What's new

FT2 or FT3?

FT2 or FT3?

• Total voters
Alright.
But when you lose, you also have access to counterpicks, or at the very least a character that goes 5-5 in that particular MU. Or maybe you don't, which would be entirely your fault.
Don’t need counterpicks. I get my wins from solid play. Ft2 takes away from the counterpicking aspect.

If y’all want endless sets play a private match. It’s really simple.

Good point but yes and no...

If that was the case, then it would show how the bad the balance of characters really are. Ft2 is forcing you to stick to your guns in a way
Big fax! It does force you to stick with your guns. Most players in ranked are good enough with their mains to beat a pocket character anyway.

I whip someone with Jade & they immediately run to pocket Reborn Scorpion lol. It helps that Scorpion is my all time main, but they still get waxed.

S+ Main

Noob
Imagine how cool it would be if you were character locked like in SFV, u pick your character when u search so there is no mid set counter picking. Also this is ranked not tournament so they don't have to emulate tournament rules where u can go back to character select.

Terrible change IMO, Ranked its not emulating tournament, but its helping getting the best experience against the majority of the characters as much as possible.

I will miss the amout of times i reverced 2-0 in ranked matches.
How’re are you getting the XP when most players counterpick after a loss? Lol

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
How’re are you getting the XP when most players counterpick after a loss? Lol
Some ppl don't counter pick specially when they have won 2 games in a row, so if they feel they can win, they stick to their guns, i just respond accordingly.

Besides when they counter pick they usually pick Scorpion, which is a MU i'm tired of encountering online, so its always a fun ride.

Last edited:
Some ppl don't counter pick specially when they have won 2 games in a row, so if they feel they can win, they stick to their guns, i just respond accordingly.

Besides when they counter pick they usually pick Scorpion, which is a MU i'm tired of encountering online, so its always a fun ride.
You play a zoning character, as do I. How many times has someone ran to a Teleport character in ranked after getting squashed? Lol

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
You play a zoning character, as do I. How many times has someone ran to a Teleport character in ranked after getting squashed? Lol
Counterpicking is possible in sets of any kind (FT2, FT3, it doesn't matter) so this point is irrelevant.

If you lose, it doesn't matter if you change your character after the first loss or the second. If I change and end up winning the set because of a counterpick, you should've had a backup.

Counterpicking is possible in sets of any kind (FT2, FT3, it doesn't matter) so this point is irrelevant.

If you lose, it doesn't matter if you change your character after the first loss or the second. If I change and end up winning the set because of a counterpick, you should've had a backup.
It’s online ranked, not a tournament. I don’t have all day for the nonsense. It’s takes entirely too long to go all the way back to char select anyway. I win...get countered by pocket char...win again.....go back to character select just to pick the same char I just washed.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Just last night i made two full comebacks from 2-0 to 3-2 after i adapted to my opponent. Ft2 only encourages gimmicks and dump shit that will make the loser always feel cheated rather than needing to learn or improve. Absolutely nothing good comes from Ft2 ffs change it back.
I did the same exact thing last night. It was very satisfying.

Luckily I don’t touch ranked in this game :cool:

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I forgot to mention that since I just got a new PSN and been on there, I've had a few VERY close ranked sets. A really good Cassie and a different player with Cetrion. One I came back from 2-0, and I can honestly say the adrenaline was awesome. IMO the only way you can duplicate that feeling with just FT2 is if you're in a live tournament setting, but even then I would prefer FT3 even though it probably won't change.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
You want to finish the game sooner only to start a new one right? Then why does it matter that you play 1-2 extra games against the same opponent compared to playing those games against a new opponent? In both scenarios you still continue playing MK11.
At least with FT3 you can get more matchup experience in one batch against a certain character.
Because if the opponent is trash or their connection is you probably want to move on quicker.

I agree with Eddy though that following the tournament rules is kind of lame. I get why they do it, but Ranked is more about seeing different playstyles and trying to adapt to them, and FT3 fits that better. But it seems that NRS wants the mode to feel like you're in tournament, which is why they go by the pro tour rules. Overall though i'd prefer FT3.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
I like Ft2 because I don’t have to deal with winning 2 games, & next thing I know I’m on the business end of a hard counterpick. I use Jade btw...not hard to guess what the counter is lol.
If someone wants to counter pick you they'd do that on the select screen before the set even starts, Ppl will be even more focused on it now than ever because there is no room for adaption, One who have the advantage at the start of the set will be the one who wins the set. Besides, counter picking have always been a part of competitive play. It's not something that needs ruining a perfect tournament settings to prevent.

CriticalDrop

Beers, grabs & dropped combos
FT3, no doubt. Everytime, everywhere.

It's not about if you win or lose, it's about having fun and learning the game, things that, from my point of view are closely intertwined.
As many of you have said, playing FT3 is way better to learn matchups. In my humble opinion, ranked is the best place (even better than long casual sets) to learn how to adapt to different players with their own playstyles, strategies and habits for any character, and it is best done in Ft3 sets.
Even if your opponent decides to counterpick, you will have from two to four sets with one of the characters selected by him/her (except if he/she counterpicks more than once, which isn't very usual), while in FT2 sets it can only be 1 or 2 matches against each of them.

