What's new

Flawless block concern, how to fix it?

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
I realize it was technically a stress test and not part of the actual Beta....but come the fuck on people, Beta is exactly the time to bring up issues. Stop trying to shut down discourse if it's critical to the current state of the game as we've seen it. That's literally one of the primary features of pre game demos like this.
3 days isn't enough time to assess something. We didn't even have practice mode to properly go over every situation. Give it a month and people will find a way to punish it. If not then discuss changes. I find it funny there were complaints about nrs changing things too fast and now people want more changes before release. Theres no way to tell whether the game will stay the same before launch.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Not sure how I feel about this yet til the full game hits, or perhaps the preorder beta. If they took it out I wouldn't have an issue with it

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
3 days isn't enough time to assess something. We didn't even have practice mode to properly go over every situation. Give it a month and people will find a way to punish it. If not then discuss changes. I find it funny there were complaints about nrs changing things too fast and now people want more changes before release. Theres no way to tell whether the game will stay the same before launch.
Of course there's not. THAT'S THE POINT! It's a beta so there are likely obvious flaws. This is the time to talk about them, not after it's released.

If someone went into the balancing process before release with the mindset of wait and see for literally everything, which is tantamount to your position, then there would be no balancing process at all. Waiting to see is for the product on delivery. At this stage, you need to talk about whatever even might be suspect. I mean, if we had found option selects that broke offense, say allowing you to make your incredibly negative overhead safe, which results in the character having >50% entirely safe 50/50 mixups, should that not be talked about?

I mean, it definitely might've helped if someone mentioned it before Raiden went live in MK X. Which is just one of many OS's and a few infinites that had to be culled early on because it had no public beta to iron these things out at all. But nah, we should've let that rock until after EVO, definitely.

To reiterate, this is a communicative stage. When the game launches, I'll buckle down, grind, learn all possible counter play, let it marinate for bare minimum a month after I've done all that, and then maybe I'll think about saying X or Y thing is a problem, but until then if I see something potentially problematic, I'm going to talk about it because now is exactly the time to point out any red flags.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I think the fix is very, very easy actually. If it's a projectile, leave it as is. If it's a normal-

-it activates like a parry would. If you whiffed it that first time within those frames, there's a delay, and you very likely get hit by the opponent's follow up. If you timed it perfectly, you get the parry, FLB. Removes the OS aspect entirely, since you would have to purposely push Blk+U2 to activate, and adds a consequence for trying to game the system.

I don't like the mashing OS part. Done this way I have no issue whatsoever with it.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
Remove the launch aspect make those moves more negative on block like just guard in gear. So if a move is +1 it becomes -2 and ect.

methademic

UPR Methademic
It’s too good to be in the game. Instant launch, even though being hard to perform, is definitely gonna make a lot of people salty. I’ve seen Ketchup perform instant launch into 32% kombo with baraka. Two launches like that and one clean Fatal Blow ( i think everyone lands their FB) is a win.
Perfect block nullifies chip damage so mid projectiles won’t be a problem once people learn doing pb reflexively ( is that a word?).
Also Mustard said you’ve got about a frame or two to perform the launch, cause after that it can be blocked ( and probably punished).
I’m a scrub so everythink I say can be ignored by everyone though.
It's not hard to do though. No more hard than armoring gaps

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
from my own experience playing it i don't think that's that much of an issue but if it is just add in a 'lockout' period (maybe 1/2 second) after every block.
i think the real issue is it makes you scared to attack because technically any button you press up close is full combo punishable
That could work. Let's do that and keep it a 3 frame window.

LawAbidingCitizen

3 days is plenty of time to identify potential issues to the health of the game, especially when its so apparent.
You are absolutely right when you say we have the potential possibility of identifying issues with longevity of MK11 but I do agree we should shift this focus from quickly change game mechanics to let things ride and go from there.
I think we have been to haisty in the past. I mean look at MKX patch notes, clear problems caused by lack of thought. Buff this character, ohh shit let's Nerf it.
On top of that what was considered broke by the community on one character was viewed as fair on other characters by the same people.
Vortex's, HTBs, Frame Traps and Armored Launchers where removed from some characters but not all.

But I'm with the majority in that Breakaway and FB is a huge issue.

Depending on who you ask determines where the line is drawn and I often find it drawn in many different locations.

Last edited:

Alex_Smith

The artist formerly known as blueNINE.
This is one of the mechanics that is a potential possible concern. During the stress test beta, I only ever saw top players doing this, and even then, it was not to excess. If it ends up being too strong, perhaps the risk/reward could be altered by making attempting it cost meter (whenever U2 or U3 is pressed after block). It could also cause combos to prorate so that the reward wouldn't be so high.

Again, I see this only as something to watch, not something that for sure needs immediate change. We have another beta. I would love to see some location tests conducted so that this could be figured out before the game's release, and before the majors and tournament season are in full swing.

LawAbidingCitizen

This is one of the mechanics that is a potential possible concern. During the stress test beta, I only ever saw top players doing this, and even then, it was not to excess. If it ends up being too strong, perhaps the risk/reward could be altered by making attempting it cost meter (whenever U2 or U3 is pressed after block). It could also cause combos to prorate so that the reward wouldn't be so high.

Again, I see this only as something to watch, not something that for sure needs immediate change. We have another beta. I would love to see some location tests conducted so that this could be figured out before the game's release, and before the majors and tournament season are in full swing.
I agree, i have been an advocate of wait and see first before changing game mechanics.
The game has yet to be released and we have polls, of course we will all state our opinion in fear if the game being ruined and that's only natural. But why do we have polls, twitterlongs, this top players requests for change?

We had a 3 day Online Stress Test, without a Practice Mode! We couldn't even lab stuff up properly. Hell in previous games even with 30 days in lab we found a character wasn't bottom tier when the world thought it sucked simply from that month of lab time or that one post showing awesome Tek.
We should really tread carefully and wait to see how these mechanics play out.

At least no ones asking for character nerfs yet #ThankTheGods