What's new

Flying In Formation - Flight Cancel Set-ups

This is a thread to post all your flight cancel fun.... for instance....

If I land df1 (no meter) pushing opponent into the corner, I jump over, reverse flight cancel, vertical jump, and land on their wake up. EDIT(D+2 puts you in the corner. D, then 2, puts the opponent in the corner). This works better the higher the juggling db1 lands.... 33 is a little more consistent on forcing the 50/50, and not letting ppl walk out of the corner.

Some times I try a soft reset mid combo by ending the combo with 13 fly cancel, dash forward, reverse fly cancel, jump in from behind. (it loses to tech rolls, but is usually good to keep the opponent on the defensive)

I've also seen people end not-so-long corner combos with 33/df1. Then, while the opponent is down, 13 backwards fly cancel and some how end up on the opponents other side.

Jump in 1, fly cancel, jump in 2. Good for pressuring people. (If your going to fly cancel anyways, it might be worth mashing 1 right as you jump, then fly cancel your protected jump.)

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Repeat after me. The air dash input is forward forward up-forward-diagonal. On the off chance your opponent TPs/mb roll/dash/cross you up some how, you might as well be jumping away from them instead of just floating mid air waiting to be punished.

In the same vein, if you are doing 13 reverse fly cancel on downed opponents in the corner. It may be worth learning to input a grapple right after reverse air cancel input before the down 2. Some times the opponents tech roll away, and your now undread backwards air cancel is just read as the overhead 2 in the 132 string. I think it even crosses up, it lands often for me, I'm starting to think I might as well get more than one hit off of it.

Last edited:
Ive also been practicing something new (best with blade stance out, but doable w/o) its a block string that needs to be blocked in 3 dif directions.

Jump 2 air cancel, jump over cross up 3 df1. They have to block 3 directions if timed properly, its harder for them to escape the lower you are to ground.

Last edited:

Sesal Snow

Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts
Ive also been practicing something new (best with blade stance out, but doable w/o) its a block string that needs to be blocked in 3 dif directions.

Jump 2 air cancel, jump over cross up 3 df1. They have to block 3 directions if timed properly, its harder for them to escape the lower you are to ground.
Yeah this is pretty good I have also been using this a little in my game. One thing to mention though on some of the bigger characters the jump 3 may not cross up. If this is the case you can just go into another j2 db2 nj2/1/3 Cancel etc.

Got something for when some one is in the corner, and you jump over reverse fly cancel. I think d+2 or d (as a cancel) then 2, alternate crossing up the opponent with what looks like the same damn animation.

Sesal Snow

Got something for when some one is in the corner, and you jump over reverse fly cancel. I think d+2 or d (as a cancel) then 2, alternate crossing up the opponent with what looks like the same damn animation.
Could you please elaborate on this?
Is this like the air dash cancel that hits cossup j2 into a neutral j2 off of the flight cancel?

So, if your opponent is say, in the corner (on the ground or not). And you jump over, and hover with your back to the wall.

a d+2 has you land on one side of the opponent. and if you cancel flight with a down, then hit 2, you land n the other side of the opponent.

I'm not sure what you are saying Sesal, but my guess is were both saying a similar thing. d2 from flight stance, and a falling 2, have slightly dif properties..... even if its just a split second difference between a d input and a 2

Last edited:

Sesal Snow

So, if your opponent is say, in the corner (on the ground or not). And you jump over, and hover with your back to the wall.

a d+2 has you land on one side of the opponent. and if you cancel flight with a down, then hit 2, you land n the other side of the opponent.

I'm not sure what you are saying Sesal, but my guess is were both saying a similar thing. d2 from flight stance, and a falling 2, have slightly dif properties.....
Oh I see that is different to what I had in mind. I must test with this bec if this is exactly what I am thinking you may be able to get cuj2 cancel into either a nj2 or another cuj2 or a nj2 into a nj2 etc.
This could be some dirty stuff.

....I'm still lost.... lol..... I knew I shoulda just posted a video with this....
It may just be that in the corner, the split second of falling from flight cancel..... puts you in the trajectory to fall on the left of the hit box below, or right.

Sesal Snow

ok So basically a setup I always use in the corner is.
Any combo into a 13 db2 ff.
After the FF you then do a backwards flight cancel similar to if you was just jumping in on their wakeup you would input the db2 reverse.
Once you are in the flight cancel db2 you then input uj2 This jump 2 will hit crossup.
You cancel the crossup j2 into db2 d2 and that j2 hits neutral.

What I was saying if your tech is what I think it is you could make the cross up j2 into a double crossup j2, A double Neutral or a Crossup into Neutral.
Does this make sense? I don't know anymore. So much Flying I am dizzie:confused:

Yeah his flight cancels give great a mount of options once you get them trained correctly with upflight punishes etc.

ok So basically a setup I always use in the corner is.
Any combo into a 13 db2 ff.
After the FF you then do a backwards flight cancel similar to if you was just jumping in on their wakeup you would input the db2 reverse.
Once you are in the flight cancel db2 you then input uj2 This jump 2 will hit crossup.
You cancel the crossup j2 into db2 d2 and that j2 hits neutral.

What I was saying if your tech is what I think it is you could make the cross up j2 into a double crossup j2, A double Neutral or a Crossup into Neutral.
Does this make sense? I don't know anymore. So much Flying I am dizzie:confused:

Holly shit, not only does this make sense..... I think it will work, depending on how their character staggers off of the first arial 2 hit.. Well, I will be trying this at 5pm unless some one beats me to it.

its probably height dependent tho, if to low, i bet it doesnt work anymore.

Sesal Snow

Holly shit, not only does this make sense..... I think it will work, depending on how their character staggers off of the first arial 2 hit.. Well, I will be trying this at 5pm unless some one beats me to it.

its probably height dependent tho, if to low, i bet it doesnt work anymore.
May be tricky with this new tech but it normally works on any size hitbox.
After the db2 ff make sure to do the uj2 db2 instant that way its a cu if you delay its a nj.

Dr4che

i will fix the bug ;)
i also like to end combos in the corner with 33 or b13.. Then whiff 13reverse flight.
from here u have a couple of good options if u cancel it immidiatly into d,j2 u will not reverse their wakeup option if u however delay it for just a few frames u will and if u delay it then neutral jump and they dont wakeup they will stand in the corner again. Also cross up jump from reverse flightC into mbcanon grants u a new combo.

so much stuff to play around with. :)

If you are ending in 33, you can land a df1. They can tech roll from either I think, so its just a way to get a bit more damage for the same set up.

I also recommend trying to option select this tech. Sometimes when I do the 13 corner set up, and they tech roll, it reads the attack 132 (and the oh 2 coincidentally becomes hard to block) so throwing in a left bumper click right after the fly cancel can help tack on more damage, if you are also running into this.

I do like the above, but I have been shifting away. Instead I jump over, reverse fly cancel. d+2 crosses up and puts you in the corner..... or d(THEN)2 leaves you on the outside, and your opponent in the corner.

Dr4che

i will fix the bug ;)
If you are ending in 33, you can land a df1. They can tech roll from either I think, so its just a way to get a bit more damage for the same set up.

I also recommend trying to option select this tech. Sometimes when I do the 13 corner set up, and they tech roll, it reads the attack 132 (and the oh 2 coincidentally becomes hard to block) so throwing in a left bumper click right after the fly cancel can help tack on more damage, if you are also running into this.

I do like the above, but I have been shifting away. Instead I jump over, reverse fly cancel. d+2 crosses up and puts you in the corner..... or d(THEN)2 leaves you on the outside, and your opponent in the corner.
df1 is way shorter then the 33 ender 13 after it will cross up and the reverse fly cancel if performed right will switch sides again and if u delay it will cross up so u decide on wich side ur on

df1 is way shorter then the 33 ender 13 after it will cross up and the reverse fly cancel if performed right will switch sides again and if u delay it will cross up so u decide on wich side ur on
I am saying that I usually do 33 df1. Are you saying that it doesn't give you the same cross up potential as just 33?

nah its just different i use them both
I would think you want to go for max damage, meaning 33 df1. Was just curious if there was a reason I shouldn't be doing that.

Also, since you got 400+ damage on that jump in wall combo I commented on, I encourage you to try this (I know, 'm repeating myself).

After putting them in the corner with a similar set up, jump over, reverse fly cancel, hit down, then hit 2 right after. Keeps your opponent sandwiched in the corner for that op wall combo. (or crosses up if you hit d+2) this has done me a lot of good.