Last edited:
If someone wants to counter pick you they'd do that on the select screen before the set even starts, Ppl will be even more focused on it now than ever because there is no room for adaption, One who have the advantage at the start of the set will be the one who wins the set. Besides, counter picking have always been a part of competitive play. It's not something that needs ruining a perfect tournament settings to prevent.
If they counter I only have to beat them 1 more time....that’s the point you’re missing. It still takes away from counter picking. I’ve had sets where I was counter picked twice.

I use Jade to bop his Sub-Zero. He runs to Raiden. I bop Raiden he runs to Scorpion. Some of those sets are just too long for a random match. I don’t want to possibly play someone 5 games on the strength of a bad MU. That’s what private matches are for.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Its obvious what NRS is trying to do. They want to make this whole Kombat tour Ft2 so they want to match training for it. Instead of listening to what MOST people want (Ft3) they decided to go backwards and give us the worst case scenario. I guess those "pros" somebody was speaking of was like, "Well if you're gonna make competitions Ft2 might as well make ranked match the same rules!" Knowing damn well in their hearts of hearts thats NOT what they really want for this game. But whateva....just give us Customs already.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Why tf can’t they have different search options for FT1, 2, and 3. People who have a preference between 2 and 3 can choose and a first to 1 for those times you gotta leave the house in 5 minutes and wanna get a game in. But 3 is definitely better than 2, it just seems stupid that we have to pick.

Imo ft2 promotes more character loyalty
If the aim is to promote character loyalty, why not a first to 1? IMO more mk is a great thing, more games = more fun. One could always argue that lag ruins ranked, or any match. However most of the time if it’s really bad you can opt out of badly lagging matches. Extremely laggy sets seem to be more of an exception than the rule wouldn’t you agree?
You want to finish the game sooner only to start a new one right? Then why does it matter that you play 1-2 extra games against the same opponent compared to playing those games against a new opponent? In both scenarios you still continue playing MK11.
At least with FT3 you can get more matchup experience in one batch against a certain character.
But a first 2 two means they may catch on to my play style. Why would anyone wanna get downloaded in a competition. Needs to be one sided, always!

It’s online ranked, not a tournament. I don’t have all day for the nonsense. It’s takes entirely too long to go all the way back to char select anyway. I win...get countered by pocket char...win again.....go back to character select just to pick the same char I just washed.
If your time is that precious, why are you playing the game, but let’s take it a step further, if the time is that much of an issue as you say, why are you playing ranked where you are locked in a set. Would private or kasual match be more your forte so you can opt out of it whenever you want? Doesn’t make much sense to say you don’t have all day, insinuating time is an issue, then continuing to play locked into a game that wastes more time than player match. This logic is confusing.

I had a set last week that almost lasted 10 real world minutes lol. Score was 3-1, not even a 5 games series.
Not gonna lie, that sounds like a fun set. Nothing’s worse than losing a game, getting tea bagged, and berated after one game. You got a few matches in, game wasn’t a blow out, and you played more mk. Isn’t that the goal?

Why tf can’t they have different search options for FT1, 2, and 3. People who have a preference between 2 and 3 can choose and a first to 1 for those times you gotta leave the house in 5 minutes and wanna get a game in. But 3 is definitely better than 2, it just seems stupid that we have to pick.
Something like this would divide the player base to far. Kinda like how dice does battlefield on consoles. All these modes for choice and always, I mean always players choose to neglect the extras and it all ends up with everyone funneled into one game type while the rest are a barren wasteland.

If the aim is to promote character loyalty, why not a first to 1? IMO more mk is a great thing, more games = more fun. One could always argue that lag ruins ranked, or any match. However most of the time if it’s really bad you can opt out of badly lagging matches. Extremely laggy sets seem to be more of an exception than the rule wouldn’t you agree?

But a first 2 two means they may catch on to my play style. Why would anyone wanna get downloaded in a competition. Needs to be one sided, always!

If your time is that precious, why are you playing the game, but let’s take it a step further, if the time is that much of an issue as you say, why are you playing ranked where you are locked in a set. Would private or kasual match be more your forte so you can opt out of it whenever you want? Doesn’t make much sense to say you don’t have all day, insinuating time is an issue, then continuing to play locked into a game that wastes more time than player match. This logic is confusing.

Not gonna lie, that sounds like a fun set. Nothing’s worse than losing a game, getting tea bagged, and berated after one game. You got a few matches in, game wasn’t a blow out, and you played more mk. Isn’t that the goal?
Play time is limited. I am an adult I don’t have the luxury of playing MK 24/7, so yes time is precious. With the time I do have I’d rather play someone’s main opposed to a random pocket character in ranked. More of a reason why I usually run sets with other folks from TYM. Now how do you feel?