What's new

Frost Tournament Variation 3 discussion: ARCTIC ANARCHY

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Ok So here's what Im realizing needs to be done a lot with this variation, her auger launch. It doubles as a great AA for jump happy characters (or characters that like to jump backward and dive towards you) and as a great distance controlling tool. The fast recovery forces the opponent to either back up or try desperately to get in and if they do by blocking an auger, chances are you are positive so its your turn.

So the D4, Auger launch and 22 are a hell of a combo. All tools I dont use nearly enough lol

Jonovah

Noob
Previously posted a lab of this. Been trying this out on kl and it seems to work fairly consistently (when I'm not messing up inputs) the scenario and positioning will always be different, but as long as you stick with this sequence of moves, the timing/chance to get the freeze is almost perfect. Wish her b3 was faster though :/

Jonovah

Noob
Ok So here's what Im realizing needs to be done a lot with this variation, her auger launch. It doubles as a great AA for jump happy characters (or characters that like to jump backward and dive towards you) and as a great distance controlling tool. The fast recovery forces the opponent to either back up or try desperately to get in and if they do by blocking an auger, chances are you are positive so its your turn.

So the D4, Auger launch and 22 are a hell of a combo. All tools I dont use nearly enough lol
I really need to get in the habit of using 22 lol

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Previously posted a lab of this. Been trying this out on kl and it seems to work fairly consistently (when I'm not messing up inputs) the scenario and positioning will always be different, but as long as you stick with this sequence of moves, the timing/chance to get the freeze is almost perfect. Wish her b3 was faster though :/
I've been having some success using D3 instead of D1-DD3(amp). Cool setup.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
So how are people’s dealing with Sub-Zero in AA? Granted I’m sure Online has a lot to do with my irritation at times but last night i ran into a sub/Jax who overall wasn’t that great but maybe issue is they just sit there and slide or randomly jump. Usually when I’m trying to poke or dash block. That’s the most annoying part is when I make a read on a slide and hit the block button but still get hit.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
So how are people’s dealing with Sub-Zero in AA? Granted I’m sure Online has a lot to do with my irritation at times but last night i ran into a sub/Jax who overall wasn’t that great but maybe issue is they just sit there and slide or randomly jump. Usually when I’m trying to poke or dash block. That’s the most annoying part is when I make a read on a slide and hit the block button but still get hit.
People that play Sub Zero that way really just suck at footsies and just want to rely on 50/50s.
Ran into a Sub yesterday who played the way you described.

Here are the strategy patterns I noticed with many players like that:
  1. Full screen strategy: Ice ball & if that fails, advance to slide
  2. Midscreen: Jump in or B1 stagger
  3. Up close: 50/50
  4. They will stagger with a single low and then go into overhead or low again.
So to deal with the full range strat, arching projectile until they move up. Alternatively, when your dive turns into a slide, it low profiles their ice ball so I sometimes hop into dive. When they move up, if you block low preemptively, the Sub player will realize you are waiting for a slide,so they jump. You can respond with either projectiles or F2 or dive kick
For mid range: If they jump, just AA and if they do B1, they will often times just stagger it once, especially if at full range, so your D4 can stop them.
Up close, it's a guessing game but one good guess and you're golden. Or just poke after their low or high stagger (they really love the low stagger)

When you are in mid range, your auger launch works great against their B1 since it out-ranges it. So keeping that distance and constantly pummeling them with Augers will force them to either turtle (then you can move up and pressure) or they will jump (then you can AA)

That's my general rule of thumb for Sub players who play like this

Last edited:

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Sounds 100% like the dude yesterday. I implemented some of your suggestions already like with auger but these dudes are goin goin under it. I’m absolutely sure online Is affecting a lot of what I’m trying to block or do but it gets a little frustrating losing to trashy players with a half baked tactic when I attempt to practice online.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Sounds 100% like the dude yesterday. I implemented some of your suggestions already like with auger but these dudes are goin goin under it. I’m absolutely sure online Is affecting a lot of what I’m trying to block or do but it gets a little frustrating losing to trashy players with a half baked tactic when I attempt to practice online.
I hear you. I find these types of players are just waiting to press buttons so a bit of patients makes them inevitably slide into your block or jump into your D3/S1.
Its sad that players like this actually get far

Wigy

There it is...
Absolutely bananas.

I assume you can do more at the end.

I think having tonnes of ghetto setups like this to keep people on their toes is a good idea, nice stuff

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Am I tripping or did her dive kick get nerfed?
I seem to recall it being quite safe when she transitions into a slide (like -2) but now its -7

Wigy

There it is...
Am I tripping or did her dive kick get nerfed?
I seem to recall it being quite safe when she transitions into a slide (like -2) but now its -7
It depends on the spacing. I think it's always minus 5 if the slide initiates in the clear before hitting them.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
What is you guys' general strategy to dealing with Kotal?

My main issue is the command grab. You can't do shit but jump, which is a HUGE risk because if you guess wrong, the motherfucker happily removes over 30% of your health. I am at a loss as to how to deal with it.

Beyond the command grab, his crazy range combined with his damage and his damn pokes all give me trouble. (Although the command grab is the main issue

Wigy

There it is...
What is you guys' general strategy to dealing with Kotal?

My main issue is the command grab. You can't do shit but jump, which is a HUGE risk because if you guess wrong, the motherfucker happily removes over 30% of your health. I am at a loss as to how to deal with it.

Beyond the command grab, his crazy range combined with his damage and his damn pokes all give me trouble. (Although the command grab is the main issue
I abuse the fuck out of her dolphin dive. He cannot check you properly after at all. Use that with her zoning to lock down space.

Kotal is a sleeper good character now. F2 controls the pace of so many matchups now.

Also if he's using the disc mb on block try to flawless block where you can

Last edited:

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I actually don't like Arctic Anarchy against Sub. I prefer Ice Machine because you can punish random slides and overheads harder and counterzone with glacial calving when he just brainlessly throws out ice balls. I think overall AA is better than IM, but there are a few matchups like Sub, Kabal, and Noob where I just feel so much more comfortable in IM.

Side note: is it me or does literally every fucking Sub play the exact same? I think that character just kind of shoe-horns people into being scrubulent (a word I invented).

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I actually don't like Arctic Anarchy against Sub. I prefer Ice Machine because you can punish random slides and overheads harder and counterzone with glacial calving when he just brainlessly throws out ice balls. I think overall AA is better than IM, but there are a few matchups like Sub, Kabal, and Noob where I just feel so much more comfortable in IM.

Side note: is it me or does literally every fucking Sub play the exact same? I think that character just kind of shoe-horns people into being scrubulent (a word I invented).
Every fucking sub zero plays the same and every scorpion that uses the variation that cancels the teleport play the same too. Just staggers with the kick when close or just stay away teleport cancelling into grab or poke.

I honestly think both IM and AA work well against SZ. IM can counter zone but AA can dive slide under the ice ball.
As for Kabal, I feel you gain so much more space control with the augers since they reach further than B2. The decreased damage is a shame though but the pressure more than makes up for it IMO

Wigy

There it is...
Ice machine I use against the variation that doesn't have slide as shield can shut down his zoning a bit and he can't just on reaction slide all your zoning as he has the shitty shoulder barge thing instead.

Ice machine is better against jade and kabal as well I believe. Jades air presence makes the dolphin dive less useful and the shield in IM is pretty useful here. But I don't play many good jades, most matches they continually try glow and eat grenades then after about 70% of their HP gone just yolo shadowkick and pray lol.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Ice machine I use against the variation that doesn't have slide as shield can shut down his zoning a bit and he can't just on reaction slide all your zoning as he has the shitty shoulder barge thing instead.

Ice machine is better against jade and kabal as well I believe. Jades air presence makes the dolphin dive less useful and the shield in IM is pretty useful here. But I don't play many good jades, most matches they continually try glow and eat grenades then after about 70% of their HP gone just yolo shadowkick and pray lol.
Its funny how we have these stereotypes as to how ppl play these other characters (and I agree with them lol). It makes me wonder what ppl say about Frost players. "All they do is B2", little do they know the depth of knowledge one needs to play this character

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Hi all. Idk if this is the right thread but I'm trying to learn Arctic Anarchy. Any tips? Useful normals, jails, setups? I've been watching Mustard's guide on V3 and his very old guide on Ice machine to get myself started. Appreciate any help. Cheers

Darth Mao

Your Tech is Mine! #buffRaiden
Hi all. Idk if this is the right thread but I'm trying to learn Arctic Anarchy. Any tips? Useful normals, jails, setups? I've been watching Mustard's guide on V3 and his very old guide on Ice machine to get myself started. Appreciate any help. Cheers

All you need

haketh

Noob
Starting to like AA for Seeing Double & Joker. I was thinking Ice Machine was the best since I can turn hits into massive damage but not being able to control that two character space distance as well is Murder.