What's new

Frost General Discussion

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
See this is the arguement I needed with Augers. I've got so used to using bladespin on block just to be safe, I really never knew Augers gave Frost actual pressure I thought the neutral was pretty much the same. Your charts are dope
Haha thanks!
Yea her auger pressure is annoying as fuck for most of the cast. Especially in the corner, where you can do things like B2~Augers at full distance and followit up with amplified augers. If they try to jump after the first string, the amplified augers catch them and you get another combo. If they try to press a button they get hit. They really have no choice but to block. (Of course some characters can get out but Im talking about most of them not being able to)
(I added you, we should play and try different stuff out to flush out the character :D)

NappyNuisance

Irritatingly Noir
Haha thanks!
Yea her auger pressure is annoying as fuck for most of the cast. Especially in the corner, where you can do things like B2~Augers at full distance and followit up with amplified augers. If they try to jump after the first string, the amplified augers catch them and you get another combo. If they try to press a button they get hit. They really have no choice but to block. (Of course some characters can get out but Im talking about most of them not being able to)
(I added you, we should play and try different stuff out to flush out the character :D)
Yeah I gotchu tomorrow bro I definitely been playing Frost a lot and got a real good understanding of her spacing and pressure. When I really feel I got the read I even use her 43 to AA sometimes lol

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Until you have faster projectiles, downwards air projectiles, or teleport, then Frost is fucked
Yea, frost has variations to deal with those things too. Each special move will have opponents that get fucked by it and others that wont care.

NappyNuisance

Irritatingly Noir
So any one has some armor breaking set up?
There's no realy guaranteed setup for her armor break honestly. She actually has on eof the few armor breaks that's a special you can cancel into mid combo in a lot of different moments to try to catch them using breakaway. But yeah as far as setups go nothing concrete that I know of at least.

On microburst + headbomb unbreakables: after any string xx microburst, you can backdash headbomb j2 d2. 270-300 unbreakable dmg depending on string, +28 advantage, keeps them close to you.

I got tired of the other unbreakable, microburst headbomb 43 spin, being so particular about its timing for it to not throw them to the other side of the screen.

Last edited:

NappyNuisance

Irritatingly Noir
On microburst + headbomb unbreakables: after any string xx microburst, you can backdash headbomb j2 d2. 270-300 unbreakable dmg depending on string, +28 advantage, keeps them close to you.

I got tired of the other unbreakable, microburst headbomb 43 spin, being so particular about its timing for it to not throw them to the other side of the screen.
How does that work out for you in alot of matchups? I honestly don't like cryo crown at all cause it replaces her core discharge move. I think discharge saves her ass in pretty much any matchup against a zoner. I haven't really labbed cryo crown setups So I'm not sure how easy they are to do and in how many situations you can really use them.

It's like a worse Sub iceball when it comes to projectile trading. I need someone with more Frost-Byte experience to comment on this.

But yes, its biggest negative is replacing the grenade. Just NRS being extra spiteful about who gets to not have to replace moves.

Last edited:

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
Headbomb+microburst is my main build, and imho, is really strong when it gets running, and is the best fun in the game. Setups are dope and corner game is mad scary. It also brings a little execution which I like.

It does however, as mentioned, struggle against some zoning mus - particularly against zoners with good recovery or air specials that ignore headbomb - as has always been the case.

Heavy stagger/pressure can actually be a struggle too. Going for bomb/auger is probably better here, but you lose damage and her best setups and resets.

That said, even in (most of) her harder mus, I think this build can hang, just gotta be even more patient/smart to get her game going.

Notable mus I switch build for are
Cetrion (dive+auger+shield/lunge, but nothing’s ideal here)
Jade with glow/air-glaive (I just use v2 as it mops)
Sub-Zero with mb iceball (I like having shield, not sure what other’s takes are here)
Maybe Shang and Sonya, need more xp

I think that’s pretty much it, give or take

As I say, imho.... imma scrub.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6

What is the reason for doing this instead of ending in 344 xx Microburst?

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
If NRS were to release a big balance patch for UMK11, do you guys think any of her two-slot moves should become 1 slot instead? Personally, I don't think it would break her or anything, and would like to have more build variety with more one-slot moves, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Burrowing Auger could come down to one slot., but only because it’s use is very specific right now. Give it multiple ranges and I could see it being worth two. Cryogenic Crown is never going to one slot lol.

Wigy

There it is...
How would you change it?
less recovery frames.

OR

for any special that has multiple projectiles it absorbs all of them- cassies gun, mileenas sais etc. This wouldnt absorb the MB, just the original projectile(s)

this would be good on rain too.

as it stands its never worth using that bar.

this would take it from absolutely uselessness to pretty useful in the matchups where thats an issue.

How would you change it?
Make it advance in front of you: if you go slow, it goes slow, if you go fast, it goes fast. Make it absorb a limitless number of projectiles. Make it recover faster.

And it still wouldn't be picked. So we need to go further: make it freeze people on contact - maybe not instantly, but it's still there.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Having two problems I want to ask about.

1. What are you guys doing to punish moves that are really minus (like -12 or more) but have lots of pushback? It feels like Frost has a dead zone just outside of b1 range where I can’t punish anything. Stuff like Scorpion spear twirl and Fujin’s bullshit off b1 feels so hard to deter.

2. Do you guys have any KB’s you can reliably set up besides d2? It feels very difficult to set up a punish from her 19f b2 and most players I fight don’t even attempt to break throws.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
How would you change it?
At the bare minimum meterless would need to absorb two hits, amped 4 hits, and less recovery on both. Even then I’d almost never pick it over the usual suspects. Some more creative solutions I’d like to see:

1. Give her a KB on something based on absorbing x amounts of hits like Rain rift

2. Make the amped version reflect projectiles back

3. Make is so the move is a projection from her chest instead of free moving. It’s “follows” her but can’t defend against some of the air or arcing projectiles.

Crazy idea that will never happen: give this move some kind of crazy synergy with core overload. Using shield with core overload active gives it a hitbox or turns it into a teleport lol.

1. What are you guys doing to punish moves that are really minus (like -12 or more) but have lots of pushback? It feels like Frost has a dead zone just outside of b1 range where I can’t punish anything. Stuff like Scorpion spear twirl and Fujin’s bullshit off b1 feels so hard to deter.
Frost's lack of that mid range is frustrating. If dash b12 (or auger lunge vs death spin in particular) doesn't work, you do nothing.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Venting: If I’m gonna continue risking jump in combos everytime I throw out b2 can it at least jail into Auger from max range so we have a decent way of setting up the KB?

Other question: You guys might know already but has anyone noticed how hard b1 scales damage? Normal damage scaling appears to be about 5% per hit, but anything done after b1 will scale 15% and it seems to really kill damage. You can easily see the difference doing b1 xx Auger and 4 xx Auger....101 vs 107. If you amp it it’s 141 vs 155.

I assume this is because of the micro pop-up it causes?