What's new

Frost Tournament Variation 3 discussion: ARCTIC ANARCHY

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Let's talk about Arctic Anarchy, which was discussed in today's Netherrealm stream.

It looks like Frost's specials are:
DB2 - Core Discharge
*BF4 - (Air) Icequake
*DD3 - Core Overload, but it looks like it will be different with the patch and will freeze you on hit. Reminds me of Warrior Predator. Maybe you can restart a Core Overload sequence after they're already frozen? Reset potential?

Now if I'm undestanding corectly, BF4 and DD3 are ability moves and take up 1 Ability slot each, so what is the 3rd ability? Did I maybe miss that in today's stream?

Wavy

Block Spammer
Let's talk about Arctic Anarchy, which was discussed in today's Netherrealm stream.

It looks like Frost's specials are:
DB2 - Core Discharge
*BF4 - (Air) Icequake
*DD3 - Core Overload, but it looks like it will be different with the patch and will freeze you on hit. Reminds me of Warrior Predator. Maybe you can restart a Core Overload sequence after they're already frozen? Reset potential?

Now if I'm undestanding corectly, BF4 and DD3 are ability moves and take up 1 Ability slot each, so what is the 3rd ability? Did I maybe miss that in today's stream?
Auger projectile. It's no longer tracking. Shoots straight now.

Xanne

Going Ghost
Wonder if they changed the way it works. The hitstun is so wonky the second amplified shot won’t combo sometimes based on distance I think.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I think this could be good, divekicks are good neutral tools and she has her normal zoning with DB2. Auger gives her combos from B12 and whatnot, while perhaps making her keepaway better. And overload is just a cool move with potential.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
The core discharge thing is cool but that timer is looooooooong, looks like we'll need pretty specific setups to use it effectively. And it hurts her! I wasn't overly impressed with the variation but obviously there's a lot to dig in to.

SinkFla

Noob
The core discharge thing is cool but that timer is looooooooong, looks like we'll need pretty specific setups to use it effectively. And it hurts her! I wasn't overly impressed with the variation but obviously there's a lot to dig in to.
It hurts her? Nooo

Does the activation only go away on hit? Like Blocking shouldn't interrupt it, right? Lol

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
It hurts her? Nooo

Does the activation only go away on hit? Like Blocking shouldn't interrupt it, right? Lol
Yeah in the Kombat Kast the practice mode info said it's a 7% mid on the opponent and a 3% UNBLOCKABLE on Frost. So I'm wondering if the opponent blocks it point blank if they get a free punish? Bodes very poorly for the utility of that move.

Stephanie said it goes away if she gets hit so I'm hoping with that long of a timer you're still allowed to block.

Overall the more I think about this variation the less I like it. A short range projectile, a divekick, and an all-around dubious looking tool. Like I said before it's too early to tell without testing stuff but right now I don't see this being more useful than Ice Machine.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Yeah in the Kombat Kast the practice mode info said it's a 7% mid on the opponent and a 3% UNBLOCKABLE on Frost. So I'm wondering if the opponent blocks it point blank if they get a free punish? Bodes very poorly for the utility of that move.

Stephanie said it goes away if she gets hit so I'm hoping with that long of a timer you're still allowed to block.

Overall the more I think about this variation the less I like it. A short range projectile, a divekick, and an all-around dubious looking tool. Like I said before it's too early to tell without testing stuff but right now I don't see this being more useful than Ice Machine.
Will probably work like Predator which, IIRC, was slightly plus on block.

Wigy

There it is...
Here's hoping the bf3 KB doesn't push them almost full screen still. As it stands it's only useable in the corner...

Wigy

There it is...
I mean if it doesn't go away on block it could be really good.

Matchups where the other character has to approach.

Mb buff for 84 damage grenades, then when they finally do get in the timer being long will be an advantage as they have to be wary of any attack on block getting full punished.

If you're in the corner and near the end of the bomb timer you can do MB bf3 of most strings and you have like a 400 damage combo or are plus, midscreen as long as you're grounded mb spin will do the same.

Christ if you time the bomb right her dolphin dive will net her a full combo, the fear of which can allow for completely free jump ins to initiate grab pressure with the end of the timer.

Can we all stop being doom and gloom folks.

Wigy

There it is...
This adds SO much depth to her Oki. I'm getting setup after setup idea here.

Her new corner bnb would be starter bf3mb 4db3 B12 spin.

You can switch the spin out for mb buff. Then go into a njp which will dodge most u3s. After the mb buff in that setup if you do a grab it will grab them out of rolling and meaty. They have to stay down wakeup or jump.

After you do MB buff and grab, literally any string after on Oki will now launch for a full combo. If they don't have meter to wakeup, they have to stay down to avoid a 50/50 between grab and meaty b12. Both full combos.

Dis gun be good for lab monsters

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
The chest explosion only freezes grabbed opponents right at the start of the grab, not throughout the whole animation :( kinda fair I guess tho, given how long her back throw animation is.