What's new

FR IGAU Staff Blow up

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Now before I start this about my FR experience let me say this.

It's gonna be long. TLDR; move along downplay & theory threads need you. But if you give a shit about the community off-line scene read.

THIS IS IN NO WAY A DIG AT THE FINAL ROUND TO'S THAT ORGANIZE AND PROMOTE THE EVENT. JUST THOSE RESPONSIBLE FOR INJUSTICE ONLY.

I understand there may be some factors of "You just don't know" here. But I challenge someone to tell me where I'm wrong for opening this up.

If you are "top player" or "community leader" speak up and stop this off-line behind closed door bullshit. Tell it like it is. I am and I'm done being quiet. If you're a jackass anywhere I go I'll blow you up.

I met all of the people I'm talking about here. They're all genuinly nice and likable people. But that doesn't mean they are faultless nor ir-responsible for their actions. This is not personal, but there is no way to do it without naming names.

Pig you said to a large group that no one has the balls to say something. I love ya but your'e wrong.

This is just from my perspective, and I know there are more pieces to the puzzle, hence the you just don't know. Plus there is a lot going on at these events to catch it all. There were many well known community members who will vouch for this and trust me, the blow ups are coming via pod-cast and maybe more.

Now to start off I'm sure several of you heard many a tale about the pools leading up to this event. Well it got even more confusing at the door Saturday morning. We all learned that our pools would now be condensed from 16 pools down to 8. This matters little to me. Sure there is all the moaning about "there's 3 top 8 placers in my pool," but LBSH. This is a major, put on your big boy pants and play what you got. I'm a mediocure at best player, I have to fight for my life in every match. Why is anyone else any different. Anyway moving on to the main point. Nobody knew who or why the call was made! Now who was our point of contact(s) wearing the white FR17 shirts. That would be Darth Arma and Frantastic, which will be featured in a large portion of this.

So WTF!? How does no one know how this happened? Nobody wanted to own up to it. So this leads those of us not "in the know" to believe that something is being hidden or someone is afraid to come out and own up to it. It was speculated to me by numerous "knowns" that the latter was the case. If the TO's make a decision, that's fine. But when you're the POC (point of contact) for our game it's your duty to inform on the status of it. So either you had no idea what was taking place or did a terrible job of communicating it. Speaking of communicating, why was our game the ONLY one at the venue that I saw (I went to the other rooms, I knew people playing in there) without a mic or bullhorn to make announcements?

Anyway I wasn't too worried about the pools, but I thought I would throw that out there as that was the vibe. So moving on we started an hourish late, an FGC hallmark, with pool 1 ( originaly pools 1&2) with a bit of confusion because of the pool change's. I was in pool 4 originaly, now 2, catching on?

Now for this Tourney we had 7 set ups and 1 stream set up. At the beginning of the tourney 2 were casual and the rest were pools. This lasted for all of pool 1 and then went to shit. Somewhere in the transition of pools the pool 2 sheet was passed off to DMS. Fran still had the sheet for pool 1 and I asked him if he was good or needed a hand after my game since things seemed meh at best. I would have been happy to do the equivelent of hearding cats to help out. He told me no and seemed baffled that I would ask. I'm sure he would deny this ever happening, but I get that when you have a 1000 things going on at once and I'm not known per say. DMS ended up behind the stream staion and Fran told me that's who I should go to, so I did. Now I am not digging on DMS at all! and I'll talk more about that later. I played my game, lost and then found out who my next opponent was. I then watched that match, played the loser, and lost :( So GG's it is what it is, now it's time to spectate. What I witnessed in the next 4 hours was appaling.

Now that I was able to look around and see where the tourney was at I noticed that Fran was gone, no where to be found. DMS was running the show (as in the whole fucking tourney) from behind the stream station. As I walked around and mingled I realized that the only set up being used for pool play was the stream station! I then take another gander and notice that Arma is playing casuals. Wait aren't you supposed to be running the show here?

So we went from running a tourney how it's suppose to, too one man being gone doing god knows what. And another having a good time smiling on casuals. I thought, ok it'll turn around. I should have known better. It got worse. By worse I mean this went on for hours, over 3 by my count, possibly 4 plus. I do know for a fact that Arma was on casuals for 3 hours+ and Fran was missng that whole time. So the whole thing was being run by DMS. God bless him for giving a shit and trying to hold it together. I'm not sure if he knew that the other two where droping the ball or not. But he did his thing as much as he could from what I saw. But the situation with the casuals was out of control.

I'd love to rant about the casual situation at length, but I'll say this. Be respectful and play a normal set. Ya know first to 3/5, maybe 10 if there arn't too many people. But I talked to a lot of people who never got to play one. Why is that? Because a Staff person was on the stick for over 3 hours! But he is not the only person at fault. There were plenty of prominant members hogging it up. And to top it off I saw a lot of guys that were "next" but two "top players" come around and bogart the set up because "they need MU XP." So the dude that is coming out to his first, possibly second major concedes because he knows who you are and doesn't want to come off as a prick, when that's what you're doing BTW, because he doesn't want to come off the wrong way; cause that really helps make friends you know. Most of you guys have large scenes off-line, they don't, give em a chance. Poor guys, they ended up leaving because they were pissed or dismayed at the scene. And you guys want more people to come out to off-line scenes, good job TYM.

So at this point I was so annoyed and hungry and left to get some food. I returned to find the same god damn thing going on! Except this time Arma was mingling in the crowd doing nothing and Fran was still gone! I couldn't change the font size the express the WTF in this operation. Around this time is when there was yet another problem with the stream station and ol dude that I surmised was running Kombat Network tried to blame NRS for the problems with the xbox. People blew up. I agree with them. You're responsible for a tourney. At a major you deliver, not pass blame. This is one of the parts that I may just not know, but that's what I got out of it.

So next is the Perfect Ledgend Diva incident. I will go on the record and say that if the situation was reversed he would have taken it. I will also say that I don't feel bad. It's a Major with RULES. That's it. You don't get a do over or a pass because of who you are. But that is not the point here. I just wanted to sprinkle some hate on there because I thought he was out of line and full Hollywood, hold it Carl. The point is that at this point Fran had finally arrived and was sitting near the stream station when this happened. He seemed baffled as to what to do. I'm sorry bro, you had the event staff shirt on for reason. Either enforce the rules, find the man above you that will, or get out of the way. That's why you were there. BTW it was awesome when tons of people on the floor said the station was fine, because it was.

So post PL melt down DMS was still doing his utmost to run things, while Fran sat in a chair calling names sometimes. DMS was tired I could see it, but he was away from the steam so now someone that people knew could turn things around. So after nearly 5 hours he could start to kick people off of casuals to actually play the tourney! This didn't happen until almost the end of pool 6, beginning of 7. It should also be noted that around this time the rest of the room cleared out because they were done with their game for the day. But we were still rolling because we were running our tourney from ONE set up until that point. That's cool for the stream I guess, but otherwise all the way fucked up.

So I will end in saying this. If you volunteer to run a tourney as staff, fucking do it. I heard one person say that you guys said you were not being paid so you didn't give a fuck. If that's true shame on you. When you sign up to do something, when you're putting your name on it; why would you drop the ball so hard!? I personally don't have it in me to just say fuck it i'll do me when I'm suppose to be there for a reason. You two did not forfill your position at all and as a result the whole tourney was a disaster, girl scouts selling cookies in my neighborhood could have done a better job. There were people that payed a lot of money to come out and compete that felt like they wasted it. There were people that traveled a lot further than I did for that kind of Bullshit. I personally spent over $450 on my venture and I drove from Jacksonville, FL. How do you think the people from TX (that's Texas if you didn't know) feel, or the guys from Chicago?

So everyone please diccuss. Fill in my missing puzzle pieces or feel free to tell me that which "I just don't know."

Last edited:

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
I will just say that the xbox freezing thing is a glitch within the game that does happen when it has been running for too long. Nothing the TOs can do about that really except turn it off and on every now and then. Also, the hotfix stuff is so random...you can hotfix the system, and then it disappears later. Just buggy...

@Shock and Kombat Network run a phenomenal stream. I give him a lot of props and praise for what he does. These guys are volunteering and traveling over 10+ hours to provide support. They honestly do the best with what they are given to work with. HArdline internet is never going to happen so having like 10 backup 4g cards is necessary since those things are so random by area and service

To your other points: Many are just some of the symptoms that arise during grass roots tournaments in general. It is chaos. You have 128 people and 5 set-ups... Just kinda happens.

The biggest issue involved the merging of pools which messed up the seeding completely (Which is a very important issue btw, seeding by region and skill is VERY important for too many reasons to get into in this thread. The "put on your big boy pants and play whoever" attitude needs to stop here. )

From what I understand: I think the merger happened by miscommunication. They ( the greater TOs, aka no one involved with injustice) thought we didn't meet the 128 man bracket criteria do allow 16 pools. In fact we had 127 so it would have been fine, but at that point it became too late.

The only true solution is MLG. 100 set-ups, clean bathrooms, professionalism, corporate sponsors, free dr.pepper and organized bureaucracy at its finest.

Last edited:

JLG

Noob
I was not there and do not know any of these people personally, all I can really say is that I have seen things go down like how you described at many tournaments for FPS and fighting games. Of course volunteers are not paid, so the incentive to actually do their duty is really small. Not too many people are dependable enough to do the "right" thing. Good luck at the next tourney.

LEGI0N47

I will just say that the xbox freezing thing is a glitch within the game that does happen when it has been running for too long. Nothing the TOs can do about that really except turn it off and on every now and then.

@Shock and Kombat Network run a phenomenal stream. I give him a lot of props and praise for what he does. These guys are volunteering and traveling over 10+ hours to provide support. They honestly do the best with what they are given to work with.

To your other points: Many are just some of the symptoms that arise during grass roots tournaments in general. It is chaos. You have 128 people and 5 set-ups... Just kinda happens.

The biggest issue involved the merging of pools which messed up the seeding completely (Which is a very important issue btw, seeding by region and skill is VERY important for too many reasons to get into in this thread. The "put on your big boy pants and play whoever" attitude needs to stop here. )

From what I understand: I think the merger happened by miscommunication. They ( the greater TOs, aka no one involved with injustice) thought we didn't meet the 128 man bracket criteria do allow 16 pools. In fact we had 127 so it would have been fine, but at that point it became too late.

The only true solution is MLG. 100 set-ups, clean bathrooms, professionalism, corporate sponsors, free dr.pepper and organized bureaucracy at its finest.

See there is some that I don't know about. The stream and Kombat Network thing I'm not sure about. Shock seemed cool, but perception of the crowd is reality unless you do something about it to set it straight.

With respect GTFO of here with doing their best. So their best is fucking off for hours.
I disagree with you not likeing my big boy pants statement. I get the location situation but sooner or later you're going to have to fight someone good, first round or not I see no problem.

Using not getting paid as an excuse is such a load of fucking shit it's not even funny. I used to work in tech support, you think when I went to people's houses for free to handle their tech issues cause I got whored out by people who knew what I did for a living that I did a piss poor job just cause I wasn't getting paid? No, I gave them the same service as I did anyone at work. And that was stuff I DIDN'T EVEN WANT TO DO. Take some pride in what you're doing and stop using not being paid as an excuse to put on a shit show. Especially if it's something you're claiming you're doing out of love for the scene/game/whatever.

The more I read from Pig and other people in the know the more I can see it's flat out incompetence. People have been told why shit isn't running right repeatedly and they do nothing to fix it and it doesn't help that the community does their best to prop these people up no matter what.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'll tag @Shock in this (the 'dude that you surmised was running Kombat Network', hehe) -- but these guys are driving back and won't be home for a while.

Also @AK Pig Of The Hut if you want to comment.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
I disagree with you not likeing my big boy pants statement. I get the location situation but sooner or later you're going to have to fight someone good, first round or not I see no problem.
I see what you're saying, but it's really all in the interest of fairness. It's similar to the NCAA tournament. The better you are during the season, the easier your schedule's going to be because you earned it. It wouldn't be fair for a 1 seed to have to play a 2 seed first round where a 15 seed gets a 16 seed. That being said, this isn't the NCAA tournament and the sense of entitlement some people feel needs to go away...

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
See there is some that I don't know about. The stream and Kombat Network thing I'm not sure about. Shock seemed cool, but perception of the crowd is reality unless you do something about it to set it straight.

With respect GTFO of here with doing their best. So their best is fucking off for hours.
However, there is no reason 3 top 8 placers should be in a pool together. It is easy to space them out.
People pay a lot of money to come out to tournaments and travel. There is no reason to play teammates first round or have top 8 matches played out in pools....

There is a reason why every sports bracket in the universe uses seeding points....

Top 32, top 16, top 8s are only supposed to get harder and more hype for the spectator. If you mis-seed and put all the bad people in one side and the good people in the other...then top will be filled with blowups and boring matches. Furthermore it is disrespectful to players like @KDZ or Tom Brady to not be seeded properly. They go out to events, pay money and do well,...they should be rewarded for their hard work and skill.

Trust me it is important.

Regardless, the pools were well seeded until the merging incident. That is the problem here, not your misunderstanding of why it is important to seed correctly.

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
This is the first "tldr" post I've actually read on this site, and I 100% respect Legion's opinion and the issues he had with the tournament.

I'm not going to take any side, I'll remain neutral on the situation. However, @Emperor DMS deserves a ton of praise for what he does for this community. People need to realize he only joined MKC recently and he's made a larger POSITIVE impact on the scene than almost 90% of the community. Hold dat

JLG

Noob
However, @Emperor DMS deserves a ton of praise for what he does for this community. People need to realize he only joined MKC recently and he's made a larger POSITIVE impact on the scene than almost 90% of the community. Hold dat

Just so I'm clear, is DMS = Devil May Spy (or however it's spelled)? I'm just trying to get the faces with the names matched up in my head. So, Devil May Spy was the commentator with the cool tie, yes?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I'll tag @Shock in this (the 'dude that you surmised was running Kombat Network', hehe) -- but these guys are driving back and won't be home for a while.

What I have to say I may have to record audio podcast and I'm currently dealing w another blow up

I'm absolutely done man and that means I don't give a fuck what I say

Clanking up another situation no one knows about then will release a final FR statement

And any further discussion must be on a live pod cast

@CrimsonShadow

LEGI0N47

Well for all I know he is. He was the face of it from where I stood. Perhaps the real Kombat Network could stand up if he is part of the puzzle. I'm sure a bunch of you know who he is and are laughing at me for not knowing so please, get that corner peice.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
What I have to say I may have to record audio podcast and I'm currently dealing w another blow up

I'm absolutely done man and that means I don't give a fuck what I say

Clanking up another situation no one knows about then will release a final FR statement

And any further discussion must be on a live pod cast

@CrimsonShadow
*Insert eating popcorn gif here*

I really miss hearing you on your podcast. Please...come back and make a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.