What's new

Fujin Discussion Thread

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Lowkey surprised this hasn't been made yet. Anyhow, this thread is for discussing our long-awaited God of Wind, Fujin! Only having shown up in MK4 and Armageddon, Fujin has huge potential for bringing his style and skill set into the modern NRS MK era.

Our boy's lookin snazzy with his long and braided hair, Kung Lao-level over the top moves, and badass sword + wind play. He's also sporting his MK4 crossbow at his hip, but no videos or screenshots have shown any usage of it thus far.

EDIT: After the 5/20/20 Kombat Kast, we now have Fujin's base specials and tournament variations. Please see below.

Base Specials:
  • Krossbow Shot: straight projectile.
    • Amplification: can shoot a second straight projectile or make the one projectile floor/ceiling bounce like MK4
      • Can choose to begin the bouncing amp'd projectile upwards or downwards
  • Flying Kicks: obligatory combo-ending pure damage special.
    • This is Fujin's armor breaker
    • Amplification: adds additional hits and damage
  • Tornado Spin: ceiling-reaching knock-up.
    • No amplification option in Fujin's base kit
    • Cannot combo after if used on a grounded opponent outside the corner (at least from what was shown)
    • Can be input with a forward or backward to make Fujin move slightly forward / backward during the tornado
Variation 1 - Wind God: this appears to be the simple combo variation, but it does also have a lot of utility through an air-to-ground air special and air-to-air advancing special.
  • Amplified Tornado Spin: adds amplification option to Tornado Spin.
    • Amplified spins also have the forward/backward movement option
    • Amplified spins do another knock-up, allowing for combo follow-ups
    • May be amplified twice and both amplifications can do different movement directions
  • Hovering Short Hop: a special version of the short hop that floats.
    • Fujin still has access to the regular short hop. This move is its own separate special via a down-up input
    • Lasts indefinitely until Fujin attacks or cancels it (nothing mentioned on if cancel requires meter)
    • Appears to go much higher than regular short hops. Maybe goes over D1s?
    • Krushing Blow: attack punishes / kounters a low attack. Deals 140 damage and launches for combo
  • Aerial Tornado / Flying Kicks: allows the use of Tornado Spin and Flying Kicks while in the air.
Variation 2 - Wind Walker: here is the weirdo shenanigans variation. This variation has access to the air walking stance and its multiple attack options as well as a defensive cancel.
  • Sword Spin: multi-hitting attack that is completely safe on amp. A potent-looking stagger tool.
    • Replaces Flying Kicks
    • Amplification: does a follow-up strike that knocks down on hit or knocks VERY far away on block
  • Air Walk: movement-based stance with multiple options during.
    • Option 1: Dive Kick
      • Amplification: adds old MK4 flying knees which makes the dive kick safe on block or additional damage on hit
        • Goes the same direction the dive kick did. Does not auto-correct direction towards opponent
        • Krushing Blow: unknown requirement but was shown in the Kast. Deals bonus damage
    • Option 2: Sword Stab
      • Air-to-air attack option
      • Auto-corrects direction towards the opponent
      • Meterless option to cancel the air walk
    • Option 3: Cancel
      • Uses 1 defensive bar to immediately drop Fujin to the ground
    • Option 4: Air Parry (see below)
  • Air Parry: it's a parry... in the AIR!
    • Option 1: air-to-air parry that parries the opponent's aerial attack
    • Option 2: air-to-ground parry that parries the opponent's grounded anti-air attack
Variation 3 - F5: spacing / pseudo-zoning variation. Kenshi and Ermac players rejoice!
  • Amplified F2/B2: adds amplification options to Fujin's F2/B2 spacing normals for extra damage.
    • Amplification: stabs the opponent during the tornado suck-in portion of F2/B2
    • Krushing Blow: attack punishes / kounters a backdash. Deals additional damage
  • Wind Shove: multi-range, very fast shove attack.
    • Replaces Krossbow Shot
    • Close, Medium, and Far variants
    • Very notable speed and push back on hit
    • Amplification: adds a second shove for additional damage. Second shove does no chip on block, but does massive push back
    • Krushing Blow: attack hits after having used the other two distance Wind Shoves immediately before. Deals additional damage
  • Wind Lift: anti-air-only attack that allows for combos on amplification.
    • Only hits aerial opponents
    • Designed to catch opponents attempting to jump over the Wind Shove
    • Amplification: launches the opponent off screen in a combo state

Last edited:

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
For the currently revealed gameplay, see the Aftermath trailer 00:53 - 01:08.

EDIT: for more gameplay, see the Aftermath gameplay trailer 00:26 - 00:30 ; 00:35 - 00:41 ; 01:16 - 01:20 ; 01:30 - 01:40

EDIT 2: the 5/20/20 Kombat Kast went through Fujin's specials and variations. Breakdown begins at 24:41.

Last edited:

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Fujin is one of my favourites and from what little we’ve seen, they’ve done him justice.

I can already see a few of his klassic moves that have been nicely adapted into the modern MK playing style, and I can’t wait to get my hands on him and see more.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Raiden:
  • Head looks like Buzz Lightyear
  • Uses a stick to poke people
  • Already went through an emo phase twice now
  • Keeps trying to kill Liu Kang for some reason
  • Got so lame he doesn't yell during superman move anymore
Fujin:
  • Has a long ass ponytail and owns it
  • Uses a sword AND crossbow, both better than a stick
  • Hasn't gone through an emo phase, is a chill guy
  • Isn't trying to kill Liu Kang
  • Has only gotten cooler, now with 100% more awesome tattoos
Now tell me why some people didn't want Fujin, again?

