What's new

Game Informer Interview with Ed Boon

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Ed said:
lmost like an epilogue – final conclusion to the story
Ed said:
obviously we want to support the game for as long as players are with us, so to speak. I certainly would love to continue exploring that. Although, in what capacity is a much bigger conversation, like whether it's additional characters or new features, new modes, whatever.
This does sound like MK11 might be wrapping up. I was really hoping we would see another story mode + a KP3 after KP2 is out... but "final conclusion" and "epilogue"... maybe not.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
This does sound like MK11 might be wrapping up. I was really hoping we would see another story mode + a KP3 after KP2 is out... but "final conclusion" and "epilogue"... maybe not.
Story may or may not end, let's see how aftermath will finish.

8 more dlc characters are a given, though.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
yep, but this has a contradiction with this other answer by Ed here :

Well are there any plans to continue to keep this game alive following Aftermath?
Yeah, at that highest level, obviously we want to support the game for as long as players are with us, so to speak. I certainly would love to continue exploring that. Although, in what capacity is a much bigger conversation, like whether it's additional characters or new features, new modes, whatever.

So, if fans support the game (A.K.A buying the expansion Aftermath, and with this , showing interest on MK11), perhaps this could trigger a sense to NRS and Ed Boon, that the fanbase urge for more, and so, there is room for more content in 2021 ... ;)

Yep. This is the only story expansion planned. KP3 highly unlikely.
Well, as I posted above, if the fanbase, show their support (meaning, buying the fucking Aftermath and stop harassing and bothering Ed Boon in Twitter), maybe more quality content will come up, Warner Bros seems to be open for more DLC, IF, a big IF, the financial return of MK11 and Aftermath show that fans loved what came so far, and are able to pay for more, so , it's up to the fanbase feedback ..... if Aftermath does not sell well, you can say goodbye to anything additional for MK11 :confused:

Gamer68

Fujin!
The fact that he compared Aftermath to MKXL and then went on to say that they will still support the game but to what capacity is a "much bigger conversation" kinda makes me lose hope for more characters after this. I know he said that they want to support the game "at the highest level" and talked about maybe making kustom variations tournament legal, but in terms of actual content, again this just doesn't make the chances of that look too good.

Wow at the negativity in here. He has to be vague, how dumb would it have looked to say yeah there’s so much more coming - aside from more twitter harassment, KP2 whining - during a time when he wants the focus to be on Aftermath since if it doesn’t do well, then we might not get as much as Boon alluded to or even anticipated. The backlash would be huge!

In any case, this interview is full of good nuggets:
  • Sindel can still be good or bad (!) - a fan pointed out that as a revenant she’s still under Quan Chi’s influence and like with Scorpion he could have manipulated her memories. I don’t think Boon would say this if she’s pure evil like her current bio and ending made her out to be.
  • Fujin is going to get a lot of love, as well as Sheeva w/ the story focus.
  • DLC is decided based on whether the creators can come up with great gameplay / moves
  • sounds like with Robocop they were much less limited than Terminator and or Joker, actually hearing how the meetings go is cool insight.
  • Mileena he neither confirmed nor denied
  • the 5 chapters are longer and some have up to 6 fights!
How are we not excited?! I sure am and to think this is where it ends is just being negative for no good reason. Focus on Aftermath, support the game and just wait for that KP2 tease end of the summer.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
if the fanbase, show their support (meaning, buying the fucking Aftermath and stop harassing and bothering Ed Boon in Twitter), maybe more quality content will come up,
oh for sure... but what I mean is that this expansion was planned from day one. They didn't get all those name actors back in the studio again. This was all recorded the first time they flew them out and got them accommodation and stuff. This "sounds" to me that from now on, at least story mode wise, there is nothing that was part of the original roadmap. We are firmly in, add more if sales stay high" rather than a committed dlc plan that was part of the original roll out.

