What's new

FT2 or FT3?

FT2 or FT3?

• Total voters

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
Im already very stressed out with ft2. Lost most of my ranked sets todays by fucking gimmicks. Geez. Went from 6# to 21# :(

Thingy

Retired account
I am glad they changed it. How many games do you need to "adjust to your losses? Until you just accept that you got beat.

Not to mention, sometimes the connection is awful and sitting through that in a FT3 can be painful.
Agreed. If the set was that good just message and add the player for more games later in longer sets. That is what I do.

Thingy

Retired account
There is a place for both FT3 and FT2. Personally, I wish there were options for FT2, FT3, FT5, and FT10 matchmaking...even if they were not "ranked".

As far as the change to FT2 in ranked, I don't mind it at all. But then again, I usually play Kasual matches for longer sets. I am not the ranked junkie type.

Ranked Sets of first to 3 was one of the best aspects of Injustice 2. I'm a long time fan of MK games but I wasn't really competitive in the NRS era until 2016. The sparks of my 'Kompetitive Spirit' came with MKXL and I'm learning and getting better ever since. Since I have the experience to compare 1&done Ranked of MKX and first to 3 of Injustice 2 I can safely say that the latter was much better. It was so good to see when I actually noticed something and adapted to it and turned the tie in my favour with those adjustments.

And it has been the case with MK11 too. I'm not Sonic Fox, I have no local scene, E-Sport is barely a thing in my country especially with fighters so I play for having fun but I still want to improve and be the best I can be. First to 3 let me learn so much. Just yesterday I had two matches that were fine examples while first to 3 is the way to go: I lost a set 2-3 against a player who was better than me but I was up 2-1. I was clearly exposed in the last two matches, he adapted to my game and I had no answers to that. So I would have won that set 2-1 post patch but it would have been pure luck.

Other set was right down to the wire. 2-2, 3rd round of the Final match. That's how I really prefer to fight them. I was on the brink of losing when I made some good reads and brought it back to the point of one final read. I made a huge mistake and instead of being patient I let my opponent bait out a whiff and punish me where I should have done the same and I lost. I know exactly where I made the mistake and what I should have done so I'm still mad at myself but that was a valuable lesson. Once again I was 2-1 up after ft2.

So all that learning experience was taken from me. And the satisfaction of a reverse 3-0. I've done that a couple of times and man that was satisfiying! I played against a Kano who beat me twice with the Fatal Blow as last hit and some gimmicks. I was bashing myself loudly in front of the screen because it was so infuriating to know he's not that better than me and I noticed his patterns but still wasn't able to punish them properly. Then I run him back and reverse 3-0'd him with proper punishes and he couldn't change his game up. That's the best thing. I'd rather lose 5 out of 10 games 2-3 than won 8 of 10 2-1. When I'm clearly the better player it doesn't really matter if it's a quick 2-0 or 3-0. But if it's right down to the wire and back and forth and I win in the end that gives me much more satisfaction.

And once again: I payed for this game on 2 different platforms (Ps4, PC) and there was no official word this was coming and more importantly I didn't ask for it and wasn't asked about it. Whose decision was this? What was the ide behind it? Were the pros asking for it? And why not offering both options? The minimum thing would have been poll-happy Boon asks the Kommunity on Twitter about their preference and if the poll shows that's what the majority wants then they change it.

But no, out of nowhere they announce Kombat League will have priority over Ranked Sets and Ranked Sets will be changed how they want it. How stupid is that? Why can't we have more options? Why can't we play what we want to play and how we want to play it whenever we want to play it? Why limit the player on every friggin korner?

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
FT2. FT3 takes too long. Also, this is a neutral based game and if you have good "footsies" gimmicks shouldn't be as big of an issue compared to say, MKX
I disagree! There are some characters that focus on neutral play but. A good Handful Don't. Gimicks can be makeshift 50/50s and can trip up any player until they adapt to said gimick, less time to adapt can mean the better player takes that L.
I can understand length being a factor If it where FT5-FT10 sets but it was FT3 if you can't sit and play 5 rounds max don't know how you could handle majors.

