What's new

FOX SonicFox wins Injustice 2 at Kumite in Tennessee 2018

E

Eldriken

tired of seeing this guy win
You and many others. But until someone does something about it, it's gonna stay that way.

I sometimes get bored of seeing him win, but not last night. Watching his Black Manta was satisfying.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So I want to say to all you guys who didn't believe Sonic was rusty from MvC at ELEAGUE, thought he was just making excuses, or said everyone else was catching up to him:

Lolol as if on cue here comes the "Sonic's on a Marvel vacation when there's $150k on the line" squad.
I think you can make the case that the distance between Sonic and the rest of the competitors has been slowly shrinking for some time now. That's not to say he's not the best player, but he's either been beaten or looked beatable a little more often in the last few months (even with having won something like 5 events prior, he's shown some chinks in the ole armor).
One: SonicFox "being on a Marvel kick so lul he's rusty" is not relevant enough for the literal best player in our scene to lose in a matchup that he plays REALLY well, that's also in his favor. Like he beats Nubcakes and everyone's like "omg Sonic yaaaaas" and then King beats him a second time it's "Oh Sonic's on the marvel grind" or "oh maybe the MU isn't in Fox's favor" actually shut up holy crap.
King played great and maybe Sonic wasn't on his full potential but I don't really buy that... I mean, there was a looot of money on the line for him to be like... Yeah, I don't give a shit so I will just play rusty and keep playing MVC.
Ehhhh. I call bullshit. He is on my friends list and I saw him play plenty of i2 in the weeks coming up to the event. $150,000 or something was on the line. He was prepared. Let’s not take anything away from king who not one beat him once... but twice.

King has been a top 5 NRS player. I hate seeing ppl imply “it was only bc fox played mvci”

Well where are all the fox followers that said he was argueably the greatest multi game player of all time? Maybe he isn’t.

I'm starting to think Sonics patience for nrs games are running out because defense is actually a thing in nrs games. He just likes the mix too much I guess.
I play MvCI / I2 / SkullGirls / and BBCF and I can go into each game and still retain my skill from last sesh and level up more! So this whole "Sonic was on marvel" bullshit is for the birds like real shit because sonic been on i2 a lot in upcoming weeks... it was 150k on line that's more than he would win in a MvCI tournament as of now... and he uses the most broke team in the game but that's besides the point...
Sonic likes mixing ppl to death and whether ppl like it or not its a strategy in today's fighters. Go listen to brady a little. Defense was not relevant at all in mkx until the end when 50s actually became unsafe. He's a sg player and that's why he's fitting in with mvc. Inj 2 is the most defensive and zoning relevant game nrs has put out since sf has taken the crown. Now he loses it? Not because of mvc or because he's tired of nrs games, its because he can't walk in and mix someone and move on. In his eleague story thing, he said "this is a game you actually have to warm up in." Compared to what games? The past nrs games that emphasized relentless offense and a defensive game that stressed pressing buttons rather than actually blocking?
... You need to believe it now. Sonic is just as good as he's always been, and he's still as much better than the field as he's been all year. He wasn't making excuses, it was the truth.

"Sonic doesn't like defense and INJ2 is a defensive game"
"Everyone else is catching up"
"He's just beatable now get used to it"

I say to everyone who really thought this was true.. Better luck in 2018 ;) He's back.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
So I want to say to all you guys who didn't believe Sonic was rusty from MvC at ELEAGUE, thought he was just making excuses, or said everyone else was catching up to him:

... You need to believe it now. Sonic is just as good as he's always been, and he's still as much better than the field as he's been all year. He wasn't making excuses, it was the truth.

I say to everyone who really thought this was true.. Better luck in 2018 ;) He's back.
Wait what? I never said he was worse or anything, I just hate how people try to take away stuff from others (in this case King) by saying “Sonic is rusty” or whatever... no one cares! He lost back then.

I mean i couldn’t care less if everyone is catching up on Sonic... I love watching him play and all the other players too so idk why would I have a secret agenda or anything.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Wait what? I never said he was worse or anything, I just hate how people try to take away stuff from others (in this case King) by saying “Sonic is rusty” or whatever... no one cares! He lost back then.

I mean i couldn’t care less if everyone is catching up on Sonic... I love watching him play and all the other players too so idk why would I have a secret agenda or anything.
The way I see it, Sonic was rusty and that was clearly evident in the other matches he played (not just the match against King).

King was also playing really well.

