What's new

Frost General Discussion

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
I feel like nrs was trying to make sure that lab monsters like me wouldnt find any broken setups with ice bomb like in years past with cyrax and csz. So much so that the move is neutered. I think that its really good if you want to press your opponent with f2 as they are forced to block. That's one of the few situations where its good, which cant really be forced either.
I feel like frost-byte’s already a fairly effective scrub killer, and yeah NRS is definitely worried about set-up/trap moves in 11. Then I look at vora’s strepsiptera and I’m like, but...?

I try to main her, but I’ve been straying to ice machine...

Wigy

There it is...
Anyone else notice everyone yolo jumps after you hit them with a d4 unless you're in their face? Like every time.

Given up trying to press the b22. Just walk back and d3 antiair or do d4 db3b.

In general unless you're in range to somewhat meaty b12 people jump all over the place. Gotta hit people with so many grenades.

Just annoying. Her air control with normals is trash

Last edited:

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Anyone else notice everyone yolo jumps after you hit them with a d4 unless you're in their face? Like every time.

Given up trying to press the b22. Just walk back and d3 antiair or do d4 db3b.

In general unless you're in range to somewhat meaty b12 people jump all over the place. Gotta hit people with so many grenades.

Just annoying. Her air control with normals is trash
Yeah depending on the range I repeat d4 until they respect it and block. Then i go back into neutral. When trying to meaty someone or make them regret jumping I go with b12. B22 is a string that just gives someone bonus damage for jumping around and accidentally dodging it

Wigy

There it is...
Yeah depending on the range I repeat d4 until they respect it and block. Then i go back into neutral. When trying to meaty someone or make them regret jumping I go with b12. B22 is a string that just gives someone bonus damage for jumping around and accidentally dodging it
Yeah I've really dialed down my usage of b2.

Back to back d4s?

Are you microdashing between? That seems like you will get jumped after the first and eat at least a blocked jump in.

D4 close grenade or d4 into walk back antiair.

D4 microdash B12 can also work.

It's primarily an issue with characters that can jump back and whiff punish any attempted followup.

Her d4 has a long delay before the frames where you can do something and a late special cancel.

I do d4 drill a lot lol. Catches so many people.

Very useful for some things but garbage against jumps.

It's more just like why does everyone disrespect her d4 so often, surely folks don't have any enough matchup experience to all have this annoying habit.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Yeah I've really dialed down my usage of b2.

Back to back d4s?

Are you microdashing between? That seems like you will get jumped after the first and eat at least a blocked jump in.

D4 close grenade or d4 into walk back antiair.

D4 microdash B12 can also work.

It's primarily an issue with characters that can jump back and whiff punish any attempted followup.

Her d4 has a long delay before the frames where you can do something and a late special cancel.

Very useful for some things but garbage against jumps.
Yes micro dash in between. There is enough advantage on hit where you can dash in and do it again.

Wigy

There it is...
Yes micro dash in between. There is enough advantage on hit where you can dash in and do it again.
Does that not depend on the range? That's the pain with it. Just having to check with another poke so people don't just yolo when you're not in b1 range.

D1 not jailing into s1, is this a known issue? Because I am losing my patience with this broken nrs mess. Frost is such a fun character, I even prefer the new more offensive Kitana but oh boy, are they broken...

Wigy

There it is...
D1 not jailing into s1, is this a known issue? Because I am losing my patience with this broken nrs mess. Frost is such a fun character, I even prefer the new more offensive Kitana but oh boy, are they broken...
It does jail.

When? Am i doing something wrong,specifically with Frost? +15 jails into anything but I could not hit a crouching Skarlet, even d3 into s3 worked.
Only happening to me with Frost tbh, so excuse me if i sound like a beginner. Just picked her up recently.

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
When? Am i doing something wrong,specifically with Frost? +15 jails into anything but I could not hit a crouching Skarlet, even d3 into s3 worked.
Only happening to me with Frost tbh, so excuse me if i sound like a beginner. Just picked her up recently.

I think some characters have a derpy hitstun hitbox. I'm sure you can jail it midscreen against a bunch of the cast.

Against some cast members you need to slightly delay the s1. I think the beginning of the d1 hitstun puts people in a low or leaning back state. If you set to crouch block d1 microdelay s1 it will hit everyone.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now

Because the move is the fastest out of all her normals, and has a slightly higher vertical hitbox, its reaching the space where the head would normally be before sub zeros head actually gets there. If you wait a moment and then do it, you'll for sure jail

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Thank you guys, now it works perfectly, guess i just have to complain and make myself look like an idiot before something can work, rip
No worries man . if you have any questions like that feel free to post them here. That's what this section is for.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
What are your guys' experience/opinions on fighting Kano? Every time I come across one in KL, they play like some kind of crack fiend that is somehow drunkingly able to beat out or outright punish anything Frost tries to do.

Another MU I seem to struggle with a lot is Jacqui (Especially when they consistently amp their tech throws and are good at it).

Cassie is another major grind- Would rather just play Baraka or Kabal in that MU.

Wigy

There it is...
What are your guys' experience/opinions on fighting Kano? Every time I come across one in KL, they play like some kind of crack fiend that is somehow drunkingly able to beat out or outright punish anything Frost tries to do.

Another MU I seem to struggle with a lot is Jacqui (Especially when they consistently amp their tech throws and are good at it).

Cassie is another major grind- Would rather just play Baraka or Kabal in that MU.
Kano actually beats frost somehow. Unexpected but the air ball and forward roll shut down Frost's zoning badly.

Cassie, use shield to take a low shit and response with a grenade to hit her as she's coming back up.

It's specific timing but doable. Also mb shield into drill can work to keep them on their toes with low gun spam.

Wigy

There it is...
Can someone Guide me through the kabal matchup? I feel like I should be doing better vs him upclose
Shut down air approach with close grenades and mix in bf3 to catch nomad dashes. Any spin landed midscreen put a shield up for free zoning, a lot of kabals instinctively spin after they see a shield.

D4 challenges his b1 very well.

Any of his staggers you can walk back and whiff punish him with b22 trying to walk back and whiff punish you're pokes after f22 staggers etc.

In footsie heavy matchups you want to do a lot of Max range b2 into bf3, at that range it's annoying as the meterburn is a slight stagger that creates delay in reaction which lets you utilise the space.

Given how good kabal is frost actually seems to fair well against him.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Can someone Guide me through the kabal matchup? I feel like I should be doing better vs him upclose
Kabal is a straight up fucking asshole. I honestly think hes top 5 if not top 3.
All his strings are safe, including his 50/50 and none have gaps to flawless block.

The whole thing with him is to have him whiff and then punish him. It's a really patient game.
When he starts zoning, because of course he has amazing zoning, you shouldnt abuse the shield too much because he can do his dash and catch you. Use the grenades, which have a very good recovery. Use the grenades if he jumps to throw his projectile too.

Also, general rule of thumb, a Kabal player with a FB available and that is full screen will wait for you to do a projectile and catch you with the FB. They all do it.

Wigy

There it is...
So, to elaborate on the 223 ender midscreen.

B32d1 dash 223 (hit high as it can)

Then half dash into 344.

It hits meaty just as the wakeup is finishing and will avoid their wakeups if they aren't super long range. The 44 portion will flat out avoid a lot of shit.

Once they see it, you can just do s3 and you recover in time to antiair them, punish a roll
forward or their wakeup

matchup specific but if they have a stubbyish u3 wakeup this is a good Oki option.

the other option I've already mentioned is just a jump in. The ender allows a perfectly timed meaty jump in, cannot be antiaired only wakeup will beat it.

Probably this question has appeared here already, i haven't found this.

How to cancel b22 into a special correctly? It's really annoying - when I lab it - everything's cool, when I play online - usually i cannot cancel it without any idea why. Where should I pay attention to on inputting and canceling this string?

Sorry for the too nooby question

Probably this question has appeared here already, i haven't found this.

How to cancel b22 into a special correctly? It's really annoying - when I lab it - everything's cool, when I play online - usually i cannot cancel it without any idea why. Where should I pay attention to on inputting and canceling this string?

Sorry for the too nooby question
Do you have release check off? Sometimes it resets after a patch.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now

Kano is one of those matchups where everything looks safe if you havent labbed it out. He puts himself into some shitty situations and as frost you really have to be able to identify those. If not he'll steam roll you with goofy moves that look safe but aren't and then zone you out with a life lead.

Jacqui is one of the matchups where like the noob matchup, d4 is essential. D4 against Jacqui is a button that gives her hella problems as she has no real way to contest its range outside of anticipating it close range with a jump in. Keep her mid to full screen and torture her with d4 and projectiles. Dont be afraid to contest her up close with s13 either. She has to come to you in this matchup.

Cassie is mainly rough online. Offline it feels like a pretty boring match but you dont have to second guess every combo you do because of delay. Also you can properly bait her forward advancing mid attempts. Cassie more than likely has an advantage over frost but I cant say what it is.

As I'm figuring out most matchups in the game require you to know the ins and outs of the other characters and flawless blocking options.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Yeah add Cassie to the list of characters I'm having trouble with. Played a good set with a Digital Soldier player who did a good job of staying right outside my b2 range and bullied me with low gunshots...she ducks under cryostance and db2 when she does that move. I could get the upper hand if I walked her into the corner and then got some pressure going but my mental energy was just totally expended after like 7 games lol

Kano I don't have an issue with but also I've never played a really good one. Online dipshit Kanos reliably just hang themselves if you let them.

Kabal I don't have too much of an issue either. He's really good but he can't get his air projectile game going if you put bombs in the air where he wants to jump, and her normals are rangy enough to contest his. Also she outdamages him.