Either way I would be astounded if we do not get a KP3.

yep, but this has a contradiction with this other answer by Ed here :

Well are there any plans to continue to keep this game alive following Aftermath?
Yeah, at that highest level, obviously we want to support the game for as long as players are with us, so to speak. I certainly would love to continue exploring that. Although, in what capacity is a much bigger conversation, like whether it's additional characters or new features, new modes, whatever.

So, if fans support the game (A.K.A buying the expansion Aftermath, and with this , showing interest on MK11), perhaps this could trigger a sense to NRS and Ed Boon, that the fanbase urge for more, and so, there is room for more content in 2021 ... ;)

Well, as I posted above, if the fanbase, show their support (meaning, buying the fucking Aftermath and stop harassing and bothering Ed Boon in Twitter), maybe more quality content will come up, Warner Bros seems to be open for more DLC, IF, a big IF, the financial return of MK11 and Aftermath show that fans loved what came so far, and are able to pay for more, so , it's up to the fanbase feedback ..... if Aftermath does not sell well, you can say goodbye to anything additional for MK11 :confused:
I think this is a bad way of thinking. I supported my favorite franchise, the franchise I've supported my entire life, with 100 bucks on release and they gave me a shallow ass game, half the dlc was guests, and I am drip fed content. And now if I spend more money maaaaaaaaybe they'll look into the kindness of their sweet lil NRS hearts and produce more for ME to buy? Hell no, they're not doing me a favor I'm doing one for them by giving my money! This is a multi million dollar business not Ed Boon sitting in a rocking chair getting teary eyed over mean tweets. And if they want my money then they gotta produce good shit and tell me what it is. I'm not doing the 'pay a bunch of money to "support" nrs without knowing what it is' dance again. Or if it's even coming in this case.

Basically buy the story pack if you want the stuff, not because it MIGHT lead to stuff later. Especially if you don't know what you're getting or if it'll be shitty dlc and fucking 50% guests again. That's what I've learned from this game. Don't just throw money at NRS anymore.

Last edited:

Raider

Noob
I don't understand, he says this:

If we just did Mileena, Kitana, Jade, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Rain, you know, all these characters, I think it would get stale after a while. We do need to give characters a rest every once in a while.
But characters like Sub-Zero and Scorpion are in every single game. Why don't give them a rest once im a while?? Both and especially Scorpion are basically on every cover so far.

Basically buy the story pack if you want the stuff, not because it MIGHT lead to stuff later. Especially if you don't know what you're getting or if it'll be shitty dlc and fucking 50% guests again. That's what I've learned from this game. Don't just throw money at NRS anymore.
Unfortunately I came to the same conclusion years ago yet I bought the Premium Edition Day 1. Not only that but I supported MK11 on two different platforms (PS4, PC). But during the last month (the current KL season) I realized that playing MK11 is not fun anymore, it feels way more arbitrary than it should be, it's almost an obsessive-compulsive thing.

I was really hyped about the Last of Us Part II and planned to take a month-long break from MK in February when that game should have been released. It would have been a much needed breather from the craziness that KL brings. But with the delay of TLoU and the whole pandemic/lockdown thing I just kept playing and grinding this game and I'm really burnt out.

I was really contemplating whether or not to buy this expansion and in the end the only reason I chose to buy it because we're still partially in lockdown and The Last of Us is 4 more weeks away. But I won't support MK on two different platforms anymore and with Ghost of Tsushima is also coming I'll drop this game for a good while after 06/19.

My two biggest problems with DLC are:

- the pricing: if you were a Day 1 Premium Edition owner you're milked like a cow. Dear Fan, thank you for supporting our most expensive package at launch, now you can pre-order the expansion for full price again while everyone who's a newcomer or doesn't own Kombat Pack yet can get great discounts. You're welcome!

