What's new

Strategy Flashsies! Flash neutral game discussion (Footsies, spacing, meta)

The_SNKE

BLT | RM
Alright, I was gonna wait till I've earned some credibility via tournament placings and shit. But whatever, idgaf I wanna discuss some strat!

I want to hear others opinions on the following things:

1. What is (in your opinion) Flash's general neutral game mindset? What is YOUR goal of the match?

2. B22LK vs B22SP - What do you prefer in the neutral game and why?

3. 50/50 Town - How to get there, how to stay there, and at what cost? (I'll elaborate later)

Just picking up Flash?? Below are the Flash communities different takes on how his neutral game is played. Read them and see what suits your style Flash. Hope this helps!

The Flash Neutral Game according to:

BrobaChett:
My goal of the match is to carry you and keep you in the corner at all times. I'll use a lot of RMS cancels in to try and whiff punish someone if they're pushing buttons.
I usually use b22SP. A lot of the time I catch people off guard with it, i'll do a close sp after the b22 string and it somehow connects on people.

To successfully get in with pressure to apply 50/50's I basically use b22 rms cancels. Some people say this isn't real pressure and you can just jump out of it or back dash, but Flash has options to punish either of those things. How to stay there, I just keep adding the b22 rms cancel pressure continuously and try to make them guess wrong. I'll even not waste any meter into combos to do this if I have the life lead. Hit them with b22 rms cancel into d1d2 lk or f2 lk and continue until i'm close enough to the corner to trap them and use meter.

Overall I just try and make my opponent guess wrong a lot in the corner and that's really my main strategy when using this character.

AK Harold:
1. Neutral game for me is really minimizing how much damage I take before getting into a punishing area. At that point I prefer to counter attack for guaranteed damage. I use a lot of feints if they do not budge so that I can find a way in to chip them.

2. B22 RMSc, LK, LKc, Sp, Neutral, F3 all have the same value to me and I try my best to use each if I do B22.

3. Well timed jump in is an easy way. mbSP is actually easiest but uses meter. RMS run foward cancel to any of the aforementioned. Technically 1 mixup to a LK is all you need to close out a round unless you want to hoard meter. Because 1 lk combo = 15% 1 mb combo is 35% and 1 trait combo is 50+. so that is a kill. But if you go for a few mixups then you can use trait sparingly to get in,confuse, optimize stray hit damage, etc.

SEV:
1. Play footsies patiently walking them to the corner if possible and minimize damage taken while waiting for a punish or until the opponent goes negative to start reversal pressure.
2. Frame traps, LK cancels, Sonic Pound MB set ups, F3 MB, D1, and D12 + frames.

3. Ji2, cross up Ji3 set ups, cross up SP MB for a bar of meter, B22F3 SP in the corner for a bar of meter and possible cornering ourselves, and our regular frame traps.

Sid The Haze:
1. Well the neutral game for me is trying to start pressure before my opponent can get the ball rolling. uppercut any jump-in attempts, punish any laggy projectiles or moves (ex: aquaman's trident). pretty much i do everything in my power to not get hit and counter attack anything they try to hit me with.

2. When im not fighting the abundance of green lanterns we have in virginia and their godly 9-frame b1......i usually go for b22lk unless i know 100% im going to hit it or their in the corner. Its mostly cause im conditioned to do this, but while typing this i realized that sp on block is -0. meaning that if your opponent doesnt know to use their d1 to poke out our d1 will beat them out if they try to do any move that is 8 frame or higher and we can confirm this into our most damaging trait combo. (61% deal with it :cool:)

3. Lots of different ways to get to those 50/50's. We can do jump ins, b22RMSc, dashing in, hard knockdowns, etc. if i really want to stay in 50/50 range i usually blow a bar on a mb f3 so i dont have to worry about wake and i'm on advantage so i can go for another 50/50 and continue pressure.

TL;DR
1. punish moves
2. b22sp is good shit
3. flash can get in so many ways, pick your poison ;)

The_SNKE:
1. My game is mostly to get the opponent to hang themselves, but I don't mean in terms of punishment via combos or whatever... I talking mentally. To me, getting in with Flash isn't getting in their face, it's getting into that area where I'm too close for them to zone, and too far them to rush me down. I get to the space where I force them to play footsies, where I usually will get the first combo. At that point, I want them to come to me, as opposed to me chasing them down again. This also builds my trait back up, which is extremely vital in my game. I more or less exclusively use trait for more damage, because I love how afraid it makes the opponent. At that point is where I have the mental advantage. I also play very defensively, I don't even mind getting myself closer to the corner, because I know they're just a throw away from switching places with me.

