What's new

Footage of the currently best Geras player on planet Earth!

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/365676530

Timestamp at 55:00

Obviously a clickbait title based on Maximillians statement about the Geras player being a developer, who has probably more experience with Geras than anyone else.
Nonetheless you can see some decent footage of Maximillian playing as Sub-Zero against a developer playing as Geras.

In general you should check out the VOD, since Max and his crew talk about everything MK 11. Very interesting stuff about mechanics, changes and much more.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
1:00:15: Max talking about Sub-Zero's 50/50 vortex. Well, that didn't take long.

"Sub-Zero's 50/50 game is fucking crazy." -Max

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
1:00:15: Max talking about Sub-Zero's 50/50 vortex. Well, that didn't take long.

"Sub-Zero's 50/50 game is fucking crazy." -Max
Yeah it was worrying to hear that.

16bit said they wanted to make mixups less deadly by designing them like most fighting games do, one option for the combo and the other for conditioning.

But that only works if the combo starter is a commitment that can be easily punished. If you can just cancel it early and still get the OH/low then the whole risk of it is gone and it’s all reward.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yeah it was worrying to hear that.

16bit said they wanted to make mixups less deadly by designing them like most fighting games do, one option for the combo and the other for conditioning.

But that only works if the combo starter is a commitment that can be easily punished. If you can just cancel it early and still get the OH/low then the whole risk of it is gone and it’s all reward.
It also doesn't work if it can loop into itself indefinitely. Like Max said, his opponents really didn't enjoy not getting to play the game while he mixed them to death.

Gamer68

Fujin!
16bit mentioned that Sub-Zero has an overhead that leads into a full combo but it's unsafe on block. He also said that Sub-Zero overall is one of the best offensive characters in the game.

Mix-ups, vortex, etc, haven't been completely removed like people think, it's just that there are significantly less of them and only certain characters have them.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
It also doesn't work if it can loop into itself indefinitely. Like Max said, his opponents really didn't enjoy not getting to play the game while he mixed them to death.
I am a bit on the fence about what he said though, as he said part of the vortex was using Sub’s EX ice ball to make strings safe on block but in some of the footage you can see Sub cancelling into an EX ice ball and getting punished.

He also noted Scorpion as well, but Scorpiom actually fits the design philosophy as he has a combo starting string with a low on it, and his command overhead only splats the enemy and doesn’t combo.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I am a bit on the fence about what he said though, as he said part of the vortex was using Sub’s EX ice ball to make strings safe on block but in some of the footage you can see Sub cancelling into an EX ice ball and getting punished.

He also noted Scorpion as well, but Scorpiom actually fits the design philosophy as he has a combo starting string with a low on it, and his command overhead only splats the enemy and doesn’t combo.
I'm not taking what players are saying about the game right now 100% seriously because of stuff like this. There are going to be things that seem abusable but actually isn't, and vise versa. Plus it's pre-release so even if it was in the current build, it has a pretty good chance at changing by the time the game is out (or at least when the first patch drops).

EDIT: Not to mention that mechanics like Short Hopping and Flawless Block were overlooked because players didn't have enough time to practice them, but these mechanics could end up being important competitively once we understand them more (especially F-Block).

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
Also, Max is the one who said I2 was going to be pay 2 win because multiverse mode had level 20 bosses he couldn't beat the first time he played.

Max is cool cause he gets out there, gets the footage, and gets the dialogue started, but he's no mk messiah, he just likes the games. You're more likely to get accurate reporting from his buddies like Kenny and Steve.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Also, Max is the one who said I2 was going to be pay 2 win because multiverse mode had level 20 bosses he couldn't beat the first time he played.

Max is cool cause he gets out there, gets the footage, and gets the dialogue started, but he's no mk messiah, he just likes the games. You're more likely to get accurate reporting from his buddies like Kenny and Steve.
I watch Max's stuff and I generally like it, but this is pretty much true.

Max is about the "hype" and his favorite fighting game series is that MvC games, I believe (unless he changed his mind). He wants flashy moves that hit overhead or low and can easy launch for a 30-40% combo EASY. He is notorious for hating footsies, zoning, and pretty much anything that doesn't involve getting in quickly and pressuring so he can fish for said flashy combo. He denies this, and I remember him saying something like "I don't hate zoning and footsies, I just don't like PROJECTILE zoning and footsies. If it's like Glacius from Killer Instinct then I don't mind"... Glacius is a character that can convert into a full combo from a projectile.

Max pretty much made it clear that he didn't like Mortal Kombat 11 in it's current state because of the fact that it was footsie based, and I quote "There just wasn't a whole lot of combos". Basically:

Constant mixing and combos = "THIS IS HYPE DOOD OMG"
Neutral heavy = "There's just not a lot going on, not a lot of combos..."

But hey, Max played the game and I didn't so I guess his opinion actually matters. Besides, who knows? Maybe MK11 will end up being bad.

I watch Max's stuff and I generally like it, but this is pretty much true.

Max is about the "hype" and his favorite fighting game series is that MvC games, I believe (unless he changed his mind). He wants flashy moves that hit overhead or low and can easy launch for a 30-40% combo EASY. He is notorious for hating footsies, zoning, and pretty much anything that doesn't involve getting in quickly and pressuring so he can fish for said flashy combo. He denies this, and I remember him saying something like "I don't hate zoning and footsies, I just don't like PROJECTILE zoning and footsies. If it's like Glacius from Killer Instinct then I don't mind"... Glacius is a character that can convert into a full combo from a projectile.

Max pretty much made it clear that he didn't like Mortal Kombat 11 in it's current state because of the fact that it was footsie based, and I quote "There just wasn't a whole lot of combos". Basically:

Constant mixing and combos = "THIS IS HYPE DOOD OMG"
Neutral heavy = "There's just not a lot going on, not a lot of combos..."

But hey, Max played the game and I didn't so I guess his opinion actually matters. Besides, who knows? Maybe MK11 will end up being bad.
I just chalk it up as Max having a preference. I remember when I played Konquest mode in Deception, think I was 15?, and was trying to learn the combos it clicked with me that not every fighting game feels and plays the same even if the play style looks similar.