-
the design policy: I know that they have to sell these new characters somehow but I don't like that the main selling point is look how much more bullshit they have. In MKX Jason was a strong lead-up character, Tanya and Predator were absolute beasts (Tanya was especially considered OP before the nerfs) and Tremor was another really strong addition. Now Shang Tsung was a more traditionally designed MK11 character but all the other DLC have either really strong low/overhead mixups or insane range or both. And now, when everyone learned to hate Upgraded Jacqui they announce Fujin with a smile saying how fun it is that he's not only all over the place on the screen but he has an air parry in case you ever try to knock him out of skywalk. But if not that, he'll just keep you out with a full screen push move. How fun it will be! Footsies and spacing, right?

I intentionally won't say a word about armor breaking moves until I can see them in action but it can literally make or break this game for me. I don't need another bullshit factor where certain characters have more advantages over the cast than others.

So right now I don't really care if there's another pack or not. If Havik and Reiko really make a return and we have only 1 guest among 8 characters that's cool. If they decided to move on to Injustice 3, that's cool too. Ultimately WB will decide what happens next. If they can milk MK11 more because Aftermath sells, they will, no doubt about that.

Oh, and if this interview is about teasing UFC Fight Island as the next NRS game, I'm not interested. Whenever this non-MK or Injustice NRS game happens, it will be a breather for my wallet.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
As much as Ed might love his baby franchise, it's clear that he wants to make something else that is not just Mortal Kombat. Which is fair enough, really, considering he's been doing this since 1992.

As much as Ed might love his baby franchise, it's clear that he wants to make something else that is not just Mortal Kombat. Which is fair enough, really, considering he's been doing this since 1992.
I was basically a PC gamer in all my life until 2016 and I bought my first ever console, a PS4 for MKXL. I haven't regretted it since but still it was my love for the franchise that drove me to make the jump. I wasn't a fan of Injustice GAU at first glance but after I gave it a real chance and learn the mechanics it grew on me. So it's not out of the question that they could make something entirely different thing and it would be still good.

But I like NRS fighters and I come to NRS for fighting games just as I'm looking forward to any new releases from Naughty Dog for a story-based experience. And I'm not expecting great fighting games from id Software nor Sony Santa Monica. Injustice was a great move but it's about characters I like since my childhood. I know that NRS has good connections in the wrestling world and UFC but I don't have the slightest interest in that and I doubt they can make something so extraordinary that would pull me in. I know who Ronda Rousey or John Cena is but I don't want to play as them. So an RPG in the MK Universe with characters I care about is a much more interesting prospect than a UFC based project.

On the other hand since I'm not a fan of anime fighters, Tekken or KI, I would really miss an NRS fighter if there were none for years.

Mr.Khen

I am you
If we just did Mileena, Kitana, Jade, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Rain, you know, all these characters, I think it would get stale after a while. We do need to give characters a rest every once in a while.

SMH
So is Scorpion and SZ are getting a rest in MK12?
I think NOT! :)

Having 5 SF characters second game in a row (they were 7 in MKX) isn't stale at all...

But having: Tanya, Jade, Kitana, Mileena, Skarlet, Rain - All in one game is? (sounds like a dream to me!)

Sonya, Jax, Johnny, Cassie, Jacqui...??

I love daddy Ed SO MUCH, but sometimes... he needs a hug!

Overall the interview is great,
I believe from reading between the lines, Ed's answers are "pretending" as if it's the end of MK11 by comparing it to MKXL
but only so people won't skip this expansion and wait for the next one.
Ed knows his marketing...

But def more content is coming for MK11...

Last edited:
Doesn't take away from them putting a great effort into making the best MK to date, which to me it already was and now has solidified that for sure. Look I see posts like MK2 was the best ever, period! I grew up with it, played it on console and on an arcade. Nothing can beat that experience, but as far as the game itself, no. MK11 will age really well, considering the current graphics, ability to play on next gen consoles, not going to get MK12 maybe ever. MKX was fun sure, but MK11 is more of a traditional fighter so to me it is like they took what worked for the Trilogy era and perfected it. With RetroCade and Fujin in, I don't think I'll ever need another MK.