So the truth is, both; and it shouldn't be put in a light where admitting this is taking something away from King. You still have to show up and win, and FK played well and did that. But people saying Sonic was OS'ing by saying that he was rusty and he'd be back should also admit that -- as usual -- Sonic was just telling the truth and he's backed it up since.

Last edited:

well then he is a complete idiot for focusing on a game with no money at the time vs the amount he lost at eleague bc "he was rusty and just didn't train for"

he got outplayed at eleague. whether he was rusty or not... sometimes we just have to fail to light a fire under our ass.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela

Lol you’re reaching pretty hard. Reread the post of mine you quoted. I clearly said he’s the best, but that the gap had narrowed a bit. Not exactly a proclamation of sonic fox being washed or something.

His win at KIT was impressive and dominant, but that doesn’t change the fact that he lost to king 2x and some other players in the last few months. Maybe that was due to a bit of a character crisis, divided focus, or maybe simply a fluke, I have no idea, but he definitely had a dip in his performance and placings right around the time MvCI showed up, and he stopped entering pretty much all online tournaments for INJ2.

I will say that he’s playing a new character since his run of defeats, so maybe he just needed to find the character that suited him best to continue his run of terror.

I’m one of the biggest believers and fans of young fox as a native Delawarean myself. I think we could easily see a major in the next few months where he either wins or finishes top 4 in Injustice 2, MvCI, and DBFZ. Which of course would be absolutely unprecedented, even for JWong.

Props to the fox

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Lol you’re reaching pretty hard. Reread the post of mine you quoted. I clearly said he’s the best, but that the gap had narrowed a bit. Not exactly a proclamation of sonic fox being washed or something.
I hear you. I don't think it's really a reach. In every game we have, he loses a couple of events to people after winning for weeks (the Terry's, King, Pnut, Cowboy, Theo, Scar or whoever) and people start saying the gap has narrowed, the gap is closing vs. other people, etc. Then every single time, Sonic says "teehee I'm practicing again" and comes back and wipes the floor. Every single time.

It's the same story in every game, but it's like people forget the story every year :)

In MK11 I'm sure it'll happen again.

Last edited:

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
I
I hear you. I don't think it's really a reach. In every game we have, he loses a couple of events to people after winning for weeks (the Terry's, King, Pnut, Cowboy, Theo, Scar or whoever) and people start saying the gap has narrowed, the gap is closing vs. other people, etc. Then every single time, Sonic says "teehee I'm practicing again" and comes back and wipes the floor. Every single time.

It's the same story in every game, but it's like people forget the story every year :)

I hear ya bro. He’s a freak of nature and anyone genuinely trying to minimize or take away from his accomplishments is a fool.

That was not my intent, and I fully expect sonicfox to achieve any and everything he wants to should he continue to put in the work he’s put in since 2011-2012.

Anyone who can’t just plainly recognize his greatness is blinded by some personal bias. It’s a very shortlist when talking about people with comparable runs of dominance. He’s a meme.

And that’s not to say he’s invincible or infallible or that someone won’t come along and ultimately surpass him, but I’m confident that person hasn’t emerged as of yet.

I guess I objected to being lumped into this canal of people who were downplaying the fox, but I ain’t mad at ya, and I’ll hold the L that I suggested that somehow sonic was losing a step or something, because he’s clearly still getting better.

Now bring on that sonic dickrider shit talk, idgaf, the kid is the deal.

South

I'd rather SHOW than TELL ~ Poison Ivy
So I want to say to all you guys who didn't believe Sonic was rusty from MvC at ELEAGUE, thought he was just making excuses, or said everyone else was catching up to him

I say to everyone who really thought this was true.. Better luck in 2018 ;) He's back.[/QUOTE

Did you really call Injustice 2 a defense game? Lol pce where game that have mostly defense options that don't cost resources besides a couple which are game changing and + block string turn - or even punishable injustice 2/ Mkx definitely aren't defensive. Whereas every defense puts you at a resourceful lose n some that defense gets you fucked in the end this game is still HEAVILY offensive based. Other than that irdc about sonic winning lol or the sonic vs dragon hype as we all know sonic would've 3-0'd dragon. All I care about is scar going on one of the best runs during Injustice 2 lifespan ever.

Tweedy

Noob
I got 13th, lost to Dragon and Scar. Had the hardest path imo so i'm not too mad at top 16, and Scar was just more clutch than me in close situations. Didn't take enough risks. Looking forward to IPS season 2 if it happens, but if not i'll probably still go to CB/CEO/EVO.

This was the best event I've been to. If you're thinking about kumite in texas and you're an nrs player, stop thinking and just book your stuff.

That was one of the best top 8s o think I've ever seen. Did all the people on this forum migrate to somewhere else or are fighting game forums just dying?

Top 8 was absolutely amazing. Also, I know a lot of people felt the GF was a snooze fest, but the way sonic fox was baiting Semij in neutral was unreal. Great matches overall

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Did this trashcan really just pull a months-old quote about Sonic Fox losing with $150k on the line because he just won some tournament nobody even watched with like $1k on the line all this time later like that’s worthy of some grand “I told you so” moment? Holy shit way to go, bud!
Sonic just won both NEC And KIT against some of the top players in the world (Theo, Dragon, Semij, King, etc). But hey -- when you win your own major, then you can can take Sonic down a notch for winning a highly competitive offline event because the money wasn't as much as you wanted it to be.

It used to be that winning a major meant something because of who was there, not just the total of the pot money involved. And in my book, that's still what counts -- there's still an actual FGC underneath all the pot bonuses and pro tours.

But also, aside from that, KIT is the one major where the TO really puts his heart and soul every year into making sure NRS games are front and center stage, main event and pole position. That's just super disrespectful of what KIT now represents, and goes against the growth of the scene.

Last edited:

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Lol chill dude, it was tongue-in-cheek, and KIT’s been nothing short of a phenomenal event every year I’ve watched since Batman edged out Bane back in ‘14. The shade was solely intended for that dummy who keeps disrespecting every player not named Sonic Fox every time he loses and finding every excuse in the book for it, only to show up months later acting like a win here and there invalidates the hard work everyone else put in at those other events, ESPECIALLY ones with that much money on the line.

I definitely apologize for dragging you and KIT into the sarcasm too though, because you put in some of the best and hardest work in the biz to ensure those of us who do tune in get a great show year in and year out, undeniably.

Sonic just won both NEC And KIT against some of the top players in the world (Theo, Dragon, Semij, King, etc). But hey -- when you win your own major, then you can can take Sonic down a notch for winning a highly competitive offline event because the money wasn't as much as you wanted it to be.

It used to be that winning a major meant something because of who was there, not just the total of the pot money involved. And in my book, that's still what counts -- there's still an actual FGC underneath all the pot bonuses and pro tours.

But also, aside from that, KIT is the one major where the TO really puts his heart and soul every year into making sure NRS games are front and center stage, main event and pole position. That's just super disrespectful of what KIT now represents, and goes against the growth of the scene.

TL;DR and please just stop quoting me. Nobody is trying to invalidate Sonic Fox and you need to stop telling people to win their own major like a five year old would, especially when the entire issue is that every time someone else does win a major you’re a disrespectful twat about it with your Sonic Fox dickriding. You can’t make excuse after excuse that shit on the people who beat SF when he loses and then come running in here quoting everyone who called you out for being so ignorant just because he’s won some more again finally. He’s one of the best fighting game players in history, he’s going to win some. When he loses some though, you should stfu and respect the people who put in the hard work to beat him.

Or y’know, just keep acting like dabbling in Marvel vs Capcom was more important to him than winning $150k and Evo. Just don’t @ me any more though.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
TL;DR and please just stop quoting me. Nobody is trying to invalidate Sonic Fox and you need to stop telling people to win their own major like a five year old would, especially when the entire issue is that every time someone else does win a major you’re a disrespectful twat about it with your Sonic Fox dickriding. You can’t make excuse after excuse that shit on the people who beat SF when he loses and then come running in here quoting everyone who called you out for being so ignorant just because he’s won some more again finally. He’s one of the best fighting game players in history, he’s going to win some. When he loses some though, you should stfu and respect the people who put in the hard work to beat him.

Or y’know, just keep acting like dabbling in Marvel vs Capcom was more important to him than winning $150k and Evo. Just don’t @ me any more though.
I said:

1) Forever King played well
2) Sonic was rusty (against everyone at that event, not only FK), said as much in a tweet, and returned to being as sharp as he was before at the very next events.

Tell me how this equates to an attack on someone -- It's honesty and accounts objectively for everybody involved.

If should't take away from anyone to admit that Sonic was speaking honestly and backed his words up 100% in competition. This is what you'd count on a pro to do.

Last edited: