What's new

GameFaqs — anybody else use to frequent?

Greetings TYM, this post is also going to unceremoniously serve as my introduction post. On that note, even if I’ve never posted here before, I’ve still been pretty involved in the community. I’ve attended every single EVO in person since 2014, and met a lot of other members in person. Some years I’ll cosplay as Johnny Cage for the grand finals.

Been in the MK Online Community since the mid-90’s back when alt.games.mk was a thing. Was pretty involved with Threshold, MKNightmares, and MK5.org back in the day. The latter having morphed into Mortal Kombat Online while I was in high school, those guys are super cool, still hang out with that crew from time to time.

I’m privileged enough to always be industry adjacent with my work, so I get to go to E3, GDC, and the other insider events. I was lucky enough to attend the MK11 Hollywood reveal back in the day. So I’m a true old school MK fan.

As I’ve gotten older tho, adulting has limited my online presence, so for the most part I’ve only posted on GameFaqs and nowhere else for the past 15 years or so. For better or worse I was known as the defacto “face” of the MK Boards — as if that means anything

I even book a couple of hotel rooms in Vegas every year for EVO to split amongst the other GameFaqs users so we can have a makeshift meet up. Unfortunately, as the years have gone by the number of users who participate has dwindled significantly, as more and more Kombatants leave the platform for greener pastures.

GameFaqs has really gone downhill significantly the past decade, but they really expedited their own demise in the past two years or so, where everyone is pretty much encouraged by the administration to treat each other with hostility — as all the moderators seem to be getting through this pandemic by living vicariously through politics at the moment.

As such the entire platform is just full of toxicity, and every damn topic degenerates into some terrible political argument.

I’ve always been apolitical, and stayed out of that nonsense. I just want to play fighting games, talk about sports, comics, and occasionally make a shitpost. But the entire platform has shrank so much from the #81 ranked Alexa site that it used to be in 2010, to now hosting about 800 active users in total - 100 of them mods.

The other day I made the mistake of posting in a topic that was calling everyone “fascists” with the snide remark of “I’m so apolitical I don’t even know what a fascist is” and that was enough to get my 20 year old account banned for trolling

Considering there is currently an ongoing list of people who’ve banned/suspended over the course of the past few years that is now nearing the thousands, I’m wondering how many of my former GameFaqs Kombatants have also migrated to TYM and now call this place home?

Any old GameFaqs users hanging around these parts?

Last edited:

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I came from a group of GameFaqs users. Back when I didn’t know wtf a frame or “zoning” was. Made great friends 11+ years ago that I still game with today.

I remember being completely intimidated by “The Wharf” lol, good times.

I came from a group of GameFaqs users. Back when I didn’t know wtf a frame or “zoning” was. Made great friends 11+ years ago that I still game with today.

I remember being completely intimidated by “The Wharf” lol, good times.
Were you part of the XBox or PlayStation boards?

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Greetings TYM, this post is also going to unceremoniously serve as my introduction post. On that note, even if I’ve never posted here before, I’ve still been pretty involved in the community. I’ve attended every single EVO in person since 2014, and met a lot of other members in person. Some years I’ll cosplay as Johnny Cage for the grand finals.

Been in the MK Online Community since the mid-90’s back when alt.games.mk was a thing. Was pretty involved with Threshold, MKNightmares, and MK5.org back in the day. The latter having morphed into Mortal Kombat Online while I was in high school, those guys are super cool, still hang out with that crew from time to time.

I’m privileged enough to always be industry adjacent with my work, so I get to go to E3, GDC, and the other insider events. I was lucky enough to attend the MK11 Hollywood reveal back in the day. So I’m a true old school MK fan.

As I’ve gotten older tho, adulting has limited my online presence, so for the most part I’ve only posted on GameFaqs and nowhere else for the past 15 years or so. For better or worse I was known as the defacto “face” of the MK Boards — as if that means anything

I even book a couple of hotel rooms in Vegas every year for EVO to split amongst the other GameFaqs users so we can have a makeshift meet up. Unfortunately, as the years have gone by the number of users who participate has dwindled significantly, as more and more Kombatants leave the platform for greener pastures.

GameFaqs has really gone downhill significantly the past decade, but they really expedited their own demise in the past two years or so, where everyone is pretty much encouraged by the administration to treat each other with hostility — as all the moderators seem to be getting through this pandemic by living vicariously through politics at the moment.

As such the entire platform is just full of toxicity, and every damn topic degenerates into some terrible political argument.

I’ve always been apolitical, and stayed out of that nonsense. I just want to play fighting games, talk about sports, comics, and occasionally make a shitpost. But the entire platform has shrank so much from the #81 ranked Alexa site that it used to be in 2010, to now hosting about 800 active users in total - 100 of them mods.

The other day I made the mistake of posting in a topic that was calling everyone “fascists” with the snide remark of “I’m so apolitical I don’t even know what a fascist is” and that was enough to get my 20 year old account banned for trolling

Considering there is currently an ongoing list of people who’ve banned/suspended over the course of the past few years that is now nearing the thousands, I’m wondering how many of my former GameFaqs Kombatants have also migrated to TYM and now call this place home?

Welcome.
We are all very kind and knowledgeable here.

Art Lean

Noob
Gamefaqs? Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time... a long time.

I didn't realise it was all still online to be honest.

But I too am from MK5.org before it morphed into MKOnline... and much to my surprise some of my posts are still on there from 20 years ago :laughing:

I even dragged one thread back from the dead that I was on after nearly 20 years haha...

So welcome :)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I used to go there way back in the day. Back when ultimatemk.com was popular (which, umk.com, as well as classicmk.com, both have merged with TYM. So you can actually find a lot of the old threads from those forums right here on TYM). I used to be a troll on all these forums tho, lol. My excuse was that I was like 16 or so back then. Anyway, GameFaqs was dope. Not only for the discussion forums, but it had a lot of helpful guides for a bunch of different random games.

Haven’t been on there in awhile, but I’m not surprised to hear what it has become.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
GameFAQs was the first gaming website for which I registered an account more than two decades ago. While the FAQs and guides maintain a high degree of quality that must be appreciated even by today's standards, the boards have always been known as a cesspool of misinformation and trolling.

GameFAQs was the most mainstream gaming website on the Internet in the early and mid 2000s but has been on the decline for various years. The fighting game community, and any other gaming community for that matter, have switched their method of communication and information sharing from forums to Discord, Twitter, YouTube videos, etc. The decline is unrelated to political discussions or corrupt administrators and moderators, who have always been horrendous, even during the time of massive traffic.

I believe that GameFAQs will eventually be archived. The FAQs are incompatible with modern games because of constant patches and hotfixes.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm

Aren't you that assclown who tried to organize a hate mob against me simply because I was making fun of DVDGamesCenter and his 'leaks'?

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
sure.. it used to be the goto before video was the norm... it was all about the awesome formatted txt documents. Not only for fighting games, but also adventure games and point and click and rpgs and stuff. GameFaqs is still around I think but I very rarly ever go there anymore and some of the new game entries would never have got past the old moderators.

I can say I've been browsing gamefaqs for close to two decades now and have honestly never bothered to follow anything besides the Mets topic on the main sports page and some wrestling topics but even those pages are shit nowadays.

I've heard all the stuff about the current events page but never felt compelled to bother visiting it. The funny thing is, if you do not know anything about that page, you are considered noone on that site.

Also, pretty interesting to see the decline in numbers. Like you said, that was the website to be on if you were a gamer or pop culture fan.

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
Gamefaqs was the site that i found through searching the interwebs. it was very basic looking but had some good character guides to learn the moves and stuff. its crazy how certain sites stopped getting searched.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
GameFAQs was my source of knowledge when back in 2000 I started to play Midway, Namco, SNK, Capcom tittles during the Hardcore Arcade era. I considered myself lucky with fluent internet access, as it was not that common, unlike today. The amount of data was incredible, giving me an advantage.

Stopped going for the service, when I stepped down from FGC entirely and took a military job, that I sunk in for 5 years. Years later I ended up here. The forum went through some stages and the golden days are nothing but a relic, but home is a home.

Welcome on board!

MuMuGuy

Noob
GameFaqs is irrelevant due to Discord and YouTube. That site became trash long before that point, in large part due to rampant brigading and biased moderation.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
GameFaqs boards always had the saltiest players without fail. I’ve played several people on there who thought they were hot shit & thought they were god’s gift to MK just to rage & make excuses when they get a shutout in a set.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Back in the day yep. A lot of the oldschool crew here started there. Way back in the Legion of Doom and Justice league days. Good times :)

No, he's the "face of the MK boards"!!! Actually he's also the guy that got banned from NRS events. Bravo.
What are you talking about? I'm not banned from NRS events. I have many friends that still work for the studio. What a strange thing to randomly make up out of nowhere.

Anyhow, I actually got unbanned from GameFaqs. Even got an apology from the admin, that told me it was a "mistake" -- so whatever. I still browse out of convenience, I'm on my phone most of the time, and whenever I have downtime I find myself going to GameFaqs without realizing that I even typed in the address.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks apparently!

Back in the day yep. A lot of the oldschool crew here started there. Way back in the Legion of Doom and Justice league days. Good times :)
I was the figurehead of the Legion -- damn Justice League scoundrals!

I always found it ironic that we didn't carry these gang wars over to Injustice lol