That was literally the only thing ranked had going for it was that it was FT3. Shit matchmaking, made you play WiFi players and forced you to play bad connection in disguise.

Personally I want FT3 and filter to weed out WiFi players on thier Toasters. Maybe even a filter to region lock or choose ms connection (60ms-80ms)

AbeW

Noob
FT 10! As witnessed in the comments, some of you will have a spark in your noggin when you're 9 down! You will do a reverse 10-0 shortly thereafter! It is never just a spark, it is a raging flame, eh pinocchio army?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Everyone prefers more matches in sets. The change was made to align with the tournament pro series rules, which was requested. No one who is a good player really prefers ft2 over ft3, but if that’s the tournament rules for pools, it’s only logical that ranked sets follow suit. Ranked already follows the tournament variation rules.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Everyone prefers more matches in sets. The change was made to align with the tournament pro series rules, which was requested. No one who is a good player really prefers ft2 over ft3, but if that’s the tournament rules for pools, it’s only logical that ranked sets follow suit. Ranked already follows the tournament variation rules.
Terrible change IMO, Ranked its not emulating tournament, but its helping getting the best experience against the majority of the characters as much as possible.

I will miss the amout of times i reverced 2-0 in ranked matches.

Sazbak

Noob
I'm a fan of the change.

FT2 is so much better, as ranked matches no longer take 14 years to finish.
You want to finish the game sooner only to start a new one right? Then why does it matter that you play 1-2 extra games against the same opponent compared to playing those games against a new opponent? In both scenarios you still continue playing MK11.
At least with FT3 you can get more matchup experience in one batch against a certain character.

Just last night i made two full comebacks from 2-0 to 3-2 after i adapted to my opponent. Ft2 only encourages gimmicks and dump shit that will make the loser always feel cheated rather than needing to learn or improve. Absolutely nothing good comes from Ft2 ffs change it back.
I like Ft2 because I don’t have to deal with winning 2 games, & next thing I know I’m on the business end of a hard counterpick. I use Jade btw...not hard to guess what the counter is lol.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Imo ft2 promotes more character loyalty
Isn'tit the other way around? In a ft3 you can adapt easier with your charater, in a ft2 if you see it's not worth using your char first game, the only way to win is counterpick or pick a pocket/top tier char and try to win.

MURK

Noob
Isn'tit the other way around? In a ft3 you can adapt easier with your charater, in a ft2 if you see it's not worth using your char first game, the only way to win is counterpick or pick a pocket/top tier char and try to win.

Good point but yes and no...

If that was the case, then it would show how the bad the balance of characters really are. Ft2 is forcing you to stick to your guns in a way

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
You want to finish the game sooner only to start a new one right? Then why does it matter that you play 1-2 extra games against the same opponent compared to playing those games against a new opponent? In both scenarios you still continue playing MK11.
At least with FT3 you can get more matchup experience in one batch against a certain character.
Because in a FT3 we apparently have to go back to character select after every damn match. Oh, lost with that character, better try a counterpick! Damn, lost with that one too... alright, time to go scorpion. It's annoying.

I'm just tryna play, pick your main and let's go!!!

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
I like Ft2 because I don’t have to deal with winning 2 games, & next thing I know I’m on the business end of a hard counterpick. I use Jade btw...not hard to guess what the counter is lol.
Alright.
But when you lose, you also have access to counterpicks, or at the very least a character that goes 5-5 in that particular MU. Or maybe you don't, which would be entirely your fault.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Imo ft2 promotes more character loyalty
I like character loyalty. In a FT3 set, it's true there's greater opportunity to change, but let's also acknowledge that there's just as likely a chance to remain the same character because of what you learned from the losses incurred in the set so far.