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Well Raiden didn't kill LK in the lastest canon timeline so...lol he merged with him and sacrificed his power, but seems like he'll get it back at some point during the DLC story mode? Or perhaps it's past Raiden before he does such. Who knows what will happen now.

But you forgot one thing.

Raiden-Legacy character in every MK game, gets punked to hell in MK 11 and is low tier.

Fujin-Gets punked in most MK games, has been in literally 3 MK games out of 11 in total fighting games after over a decade since his last gameplay showing(MK A 2006) NRS finally puts him back in and MK game. Looks awesome, has awesome moves and can't wait to play him. Let's hope he's not low tier God 2.0 like Raiden.

Been wanting Fujin since MK 9, so happy he's back and looks awesome.

Slymind

Noob
His outfit in the second pic is perfection. This should be the basis for Fujin going foward if he shows up in a future title.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Fujin always had an interesting lore around him. However, for some reason he's probably the most sidelined character in the franchise since 1997.

I'm glad to finally see him debut in playable form in the new era.

Before the shitty time travel plot, it was the perfect time to finally have him face Dark Raiden and become the Protector of Earth. Oh well...

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Fujin always had an interesting lore around him. However, for some reason he's probably the most sidelined character in the franchise since 1997.

I'm glad to finally see him debut in playable form in the new era.

Before the shitty time travel plot, it was the perfect time to finally have him face Dark Raiden and become the Protector of Earth. Oh well...
Let's be fair here, though: Fujin's debut in MK4 was an air aesthetic replacement of Kung Lao's kit designed to canonically replace Raiden as protector of Earthrealm. Unsurprisingly, that's a tough sell to make and resulted in Fujin being ignored until Armageddon.

I will say that Fujin's sidelining in MKX made NO sense considering they put in the effort to integrate him into the story at first. He would have been a perfect counter to Angry Raiden at the end of X and moving into 11.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Let's be fair here, though: Fujin's debut in MK4 was an air aesthetic replacement of Kung Lao's kit designed to canonically replace Raiden as protector of Earthrealm. Unsurprisingly, that's a tough sell to make and resulted in Fujin being ignored until Armageddon.

I will say that Fujin's sidelining in MKX made NO sense considering they put in the effort to integrate him into the story at first. He would have been a perfect counter to Angry Raiden at the end of X and moving into 11.
Yes. But Raiden was supposed to ascend, and then he came back when Shang Tsung and Quan Chi joined forces and he didn't even asked Fujin for help lol

Then Fujin tried to help the Spirit of Liu Kang later, along with Kung Lao. At that time Dark Raiden was out of control. That kind of set up is what they did in the ending of MKX.

They had Raiden and Fujin fighting Shinnok (with Sonya, Johnny, Kenshi) mirroring MK4; and by the end Dark Raiden was starting his reign. It was the time for Fujin to step in in MK11 to stop Raiden, but...

Gamer68

Fujin!

I remember hearing something about how Fujin was supposed to have more of a presence in the original MKX story, but then they made a lot of changes. That's why he shows up in Chapter 1 but the disappears right after.

To me it's surprising Fujin actually made it in. Thought for sure NRS had demoted him to be a character they can troll the fanbase with:
  • Was cut from MK9 (apparently).
  • Was introduced then immediately sidelined in MKX.
  • Cassie's social media Fatality in MKX had an Ed tweet saying "Has anyone unlocked Fujin yet?"
  • The boxes on the Black Dragon Fight Club in MK11, according to one translation, roughly states "Fuck Fujin"
  • Wasn't mentioned once during the MK11 story.
Guess NRS got tired of trolling Fujin fans and moved on to Mileena and Rain fans instead, lol.

KCJ506

Noob
Raiden:
  • Head looks like Buzz Lightyear
  • Uses a stick to poke people
  • Already went through an emo phase twice now
  • Keeps trying to kill Liu Kang for some reason
  • Got so lame he doesn't yell during superman move anymore
Fujin:
  • Has a long ass ponytail and owns it
  • Uses a sword AND crossbow, both better than a stick
  • Hasn't gone through an emo phase, is a chill guy
  • Isn't trying to kill Liu Kang
  • Has only gotten cooler, now with 100% more awesome tattoos
Now tell me why some people didn't want Fujin, again?
A lot of Fujin naysayers I've come across usual argument against him is that he's "wind Raiden." The only thing the two have in common are being Gods. That's like calling Shinnok "death Raiden" since he(or was) an Elder God.

We wouldn't want him to end up just being "wind Raiden" anyways since that'll mean getting a collection of useless custom moves and a dead v3.

Mr.Khen

I am you
He better become a regular.
I've been waiting for him for 14 years.
I remember when he was debuted in MK4 I was so hyped about him, (omg 23 years ago??? NANI?? F how old am I??)
I didn't have a computer back then so I would go to my cousin on the weekends and play for the entire weekend
sometimes skip school to steal another day.

He's HAWTTTTT AF and he has the best hair in the game. I am glad they made him and his fighting style gorgeous looking.
There was really no good enough reason not to include him for so long.

I am curious to find out his gameplan across his variations and I assume we'll be getting some Kombat Kast sometime soon!

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I've never seen confirmations of fujin being cut in mk 9. Links?proof? Though he should have been in it. I remember ed saying that harley and Quan chi were planned DLC for mk vs dc but never happened due to midway going bankrupt, as well as them planning to patch flash and super infinites.

Anyway, Fujin should be a zoner or have a heavy zone style with similar emac like moves using wind instead of tk.

Last edited: