What's new

[FROM EVO STAFF] EVO 2016 PLAYER SWAP LIST

Nobody wants to fly across the world (without sponsorship) to be placed up against someone who should never have been seeded in their spot to begin with, because he doesn't want to face his team mates in pools.

If I'm dropping 3-5k on a trip to Vegas, I shouldn't be forced to have my spot stolen in my pool or have my match set against Sonicfox because "I'm not a top player and he is, and he decided not to fight his friend so here's the shaft. Thanks for paying, thanks for playing.". If the killers are going to make it to top 8, then they can grind through whatever match-up they have to grind through to get there. If them having to fight a certain individual means they aren't going to make it, then good. They didn't deserve that spot because they clearly weren't in the top 8 of players attending. If YOMI | A and YOMI | B can't make top 8 because they have to fight eachother, then they don't belong in top 8. Plain and simple.

You want to give the viewers a good show? Give them players who have earned their spot, not players who have chosen them. This is EVO dammit, the biggest tournament of the world. Everyone comes here to win. If they aren't prepared to fight to the last pixel and speck of meter, then they won't progress. The same goes for every single individual. Seeding is fine, it's taken care of, but that's as far as it should go imo. A good player doesn't need to swap, he will cut down everyone, and I do mean everyone, if he wants that money. If his friend doesn't make it, then that's a crying shame, but if YOMI | A isn't willing to cut down YOMI | B, or feels that because they play a lot at locals they shouldn't fight, then Yomi | A isn't concerned with winning, he is simply concerned with not losing.

When you have a top 16 or top 32 full of people who are simply concerned with not losing, then the matches become stale. Have we really become so tame, so sated, that we no longer hunger for victory? Do we no longer feel like it's worth it to fight someone strong? I remember at one point, Atlanta was the hungriest place. They came into the tournament grizzled and starving for placement, and it showed in their matches. That tournament was the most hype one to watch when Atlanta was on stage or on stream because they played like people who actually came there to do more than just exist in bracket spots until they moved up. Every single player played like they deserved to be there, every single one played like the top 8 was a prey to hunt. Even the worst of them, even the best of them, they all fought with that same fire. They all fought to win, and solely to win, and I don't doubt if another ATL player got in their way they would go for the throats to get through.

Atlanta was the best in that tournament because they were more concerned with earning top 8 than they were swapping to have an easy time in pools. Now THAT was a tournament worth watching. No one knew who top 8 would be, the pools were full of upsets and hype, it was just the pinnacle of potential for the community in terms of providing an experience for both viewers and players.

Now look at us. Crawling over others just to get to the shallow ends of the pool. For having the most brutal and bloody game, we sure don't have the community to match :/ Or at least, not anymore.

My point still stands.

Anyways, my rant is over. Just don't ship me into an earlier bracket and get me DQ'd and I could care less.
Can I save this post...?

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Can't we all just come together as a community and use this to force Fox and Dragon and Foxy and every other Alien or Mileena or whoever else we're sick of seeing in our top 8's to take eachother out in pools?

I mean, no offense to them over the obvious skill gap but that also means we don't need to make it any easier for them than it already is. Frankly, NRS games haven't been hype on the grandest stage of 'em all since DJT and REO faced off in MK9.

#MakeMKGreatAgain!

lemme make this clear, I dnt mind being in a pool with Dragon and forever king Jr, a tough pool has never made me go on Twitter and whine and what not. I think spectators want the best out of pool matches but it ain't my call on the pools anyways. If ppl what want me not to play Dragon second round then cool, but I ain't asking for that either, just want to make this clear.
I am not going into this evo with a bunch of pressure or anything, going to give it my all and enjoy the biggest event of the year in my hometown :), and if I get bodied then I will support the yomi boyz and etc.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
If a "scrub" makes it to top 8, they deserve to be there because at some point they would've had to beat about 3 or 4 top players and top 8 contenders to get there. So no, your logic is faulty on this one.

Plus I'd rather have a scrub in top 8 than the same line-up of 4 mileenas, 3 aliens, and one odd-ball character.
I was joking. But, without seeding there is also a possibility for a less experienced player to make top 8 and get beat up badly, which actually happened on some ocasions.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I was joking. But, without seeding there is also a possibility for a less experienced player to make top 8 and get beat up badly, which actually happened on some ocasions.
Seeding isn't the issue at hand. No one has a problem with seeding, it's about being able to pick and choose who you have to fight. Also good for that scrub if he made top 8, as I said he would have to walk through top 32 and top 16 which has strong players in it regardless. Jokes or not, if someone made it that far and was a scrub? Holy shit the hype lol.

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO
The brackets were updated again yesterday.

I see a lot of people who send me stuff on Twitter to try and make sure every pool has more or less one killer. If no one else submits anything I might just go ahead and submit my own swap list for y'all to look at to tell me if it seems fair to everyone.

Let me know.

Kitana Prime

Top-tier at everything but the characters I choose
Moving Big D or Scar and also MIT or Dragon but keeping them in the same block path are the only swaps necessary

Nothing else. Maybe entertain the 2 Brex--ehh...EU players on the same side of the bracket ordeal, but that's it.

All these other suggestions are unwarranted and unnecessary

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
Nobody wants to fly across the world (without sponsorship) to be placed up against someone who should never have been seeded in their spot to begin with, because he doesn't want to face his team mates in pools.

If I'm dropping 3-5k on a trip to Vegas, I shouldn't be forced to have my spot stolen in my pool or have my match set against Sonicfox because "I'm not a top player and he is, and he decided not to fight his friend so here's the shaft. Thanks for paying, thanks for playing.". If the killers are going to make it to top 8, then they can grind through whatever match-up they have to grind through to get there. If them having to fight a certain individual means they aren't going to make it, then good. They didn't deserve that spot because they clearly weren't in the top 8 of players attending. If YOMI | A and YOMI | B can't make top 8 because they have to fight eachother, then they don't belong in top 8. Plain and simple.

You want to give the viewers a good show? Give them players who have earned their spot, not players who have chosen them. This is EVO dammit, the biggest tournament of the world. Everyone comes here to win. If they aren't prepared to fight to the last pixel and speck of meter, then they won't progress. The same goes for every single individual. Seeding is fine, it's taken care of, but that's as far as it should go imo. A good player doesn't need to swap, he will cut down everyone, and I do mean everyone, if he wants that money. If his friend doesn't make it, then that's a crying shame, but if YOMI | A isn't willing to cut down YOMI | B, or feels that because they play a lot at locals they shouldn't fight, then Yomi | A isn't concerned with winning, he is simply concerned with not losing.

When you have a top 16 or top 32 full of people who are simply concerned with not losing, then the matches become stale. Have we really become so tame, so sated, that we no longer hunger for victory? Do we no longer feel like it's worth it to fight someone strong? I remember at one point, Atlanta was the hungriest place. They came into the tournament grizzled and starving for placement, and it showed in their matches. That tournament was the most hype one to watch when Atlanta was on stage or on stream because they played like people who actually came there to do more than just exist in bracket spots until they moved up. Every single player played like they deserved to be there, every single one played like the top 8 was a prey to hunt. Even the worst of them, even the best of them, they all fought with that same fire. They all fought to win, and solely to win, and I don't doubt if another ATL player got in their way they would go for the throats to get through.

Atlanta was the best in that tournament because they were more concerned with earning top 8 than they were swapping to have an easy time in pools. Now THAT was a tournament worth watching. No one knew who top 8 would be, the pools were full of upsets and hype, it was just the pinnacle of potential for the community in terms of providing an experience for both viewers and players.

Now look at us. Crawling over others just to get to the shallow ends of the pool. For having the most brutal and bloody game, we sure don't have the community to match :/ Or at least, not anymore.

My point still stands.

Anyways, my rant is over. Just don't ship me into an earlier bracket and get me DQ'd and I could care less.
This actually got me kind of hype tbh

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO
I don't know why you were horrified. We moved some teammates who were in the same pool away from each other, we separated a couple of regional malfunctions, and I don't think there's a pool anymore with two people who have placed fairly highly in an event (as far as I know). That's what seeding's supposed to take care of, yeah?

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
Not to repeat everything that's already been said, but: Fixing region issues is fine. But seeding is for seeding (especially when a good effort was made to have reasonable seeds) and doing swaps after that smells like bracket-rigging.

Edit: Which is to say it sounds like everything ended up well, but opening up this sort of thing to TYM I don't always expect to turn out like that.

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO
Not to repeat everything that's already been said, but: Fixing region issues is fine. But seeding is for seeding (especially when a good effort was made to have reasonable seeds) and doing swaps after that smells like bracket-rigging.

Edit: Which is to say it sounds like everything ended up well, but opening up this sort of thing to TYM I don't always expect to turn out like that.
I think you need to have a little more faith in your fellow community members! They provided a lot of really good input, and a lot of those people have the same concerns you did (ensuring that swaps only primarily corrected regional issues and "overly-stacked brackets"). We only made six changes.

We're all pretty happy with how the process turned out thanks to the input of the MKXL community. :)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think you need to have a little more faith in your fellow community members! They provided a lot of really good input, and a lot of those people have the same concerns you did (ensuring that swaps only primarily corrected regional issues and "overly-stacked brackets"). We only made six changes.

We're all pretty happy with how the process turned out thanks to the input of the MKXL community. :)
Thanks for reaching out to us again. I think some of the issues stemmed from the wording:

If you, as a community, think a couple of swaps would make for more interesting brackets or you want to separate something like two players you consider strong away from each other, then swap that player away.
This should never happen in a competitive sport. Everything should be done by the rules and numbers. People playing in a tournament should never be able to suggest moving each other around just to make things "more interesting" or because they think someone is "strong".

Always facts, math, and never opinions, especially coming from people who have a stake in the tournament.

With that said, you guys have done a great job, so I wouldn't view these comments as a critique of the actual brackets themselves. I think people just want to make sure the door isn't open for players and fans to suggest changes to a competition bracket because of what they personally feel is interesting, or who they feel is good.

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO
Some communities legitimately want more interesting brackets. That's them. If you guys don't want that, you want brackets as raw as possible but only to fix something -- then we empower you to do it.

Makes my life SUPER easy when you just take the brackets as they are, though. That's why I like talking to y'all, because 99.9% of the time it's just "when can I start hitting people with my sick Demo Sonya electric grenade loops" and I'm all for that instead of having to swap like hella people.

See you all on Thursday/Friday? :D

Aramonde

Noob
@Doombawkz @Icy Black Deep pretty much summed up my feelings about this. Imagine if all teams in the NBA could get together and swap certain teams around so the big market teams didn't knock each other out early. That fact this happens at all with EVO worries me.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
@nothingxs A few thoughts:

There's 4 Canadians in pool K303 lol. I'm assuming they're all from different regions of Canada? It just seemed like something that might be spread out in some of the pools with no Canadians like L303/M308/M309.

And there are still two UK players in pool K306, that could probably be addressed.

Thanks for taking feedback!

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO
We're past the date for swaps but I'll see if I can't at least move two of the Canadian players out so it's better set by region. That said, I don't think they're all from near each other.