2. I pretty much never use SP. It's just a little too YOLO for me (even though it's not THAT yolo) and I'm pretty stingy with my meter so I don't like using it out of nowhere. Also, being able hit/charge confirm B22 LK is ALL I need to convince me to never use SP in footsies. Also, if I commit to B22 SP trait and they block all of it and I go into trait, it's a moral loss for me since I feel I wasted my trait.

3. This is also something I don't use as much as I see other Flash players using. I know 50/50 town is the best town to be, but with Flash, you have to be pretty close to get to that range, which will give you more of a chance of getting punished than hanging back a little bit. Since I usually have the life lead, getting into the 50/50 range isn't as important to me as getting them to try to even out the life lead. BUT in corner is where I love the 50/50 stuff. Also, the meterless vortex (F2LK or D1D2LK) after a meterless LK on hit is something I like to do in order to save some meter and annoy the shit out of the opponent. It's also a great way to get someone to clash, where I'll usually have the meter advantage, so I still win :).

As for getting there, I'd say to limit your forward dashes, because people expect you to keep dashing in. RMS is also awesome for getting into that footsie range (As Harold does extremely well), you can mix it with going all the way in into a 50/50 as well and that can get scary for them.

Also, something on getting in on zoners that I want to bring up. I think a lot of Flash players get really stuck on using shake to get past zoning specific characters when I feel there's a better option. Flash has one of the fastest (if not the fastest) jumps in the game. He leaves the ground SUPER fast. For example, against Superman, you can just keep jumping forward on reaction to all of his zoning. If you see that animation he does (the head nod) just jump forward. If he jumps and dashes back, then you can pretty much dash in twice and you're good. Against Batman's batarangs (and MB batarangs) J3 is awesome because it raises Flash's legs up and you can avoid the MB explosion if you time your jumps well. IMO using his jumps can be better because shake doesn't carry you forward at all but his jumps do.

Discuss!

@AK Harold
@Zyphox
@SEV
@BrobaChett
@WITNESS
@LEGEND
@BoricuaHeat
@Folux182
@SidTheHaze
@Jim

Last edited:

BrobaChett

GODSTOMPER
My goal of the match is to carry you and keep you in the corner at all times. I'll use a lot of RMS cancels in to try and whiff punish someone if they're pushing buttons.

I usually use b22SP. A lot of the time I catch people off guard with it, i'll do a close sp after the b22 string and it somehow connects on people.

To successfully get in with pressure to apply 50/50's I basically use b22 rms cancels. Some people say this isn't real pressure and you can just jump out of it or back dash, but Flash has options to punish either of those things. How to stay there, I just keep adding the b22 rms cancel pressure continuously and try to make them guess wrong. I'll even not waste any meter into combos to do this if I have the life lead. Hit them with b22 rms cancel into d1d2 lk or f2 lk and continue until i'm close enough to the corner to trap them and use meter.

Overall I just try and make my opponent guess wrong a lot in the corner and that's really my main strategy when using this character.

P.S. i'm free to mirror matches. Fighting yourself really fucking sucks.

We shouldn't worry bout the placings etc. We all have legitimate strategy and experience that we can share as we practice with very different people.

1. Neutral game for me is really minimizing how much damage I take before getting into a punishing area. At that point I prefer to counter attack for guaranteed damage. I use a lot of feints if they do not budge so that I can find a way in to chip them.

2. B22 RMSc, LK, LKc, Sp, Neutral, F3 all have the same value to me and I try my best to use each if I do B22.

3. Well timed jump in is an easy way. mbSP is actually easiest but uses meter. RMS run foward cancel to any of the aforementioned. Technically 1 mixup to a LK is all you need to close out a round unless you want to hoard meter. Because 1 lk combo = 15% 1 mb combo is 35% and 1 trait combo is 50+. so that is a kill. But if you go for a few mixups then you can use trait sparingly to get in,confuse, optimize stray hit damage, etc.

Thats all I can think of right now, I could elaborate on all of the above but it would be a stupid long post and probably bore most people on tym haha.

SEV

Noob
1. Play footsies patiently walking them to the corner if possible and minimize damage taken while waiting for a punish or until the opponent goes negative to start reversal pressure.

2. Frame traps, LK cancels, Sonic Pound MB set ups, F3 MB, D1, and D12 + frames.

3. Ji2, cross up Ji3 set ups, cross up SP MB for a bar of meter, B22F3 SP in the corner for a bar of meter and possible cornering ourselves, and our regular frame traps.

And yeah, Flash mirrors be lame.

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
1. Well the neutral game for me is trying to start pressure before my opponent can get the ball rolling. uppercut any jump-in attempts, punish any laggy projectiles or moves (ex: aquaman's trident). pretty much i do everything in my power to not get hit and counter attack anything they try to hit me with.

2. When im not fighting the abundance of green lanterns we have in virginia and their godly 9-frame b1......i usually go for b22lk unless i know 100% im going to hit it or their in the corner. Its mostly cause im conditioned to do this, but while typing this i realized that sp on block is -0. meaning that if your opponent doesnt know to use their d1 to poke out our d1 will beat them out if they try to do any move that is 8 frame or higher and we can confirm this into our most damaging trait combo. (61% deal with it :cool:)

3. Lots of different ways to get to those 50/50's. We can do jump ins, b22RMSc, dashing in, hard knockdowns, etc. if i really want to stay in 50/50 range i usually blow a bar on a mb f3 so i dont have to worry about wake and i'm on advantage so i can go for another 50/50 and continue pressure.

TL;DR
1. punish moves
2. b22sp is good shit
3. flash can get in so many ways, pick your poison ;)

I'd actually like to read your all's posts about this. After going back to AE and instantly gravitating to Makato I think I've realized Flash may be my character.

The_SNKE

BLT | RM
So many varied answers, it's pretty awesome. I'm gonna put all of these in the OP so that way new players can just conveniently go through them and pick and choose what they like.

Anyway, here's my take:

1. My game is mostly to get the opponent to hang themselves, but I don't mean in terms of punishment via combos or whatever... I talking mentally. To me, getting in with Flash isn't getting in their face, it's getting into that area where I'm too close for them to zone, and too far them to rush me down. I get to the space where I force them to play footsies, where I usually will get the first combo. At that point, I want them to come to me, as opposed to me chasing them down again. This also builds my trait back up, which is extremely vital in my game. I more or less exclusively use trait for more damage, because I love how afraid it makes the opponent. At that point is where I have the mental advantage. I also play very defensively, I don't even mind getting myself closer to the corner, because I know they're just a throw away from switching places with me.

2. I pretty much never use SP. It's just a little too YOLO for me (even though it's not THAT yolo) and I'm pretty stingy with my meter so I don't like using it out of nowhere. Also, being able hit/charge confirm B22 LK is ALL I need to convince me to never use SP in footsies. Also, if I commit to B22 SP trait and they block all of it and I go into trait, it's a moral loss for me since I feel I wasted my trait.

3. This is also something I don't use as much as I see other Flash players using. I know 50/50 town is the best town to be, but with Flash, you have to be pretty close to get to that range, which will give you more of a chance of getting punished than hanging back a little bit. Since I usually have the life lead, getting into the 50/50 range isn't as important to me as getting them to try to even out the life lead. BUT in corner is where I love the 50/50 stuff. Also, the meterless vortex (F2LK or D1D2LK) after a meterless LK on hit is something I like to do in order to save some meter and annoy the shit out of the opponent. It's also a great way to get someone to clash, where I'll usually have the meter advantage, so I still win :).

As for getting there, I'd say to limit your forward dashes, because people expect you to keep dashing in. RMS is also awesome for getting into that footsie range (Harold does this extremely well), you can mix it with going all the way in into a 50/50 as well and that can get scary for them.

Also, something on getting in on zoners that I want to bring up. I think a lot of Flash players get really stuck on using shake to get past zoning specific characters when I feel there's a better option. Flash has one of the fastest (if not the fastest) jumps in the game. He leaves the ground SUPER fast. For example, against Superman, you can just keep jumping forward on reaction to all of his zoning. If you see that animation he does (the head nod) just jump forward. If he jumps and dashes back, then you can pretty much dash in twice and you're good. Against Batman's batarangs (and MB batarangs) J3 is awesome because it raises Flash's legs up and you can avoid the MB explosion if you time your jumps well. IMO using his jumps can be better because shake doesn't carry you forward at all but his jumps do.

EDIT:
OP updated with everyone's answers. Let's get all the other Flash's talking so we can have an encyclopedia of this stuff and level this character up!

Last edited: