What's new

Frost General Discussion

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
1. What are you guys doing to punish moves that are really minus (like -12 or more) but have lots of pushback? It feels like Frost has a dead zone just outside of b1 range where I can’t punish anything. Stuff like Scorpion spear twirl and Fujin’s bullshit off b1 feels so hard to deter.
If Possible I go for F2 or projectiles. Typically these moves reset the neutral away and Frost isnt the only one who struggles against these kind of things. Sindel's pushback is particularly fucking annoying.

2. Do you guys have any KB’s you can reliably set up besides d2? It feels very difficult to set up a punish from her 19f b2 and most players I fight don’t even attempt to break throws.
If you have augers, then you can harrass with B2~Augers. I catch a lot of ppl on kounter with B2 because i walk in a bit, making them press a button and walk back to punish the whiff. B2 is actually one of her best whiff punishing strings I find

Stanlos

Noob
Is it okay to ask lore questions in this thread? I don't understand the whole cyber initiative thing. Like are Frost and the others like Robots or are the bio and robot together?

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
Is it okay to ask lore questions in this thread? I don't understand the whole cyber initiative thing. Like are Frost and the others like Robots or are the bio and robot together?
In the past i assumed they were machines with aspects of the former individual’s soul/thoughts programmed in. But in Frost’s 2nd fatality we see brains (and spines iirc?) being put in the shells. So idk. There might be older references to the cyberisation process I’m forgetting...

Frost might be an oddity as she was cyberised by Kronika.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Sometimes in the lore, the LK cyber ninjas are cyborgs, and at other times, they are just full-on robots. When they are in their robot-only forms, they still have "meat" when you do a fatality on them. It's just how MK is lol. In MK9 and all previous games, the cyber ninjas were all cyborgs. In MKX, Triborg is totally a robot. In MK11, Frost was turned into a cyborg by Kronika.

Stanlos

Noob
Oooooooooooooooooooo! I totally missed that Frost got done by Cronika!!! So since she is a Titan she can do wtf-ever she wants.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
My question is why isn't Frost in most people's top tiers and isn't winning tourneys? She seems to have no weaknesses and is really good, nay?

NappyNuisance

Irritatingly Noir
Oh snap I wasnt aware of those, what strings are there bad gaps?
It's really just her B2 string. And since it's her best string anyone who can blow the gap up can really tear her game apart. I'd say Frost would be stronger if they fixed her whiffing issues but the thing about Frost is she doesn't have something broke about her to abuse. Her zoning is strong but that can just get counter picked. And other characters just tend to have something about them that make them stronger from the same rangers. Noob is a huge pain with how much damage he gets, same with Baraka. And they both have tools to force Frost to play their game instead of having to deal with her pressure and spacing. She's good. Just not the best at anything really.

Frost is not amazing at anything indeed (except d3 antiair). And she CANNOT quickly act on anything in the mid-range. Closest she gets to greatness is spamming augers.

Tweedy played with Arctic Anarchy in the open series and Rezen played his funky Frost-Byte there a few times, but that's about it that I remember seeing over the last year.

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Hello there. I didn't see a match critique thread so I'll post this here. I play some Frost on the side and I ran into this pretty decent Geras player. Would love to get some general tips and feedback on how I'm doing so I can improve. Thanks in advance!

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Hello there. I didn't see a match critique thread so I'll post this here. I play some Frost on the side and I ran into this pretty decent Geras player. Would love to get some general tips and feedback on how I'm doing so I can improve. Thanks in advance!
I only watched the first fight but from it, here's what I notice:
  • You should be using d4 a lot more. Checking the opponent with it and throwing in some D4~Auger really catches a lot of people and allows you to keep em guessing whether they should take their turn back or not
  • Your combos arent optimal. Especially the variation you're using...it's got some serious damage
  • Your Oki pressure isnt optimal either because you used B2 a lot. While it's good at times to throw it in there, a regular auger is much more powerful since the person must respect it or get KBed (assuming you backed up at the correct distance
  • You staggered a lot with B2 also which isnt as good as a 22 stagger. Yes it's a mid, yes it will catch people sometimes but its a good idea to sometimes throw something they dont expect
Everyone has their style with Frost for sure. Personally, I like to constantly pressure when im at the optimal distance (~B2 distance) with my augers, my D4, my B2, my close grenades. I like to sometimes go for D4~projectile or ~spin if I feel they are going to be aggressive. Once you feel the opponent is more passive and blocks until you do something really negative or poke, then I like to switch it up with hop attacks, grabs, B3, S1 staggers.

