What's new

Strategy Footsies in MK9 and Risk/Reward concept

Flagg

Noob
i've learnt the power of walking...you can react to stuff being thrown your way a lot faster compared to a dash, i.e., ducking, blocking, retreating, AA, etc.

But it depends on the character. Characters like Jade, Rain and Baraka have really good "walk" speeds which you can bait whiff punishes. However CSZ has a terrible walk. Admittedly this is compensated by the fact he has the best dash in the game, BUT with the nerf dash, this hampers him a bit, which is why zoning can be really good against him, especially air zoning.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
i've learnt the power of walking...you can react to stuff being thrown your way a lot faster compared to a dash, i.e., ducking, blocking, retreating, AA, etc.

But it depends on the character. Characters like Jade, Rain and Baraka have really good "walk" speeds which you can bait whiff punishes. However CSZ has a terrible walk. Admittedly this is compensated by the fact he has the best dash in the game, BUT with the nerf dash, this hampers him a bit, which is why zoning can be really good against him, especially air zoning.
dashing isnt useless though, its more useful around sweep range than walking because it changes spacing fast

Flagg

Noob
dashing isnt useless though, its more useful around sweep range than walking because it changes spacing fast
Oh yeah, I mean CSZ 21 moves him forward anyway, so dashing in and executing that is guaranteed pressure or punish as you can't neutral duck it. Reptile has a terrible walk and I see LOTS of Reptiles using elbow to close distance, which I find odd considering the character has quite a fast walk. It's like Raidens that refuse to walk and think teleport is their only means of "moving".

But yes, in the last few months, i've incorporated walking, especially walking backwards to great effect. Punishing a jump in kick by simply walking back with a full combo is golden.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Oh yeah, I mean CSZ 21 moves him forward anyway, so dashing in and executing that is guaranteed pressure or punish as you can't neutral duck it. Reptile has a terrible walk and I see LOTS of Reptiles using elbow to close distance, which I find odd considering the character has quite a fast walk. It's like Raidens that refuse to walk and think teleport is their only means of "moving".

But yes, in the last few months, i've incorporated walking, especially walking backwards to great effect. Punishing a jump in kick by simply walking back with a full combo is golden.
you dont even have to do 21

go to practice mode and fullscreen, do a dash and cancel it to b22 see how much distance you cover

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Something else that I feel is underutilized that I wanna start incorporating is whiff punishing jump ins with strings into full combo.

I see this a lot from Kitana players, I've seen Digi do it with Sheeva and I've seen it done a lot with many other characters.

I've been working on it with Jade and Stryker and it works for their 17 and 19 frame normals so it's definitely a big help. Although online is a lot harder to do this type of stuff, but still worth working on. Of course, you can also do faster normals as well.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Something else that I feel is underutilized that I wanna start incorporating is whiff punishing jump ins with strings into full combo.

I see this a lot from Kitana players, I've seen Digi do it with Sheeva and I've seen it done a lot with many other characters.

I've been working on it with Jade and Stryker and it works for their 17 and 19 frame normals so it's definitely a big help. Although online is a lot harder to do this type of stuff, but still worth working on. Of course, you can also do faster normals as well.
some charactrs also get better scaling on their combos if done like that

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
some charactrs also get better scaling on their combos if done like that
Seriously? That's tight.

It's awesome that you get rewarded with more damage.

More of an incentive to get this down :). At this point in the game, spacing/footsies is the main thing I work on now.

Jaiyson

100% Jamaican
And I thought footsies was only d3 d1 an d4..lol.. This thread is very helpful cuz awhile back i posted a status about to improve my footsies in mk9 and this info help me alot...

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Seriously? That's tight.

It's awesome that you get rewarded with more damage.

More of an incentive to get this down :). At this point in the game, spacing/footsies is the main thing I work on now.
check out scorpions b2 combos in the air and on the ground

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I want to revive this for MKX, will update just before its release to ease the injustice crowd who might dabble in MK9 transition easier and once MKX is out I'll go ahead and make a new guide or update this one further on.