus for pressure though? An what moves will jail after the on hit BS4 cancels. Hope this is understandable lmao
ah it is I actually haven't labbed what jails but I am almost positive F1 will jail and I believe 12 is more plus, don't quote me on that though, i'd have to check it.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
This is probably known by now but i never see ANYONE use it let alone talk about it. Butcher is known for having a solid 50/50 game, a decent mid with b1, and the plus on block hammer. Although everystring has a gap when cancelled into it, except for the godsend himself 22. Just like his other variations 22 can be cancelled into a low or an overhead. 22 being plus 2 on block and the overhead being safe with slightly unsafe low. Now in butcher tho there is no overhead just a launch thats full combo punishable and a safe low. But 22 into overhead hammer is gapless! Leaving you plus 2, a small mixup, and some nice dirty down 3 "mixups"
Also, from further out in footsies, f12~overhead bop is gapless. You have to do it max range though so f1 would whiff first. Only problem with 22 and f12 is that they both start with highs.

I don't think Butcher needs to worry about gaps anymore though. Interrupting gaps with armor doesn't take 30% like it used to. You might say that was an indirect buff to butcher but it's really not. Losing armor on the ex overhead sucks hard but his other armor is useable now. ex db1 having 2 hits of armor is really nice because the move is so damn slow that it will beat other 2 hit armor attacks because their armor times out before the chainsaw hits! ex db3 does 21% and has 1 hit of armor while his command grab does 20% and has 1 hit of armor. The command grab is so fast that it rarely loses to armor breaking strings, but it can happen.

So, going back to gaps and being +2 and armor... I think Butcher has a mixup game with his armor, (oh, low, grab) but it's all unsafe. It's probably better to stick with command grabs and his safe strings for mixups. Save armor for getting in (ex bf3) or wakeup/reverse pressure.

I'm not sure what the safe low you are referring to is... probably b12. b1~oh bop is probably a decent safe mixup now, even with the gap. Also, f3~oh bop is a low, oh that is +2 with a gap while f21d22 is a safe overhead string. You can cancel f21d2 into the +2 df2 as well.

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
Damn I just started playing this char recently and he is tons of fun. And now knowing 22 into oh hammer being a true blockstring raises my heartbeat. I really need to take a deeper look into it as soon as I can turn on the ps4 !!!

Sunny_D

Also, from further out in footsies, f12~overhead bop is gapless. You have to do it max range though so f1 would whiff first. Only problem with 22 and f12 is that they both start with highs.

I don't think Butcher needs to worry about gaps anymore though. Interrupting gaps with armor doesn't take 30% like it used to. You might say that was an indirect buff to butcher but it's really not. Losing armor on the ex overhead sucks hard but his other armor is useable now. ex db1 having 2 hits of armor is really nice because the move is so damn slow that it will beat other 2 hit armor attacks because their armor times out before the chainsaw hits! ex db3 does 21% and has 1 hit of armor while his command grab does 20% and has 1 hit of armor. The command grab is so fast that it rarely loses to armor breaking strings, but it can happen.

So, going back to gaps and being +2 and armor... I think Butcher has a mixup game with his armor, (oh, low, grab) but it's all unsafe. It's probably better to stick with command grabs and his safe strings for mixups. Save armor for getting in (ex bf3) or wakeup/reverse pressure.

I'm not sure what the safe low you are referring to is... probably b12. b1~oh bop is probably a decent safe mixup now, even with the gap. Also, f3~oh bop is a low, oh that is +2 with a gap while f21d22 is a safe overhead string. You can cancel f21d2 into the +2 df2 as well.
The safe low being in the 22 mixup

22d2 safe low 22OH hammer plus overhead