Mandolore1123

I only watched the first fight but from it, here's what I notice:
  • You should be using d4 a lot more. Checking the opponent with it and throwing in some D4~Auger really catches a lot of people and allows you to keep em guessing whether they should take their turn back or not
  • Your combos arent optimal. Especially the variation you're using...it's got some serious damage
  • Your Oki pressure isnt optimal either because you used B2 a lot. While it's good at times to throw it in there, a regular auger is much more powerful since the person must respect it or get KBed (assuming you backed up at the correct distance
  • You staggered a lot with B2 also which isnt as good as a 22 stagger. Yes it's a mid, yes it will catch people sometimes but its a good idea to sometimes throw something they dont expect
Everyone has their style with Frost for sure. Personally, I like to constantly pressure when im at the optimal distance (~B2 distance) with my augers, my D4, my B2, my close grenades. I like to sometimes go for D4~projectile or ~spin if I feel they are going to be aggressive. Once you feel the opponent is more passive and blocks until you do something really negative or poke, then I like to switch it up with hop attacks, grabs, B3, S1 staggers.
Thanks for the feedback! I will try to use D4 a lot more, but what combos should I be using? Is it starter~micro burst AMP, JI2, B32D1, S1, micro dash S13~Spin? Because I was testing in the lab and that did less damage than starter~micro burst AMP, JI2, B32D1, JI3~dive bomb and it leaves them closer for oki and stuff. I know I also need to work on landing JI2s because I got punished for dropping combos a lot too.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Thanks for the feedback! I will try to use D4 a lot more, but what combos should I be using? Is it starter~micro burst AMP, JI2, B32D1, S1, micro dash S13~Spin? Because I was testing in the lab and that did less damage than starter~micro burst AMP, JI2, B32D1, JI3~dive bomb and it leaves them closer for oki and stuff. I know I also need to work on landing JI2s because I got punished for dropping combos a lot too.
Hmm you know what Im convinced I now like the Ji3~Dive bomb ender because of how close it keeps them the damage.
Technically, the optimal combo against male characters is Starter~DB4(amp) > J2 > B32D1 > 1 > B12~DF2 but at this point the differences are indeed negligible and the distance they land at when you end with the dive bomb is better.

Mandolore1123

Hmm you know what Im convinced I now like the Ji3~Dive bomb ender because of how close it keeps them the damage.
Technically, the optimal combo against male characters is Starter~DB4(amp) > J2 > B32D1 > 1 > B12~DF2 but at this point the differences are indeed negligible and the distance they land at when you end with the dive bomb is better.
Thanks for responding! I didn’t know about the male optimal haha. Is there anything else I need to be wary about? Maybe more specific MU-related stuff?

Last edited:

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Thanks for responding! I didn’t know about the male optimal haha. Is there anything else I need to be wary about? Maybe more specific MU-related stuff?
Honestly, I struggle against Geras also (specifically when he has the command grab because that shit catches me EVERY TIME)
He has a 50/50 with the sand trap that can be fuzzied so I would suggest practicing that by setting the AI to do each one randomly but beyond that, my approach against Geras is to try to keep him at my optimal distance with my augers, B2 and D4, anti-airs if he jumps, and keep him guessing

In your case (according to your video at least), you could have beat this geras player more consistently if you optimized your fundamentals with Frost. It's one of your side characters so its understandable but i think a bit more play with her and youd be well on your way to outplay a player like this.
If you are down, we can definitely play some games (we could meet in a krossplay room)

Mandolore1123

Honestly, I struggle against Geras also (specifically when he has the command grab because that shit catches me EVERY TIME)
He has a 50/50 with the sand trap that can be fuzzied so I would suggest practicing that by setting the AI to do each one randomly but beyond that, my approach against Geras is to try to keep him at my optimal distance with my augers, B2 and D4, anti-airs if he jumps, and keep him guessing

In your case (according to your video at least), you could have beat this geras player more consistently if you optimized your fundamentals with Frost. It's one of your side characters so its understandable but i think a bit more play with her and youd be well on your way to outplay a player like this.
If you are down, we can definitely play some games (we could meet in a krossplay room)
Yeah I definitely would have won more if I was more on point with Frost. I was going to switch to my main but he left so oh well. As for playing tgt, are you from US? I'm from Hong Kong so idk if the ping will hold up... :(

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Yeah I definitely would have won more if I was more on point with Frost. I was going to switch to my main but he left so oh well. As for playing tgt, are you from US? I'm from Hong Kong so idk if the ping will hold up... :(
Im in Canada but who knows. I play against a friend in Scotland and it runs smooth so we can try. Maybe the gods of the internet will bless us lol

But yea with Frost I like to be aggressive (personal style). He was relatively passive as a player so I can imagine if you were constantly shooting shit at him, he would get overwhelmed and press a button out of turn. Also if you get him (most characters really) in the corner, then you can overwhelm him with repeated augers, D4~Auger (sometimes amp, sometimes not), B2~Auger, 22, 43, 132/4. 13 on oki in the corner is deadly (which you did a few times and it would fuck him up). He also had a tendency to take his turn back when you staggered B22 so when I notice a player do that, I like to do B22~Augers(amp) or B22~Spin.
Some players flawless block the B22 string and so when you notice that, you can discourage that by doing B2~close bomb which catches them since they let go of block to flawless block the second hit of the string.

Man I love frost shes so fun lol

Mandolore1123

Im in Canada but who knows. I play against a friend in Scotland and it runs smooth so we can try. Maybe the gods of the internet will bless us lol

But yea with Frost I like to be aggressive (personal style). He was relatively passive as a player so I can imagine if you were constantly shooting shit at him, he would get overwhelmed and press a button out of turn. Also if you get him (most characters really) in the corner, then you can overwhelm him with repeated augers, D4~Auger (sometimes amp, sometimes not), B2~Auger, 22, 43, 132/4. 13 on oki in the corner is deadly (which you did a few times and it would fuck him up). He also had a tendency to take his turn back when you staggered B22 so when I notice a player do that, I like to do B22~Augers(amp) or B22~Spin.
Some players flawless block the B22 string and so when you notice that, you can discourage that by doing B2~close bomb which catches them since they let go of block to flawless block the second hit of the string.

Man I love frost shes so fun lol
Yeah sure we can try. I was all along pretty scared he'd start doing sand trap but I should have picked up on him not really doing it a lot. He also liked to mash a lot after his D1 on block and I should have capitalised more on that (though I blame my combo execution more). My PSN is Mandolore1123 so you can add me if you like. I'm usually on only on Friday nights/Saturdays since I don't live at home right now and I don't have access to the game. You can add me on Discord too if you want to reach me more conveniently :D

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
Yeah sure we can try. I was all along pretty scared he'd start doing sand trap but I should have picked up on him not really doing it a lot. He also liked to mash a lot after his D1 on block and I should have capitalised more on that (though I blame my combo execution more). My PSN is Mandolore1123 so you can add me if you like. I'm usually on only on Friday nights/Saturdays since I don't live at home right now and I don't have access to the game. You can add me on Discord too if you want to reach me more conveniently :D
I’m more of a cryogenic-crown main/edgelord (and don’t play much tbh) but iirc the air dash discourages sand trap. KB notwithstanding, the risk/reward always seemed in Frost’s favour.

Mandolore1123

I’m more of a cryogenic-crown main/edgelord (and don’t play much tbh) but iirc the air dash discourages sand trap. KB notwithstanding, the risk/reward always seemed in Frost’s favour.
Ah fair enough. This is the first time I actually used custom Frost against online randoms so I'm not very familiar with her MUs at all haha. Thanks for the clarification