What's new

Sub-Zero Pre-Release General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
@Gilbagz damn I just realized I didn't tag you in the first page post!

It looks like we will get the Cryo we deserved if they're indeed focusing on his weapons as much as the trailer... I could cry of happiness if he gets the neutral game he never had as Cryo :D
Haha i'm gonna be a joker main this game. But gonna run a secondary Sub/Red Hood though.
But yeah keen af on Sub still.

It would be nice not to rely on the corner so much, hopefully he has solid footsie tools with those swords and he gets the clone too.

Mid screen 37-40+% 1 Bar, one can dream ⛄

I like that he has an overlapping, almost feather like chainmail. After all, if you have ice as a power why wouldn't you make armor out of it as well?

I'm in full support of Stance Switching as his Trait. Defensive, traditional Ice Clone in one stance and offensive, Noob Saibot-like Ice Clones in the other. Obviously the offensive Ice Clones damage the opponent rather than freezing them.

Lokheit

Noob
I'm in full support of Stance Switching as his Trait. Defensive, traditional Ice Clone in one stance and offensive, Noob Saibot-like Ice Clones in the other. Obviously the offensive Ice Clones damage the opponent rather than freezing them.
It wouldn't fit Kuai Liang to have his deceased brother powers though (it's confirmed it's not Bi Han) and ice klones can't run towards the opponent for a charge. So far I'm not liking the characters that have stance switch as traits to be honest, so I prefer if it's something more tactical than a switch.

It wouldn't fit Kuai Liang to have his deceased brother powers though (it's confirmed it's not Bi Han) and ice klones can't run towards the opponent for a charge. So far I'm not liking the characters that have stance switch as traits to be honest, so I prefer if it's something more tactical than a switch.
Both Bi Han and Kuai Liang like making clones of themselves when fighting. It's not a unique thing to Bi Han at all. And let's not forget that Kuai Liang used to partner up with Smoke for some tag team action. We saw that much in MK9. Both Sub-Zeros like working with backup.

But for Kuai Liang I could see his clones, if used offensively, being similar to how Glacius uses his puddle punch clones. If Kuai Liang can fucking teleport using his ice powers then making offensive ice clones is perfectly reasonable.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
But for Kuai Liang I could see his clones, if used offensively, being similar to how Glacius uses his puddle punch clones. If Kuai Liang can fucking teleport using his ice powers then making offensive ice clones is perfectly reasonable.
You mean similar to this?

If yes, I could think of this combo if his moves can still be there...

B12xxIceball, Teleport, B12xxMB Bomb, B12xxPPxxIce Hammer.

Would help with switching sides.

You mean similar to this?

If yes, I could think of this combo if his moves can still be there...

B12xxIceball, Teleport, B12xxMB Bomb, B12xxPPxxIce Hammer.

Would help with switching sides.
Yep that's what I was referring to. But I honestly would rather he didn't have a teleport, personally. That seems like a great candidate for an earned Ability, actually.

But in a game full of zoners and such a huge distance between players being possible, Sub is going to need tools to deal with all of that. That's something he's honestly never had to deal with in MK. Some ranged, Glacius-type moves would help him out a lot here.

I could see something like him using his old Cold Shoulder move to help here, only instead of Sub himself doing the Cold Shoulder he forms a Clone that does the move instead. The Clone doesn't animate or anything. It's just like a statue that slides across the screen in the Cold Shoulder pose. And instead of freezing the opponent it should probably just deal damage like a normal projectile. It would be cool if it could soak projectiles too, shattering after being hit. This would give Sub time to move forward behind the sliding Clones.

Last edited:

Tanno

Yep that's what I was referring to. But I honestly would rather he didn't have a teleport, personally. That seems like a great candidate for an earned Ability, actually.

But in a game full of zoners and such a huge distance between players being possible, Sub is going to need tools to deal with all of that. That's something he's honestly never had to deal with in MK. Some ranged, Glacius-type moves would help him out a lot here.

I could see something like him using his old Cold Shoulder move to help here, only instead of Sub himself doing the Cold Shoulder he forms a Clone that does the move instead. The Clone doesn't animate or anything. It's just like a statue that slides across the screen in the Cold Shoulder pose. And instead of freezing the opponent it should probably just deal damage like a normal projectile. It would be cool if it could soak projectiles too, shattering after being hit. This would give Sub time to move forward behind the sliding Clones.
Speaking of Slides, I would love to see something similar to Cyber Sub's EX Slide, but instead of the Ice Stalactites, it would be his Klone to give some time to prepare himself of whether he wants to slide, or set a trap or anything else.

And I agree that INJ2 is full of zoners, like Aquaman, Black Adam, Dr. Fate, etc, so he would need some tools to counter them somehow.

I think it would actually look pretty damned cool to see Sub throwing weaker Ice Clones to eat projectiles while he's moving forward. Maybe these types of Clones only last for like 1 second or half a second or something so you have to time them well to effectively soak projectiles while advancing. It would almost be like a parry for projectiles. That would look sick but require skill.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
They updated his bio on the official site to tie in with DC more

"Sub-Zero is a lethal cryomancer and leader of the reformed Lin Kuei clan. When Sub-Zero was younger, the Lin Kuei were corrupted and destroyed from within, staining their honor. Now serving as Grandmaster, Sub-Zero vows to redeem that honor, pledging to defend the realm from threats near, far, and beyond. In the intergalactic menace Brainiac, Sub-Zero sees a threat to all worlds, and perhaps his greatest opportunity for redemption yet."

I plan on making Harley my main for the entire life of this game, but Sub will probably be my pocket. Super excited to see him interact with all the characters!

Interesting...I know he is a Cryomancer but mentioning Cryomancer specifically first before Grandmaster seems like a possible hint to his game play. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but If that's the case I hope he doesn't have Shao Kahn's Hammer and the Ice Daggers (Sub-Zero should not be a command grab character ever) and just has Sword type moves, be so nice to play Neutral and footsies with Sub. I also hope there is No Unnecessary execution barriers like DBF 3.

I'm hoping for strong defensive tools regardless. He just ain't Sub-Zero without a Defensive game whether that be clone, parry, aura, a combination of the 3, maybe even something new. Like others here I think it's crucial for him not being too dependent on the clone and having his base moves designed around it.

Fingers crossed NRS don't fuck him up.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Interesting...I know he is a Cryomancer but mentioning Cryomancer specifically first before Grandmaster seems like a possible hint to his game play. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but If that's the case I hope he doesn't have Shao Kahn's Hammer and the Ice Daggers (Sub-Zero should not be a command grab character ever) and just has Sword type moves, be so nice to play Neutral and footsies with Sub. I also hope there is No Unnecessary execution barriers like DBF 3.
I think Ice Hammer might actually end up being his F3 in this game

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
He looks a lot more nimble and aggressive than MKX Sub. MKX Sub was built like a tank, he looks smaller in this game, I'm thinking he will be more quick and offensive.

Tanno

I think Ice Hammer might actually end up being his F3 in this game
It would be interesting. If they keep the very same starting animation, they should make the Ice Punch (Similar to Tremor's Rock Punch) for the B3. This would be a true 50/50 to confuse the opponents.

B2 for F3?

M.D. Needs more fuel for the fire. Hell Make it 12 Frames with 10 Frame Recovery just for the salt. Double B2 returns lol

But yeah, this is a more nimble looking Sub so he has a good chance of being more offensive but the ice scales are basically armour so defensive options seem very likely too...you would think...

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
OMG!!

At first I was like "tons of recycled animations from MK9 and MKX"...

Then the klones barrage and kori weapons started dropping... I'M IN LOVE!!

FINALLY ICE HAMMER LOOKS USEFUL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.