What's new

Game Informer - Ed Boon On Mortal Kombat's Biggest Misconception

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I would be fine with the saga taking a break, I think they risk burning it out if they don't do it soon. They could finally try making an adventure game inspired in the Mortal Kombat universe, or just explore a completely new ip.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance tease, I'd love. I'm still mad they made Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 a Switch exclusive cause I loved those games when I was younger. :(
My friends rage quit playing it against me because I played Doctor Strange as a really greedy health boost obsessed sorcerer. I just floated around stealing all the spare health, much to their fury. Rise Of The Imperfects caused breakdowns in my friendships.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
@xXRagingFlameXx Have you been following the secretive "Avengers project" Square Enix game? It's rumored to be the spiritual successor to Ultimate games and there's a ton of hype about it.

From the interview I mentioned that explores the "other games than MK" angle.

Interviewer: "1-10 how much do you want to do another IP?"
ED: "9.6"

I: "Here's 100 million dollars and 5 years of time, what game would you make?"
E: "Some kind of persistent online world game that's always on".

I: "What's appealing about that kind of game to you?"
E: "There's something appealing about persistence and how we'd deal with someone turning off the game but you'd have to hide your body somewhere while you're not playing because if someone else finds it they could loot it or kill you or something like that. Something where you're nervous to not play the game."

I: "So not a fighting game?"
E: "No I think we've made enough in terms of if we had our choice to make anything we'd want to branch out a little bit."

On Marvel fighting games: He does go on to say that he's had discussions with Marvel in an unspecified past about making a marvel fighting game or a Marvel vs DC and that they'd be excited about it.

On an MK MMO: He says the idea has been tossed around in studio but nothing has ever been seriously considered by him.

My final thought: Sounds like NRS has some cool ideas for a persistent world survival style action game. That's an emerging genre that really blends a lot of cool mechanics for some unique experiences. I know I enjoyed Conan Exiles way more than I expected.

Last edited:

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
@xXRagingFlameXx Have you been following the secretive "Avengers project" Square Enix game? It's rumored to be the spiritual successor to Ultimate games and there's a ton of hype about it.
I think I've heard that name tossed around! Hopefully we find out more about it sooner or later. I had so much fun playing the first 2 games way back when.

trufenix

bye felicia
The freemium game marvel heroes is about as close as you can get to a successor to MUA, the developers have been pretty unabashed about it.