What's new

Tech Fuzzy guard setups

Pretty sure Harley's fuzzy setups have been known since day 1, but I haven't seen anybody talk about her practical setups in much depth so here's a bunch of stuff I've worked on.

3 3 is an untechable knockdown that lets Harley get a deep jumpin that allows her to perform fuzzy guard setups. "Fuzzy guard" meaning, she does a deep jumpin while her opponent is still on the ground, her opponent is forced to block that jumpin by blocking high, but then if they switch from high block to low block their hittable box doesn't go from standing to crouching immediately, which allows moves that would normally whiff to connect, block or hit. So after a deep jumpin such as the one you can do after landing 3 3, you can do a quick neutral jump 2 which will act as an instant overhead if they switch from high block to low block expecting a low such as B2 2. So they effectively have to guess whether you're going high or low. After a connected fuzzy neutral jump 2, you can buffer 1 2 and confirm into a full combo ending in 3 3 which can lead back into the same setup.

This is most practical in the corner because it works on everyone, but in the corner it's probably more practical to do it after 1 1 2 instead of 3 3. Harley can use a combo such as J2 B2 2 xx TS1 B3 J2 3 3 or J2 B2 2 xx TS1 J2 3 3 to set it up midscreen, but it's character specific. The characters it works on midscreen are:

The Flash, Green Arrow, Cyborg, Shazam, Harley Quinn, Lex Luthor (1 2 will whiff after the neutral jump 2, but D1 will work), Doomsday, Sinestro, Bane (same as Lex, 1 2 will whiff after the neutral jump 2, but D1 will work), Batgirl, and Lobo.

Cancelling into air gunshot from the neutral jump 2 works on everyone, but it does a lot less damage, doesn't lead back into the same setup the way a full combo would, and isn't safe on block unless you're willing to burn the meter. Still, it's quite useful if your opponent is low enough on life that it will kill.

Wakeup attacks blow this setup up, but you can empty jump after the 3 3 to bait and punish.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Pretty sure Harley's fuzzy setups have been known since day 1, but I haven't seen anybody talk about her practical setups in much depth so here's a bunch of stuff I've worked on.

3 3 is an untechable knockdown that lets Harley get a deep jumpin that allows her to perform fuzzy guard setups. "Fuzzy guard" meaning, she does a deep jumpin while her opponent is still on the ground, her opponent is forced to block that jumpin by blocking high, but then if they switch from high block to low block their hittable box doesn't go from standing to crouching immediately, which allows moves that would normally whiff to connect, block or hit. So after a deep jumpin such as the one you can do after landing 3 3, you can do a quick neutral jump 2 which will act as an instant overhead if they switch from high block to low block expecting a low such as B2 2. So they effectively have to guess whether you're going high or low. After a connected fuzzy neutral jump 2, you can buffer 1 2 and confirm into a full combo ending in 3 3 which can lead back into the same setup.

This is most practical in the corner because it works on everyone, but in the corner it's probably more practical to do it after 1 1 2 instead of 3 3. Harley can use a combo such as J2 B2 2 xx TS1 B3 J2 3 3 or J2 B2 2 xx TS1 J2 3 3 to set it up midscreen, but it's character specific. The characters it works on midscreen are:

The Flash, Green Arrow, Cyborg, Shazam, Harley Quinn, Lex Luthor (1 2 will whiff after the neutral jump 2, but D1 will work), Doomsday, Sinestro, and Bane (same as Lex, 1 2 will whiff after the neutral jump 2, but D1 will work).

Cancelling into air gunshot from the neutral jump 2 works on everyone, but it does a lot less damage, doesn't lead back into the same setup the way a full combo would, and isn't safe on block unless you're willing to burn the meter. Still, it's quite useful if your opponent is low enough on life that it will kill.

Wakeup attacks blow this setup up, but you can empty jump after the 3 3 to bait and punish.

I don't have the DLC characters yet so I can't test it on them, so if anyone tests that let me know and I'll add that info in.
Good stuff man.. Thanks for the breakdown :) look forward to exploring more

zak123

XBL: Phish Head PSN: zak123
Hard as all hell to pull off online, moderately challenging off. I need to work on this, it would make her mixup game go from above average to insanely good. Thanks for the tech!

Katt

Magnet
This is very interresting!

From quick nj2, can you buffer 2xxTS1 instead of 12xxTS1 for consistency against all chars?

deg222

Best Zatanna that uses Aquaman
This is very interresting!

From quick nj2, can you buffer 2xxTS1 instead of 12xxTS1 for consistency against all chars?
You can't. While hit stun on jump ins aren't usually an issue, it would be in this case if you try to chain into a 2. Only a 1 and d1 works I believe.

Got the DLC. The midscreen setup works on Lobo and Batgirl as well.

Hard as all hell to pull off online, moderately challenging off. I need to work on this, it would make her mixup game go from above average to insanely good. Thanks for the tech!

Yeah it requires a bit of practice, and timing the NJ2 is definitely harder on some characters. I've found the best way to practice the timing is to set the dummy to block auto and crouch. If you get the timing wrong the NJ2 will whiff, but it'll get blocked if you get it right.

When I get a bit of free time that I feel like spending grinding it out I'll make a proper chart that lists how easy/difficult it is on everyone. Seems to vary based on their hitbox and reelback animation.

KamkaziChicila

Harley & Zatana is all I need.
Thank you for posting this. Like you said, this should of been common knowledge for Harley's week 1, but this is excellent for people just starting to learn her :)

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
after all my blocked jump ins I get hit by D.1 dashers :/
Does her j.3 have enough block frames to prevent d.1 mashers?

Reauxbot

deg222

Just use a deeper j2. J3 has a good amount of block stun, but pushes back too far.

Reauxbot

Just use a deeper j2. J3 has a good amount of block stun, but pushes back too far.
You never get D.1d outa the deep J.2 Cause I have a D.1 happy friend who uses G.A :\ and I ger arrow comboed all the time.
Im new with HQ and not on currently. Sorry for the noob q and a

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
I've noticed that the 100% invincible wake ups really take away from set ups like these. Fuzzy guards and meatys are very risky to do because of the fact that if you guess wrong, you're going to eat a lot of damage. Still a very good find regardless. I love seeing things like that in this game.

deg222

After finding different ways to optimize this fuzzy guard tech, I finally found a good an efficient way of pulling it off. I take the approach of jumping in with a deep j3, then follow it up with a jump forward j2 for an instant overhead.... if the opponent ducks at this moment, they'll get hit because they can't crouch underneath the j2 in time.