What's new

Fix Blue Beetle's Hitboxes... PLEASE.

AkioOf100

I play Raph
I want to start off by saying I love blue beetle. He's my favorite character in the game and is my current main. I think he gets good damage (aside from a few strings, but theyre redundant anyway so why use them), I think he has amazing setups, great pressure, etc. But some things are just unethical about him.

His normals are stubby outside of trait and that is supposed to be his drawback, which makes sense. They aren't supposed to have much range and he's supposed to be flying around, zoning, trying to open his opponent up with air normals or, if he finds his turn, an overhead or low. (aside from his sweep)

With trait, all of this is supposed to be mitigated. This trait, in theory is awesome, completely balanced, and makes Blue Beetle by far one of the most balanced characters in this game.

BUT.. There are a LOT of strings that he has that have gaps in them, which is normal for a character, but within those strings, there are also hitbox issues that will cause some hits to miss (even if they are mid).

111 has issues landing the final hit on female characters. The second hit will whiff on all characters at optimal range. And with trait, using 111 is basically useless at max range because the second hit whiffs. But that's okay because you're not aiming to use your legs, you're aiming to use the power blades. BUT .. female characters and some male characters (Robin, Flash) can low profile the second hit with a sweep or a low hitting normal like Flash's d12.

13 is a great string because it cancels into flying scarab and can be further canceled into an air normal for mixups and pressure (or into a slightly forward movement for a 50/50 crossup or non crossup starter). But, the second hit of 13 (the "3" portion) can be low profiled by female characters and can be punished for a full combo. The beetle must either finish the string (on some characters.. that it actually works against) or fly back to avoid being punished for using one of his best mid attacks. It's ridiculous.

21 misses the second hit at times, even with trait, on block, on hit, and even in its most optimal ranges. It's ridiculous because that's his only plus string (not counting flight cancel pressure). It misses female characters all the time, like the full string.

Standing 2 misses if anybody sweeps in the cast or does a low profiling move. Period. Which is stupid. It's a mid.

back 1, standing 3 and 33 are pretty consistent so no complaints there.

His j2 has an AWFUL hitbox unless you're literally right on top of them from the FRONT, which makes no sense. J1 has an even worse hitbox, especially with trait. It increases the range but the hitbox is so random that it's barely worth using at times. You can't link 13 flightcancel j1 off of a jump in a lot of the time, which is a really important combo starter for beetle in trait.

Again, I really love the way he plays and I love a lot of what this game brings. But I really think his hitboxes need some help so they can be more consistent, the way they did Robin in the last patch. The female hitbox rant is definitely for another topic xD.

No disrespect, but I kinda disagree with a lot of this. I just want 111 to connect even in trait.

And, I want traited f2 to hit people in the air, even at peak jump height. Sometimes they are just high enough to avoid the anti air properties

AkioOf100

I play Raph
No disrespect, but I kinda disagree with a lot of this. I just want 111 to connect even in trait.

And, I want traited f2 to hit people in the air, even at peak jump height. Sometimes they are just high enough to avoid the anti air properties
What do you disagree with?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.

I'm not sure what there is to disagree with here? No disrespect or anything meant, just dont understand. Ive only been messing with Beetle a short time and Ive already seen some of his whiffing issues.. I dont see why anyone would disagree with whiffing issues being fixed - it's not a buff or anything, its just fixing what amount to bugs. (something something pun, cause I said bug, and hes a beetle, and.. christ Ive been awake too long)

go look at fire storm and manta. Not every character is designed to cross up with j2. The hit box on that is working as nrs intended IMO. and 21 is pretty damn oppressive right now as is imo. Theres just a bit of finesse here.

Id rather them fix shieldbash whiffing ducking canary, than rework his main tools as mentioned above.

AkioOf100

I play Raph
go look at fire storm and manta. Not every character is designed to cross up with j2. The hit box on that is working as nrs intended IMO. and 21 is pretty damn oppressive right now as is imo. Theres just a bit of finesse here.

Id rather them fix shieldbash whiffing ducking canary, than rework his main tools as mentioned above.
Of course but when you're whiffing a j2 in someone's face when the animation is showing that the foot is actually inside of them then it's an issue. I don't mind not landing the crossup every time so long as the animation doesn't disagree with the result.

21 is, on paper, super oppressive. But 15 frames for +2 with inconsistent hit boxes is an issue that needs to be fixed. I just want the hitbox to be fixed, not buffed, not for it to hit everywhere. Just where it's supposed to hit.

And I'm not saying hit hitboxes ALWAYS whiff, I'm just saying that they have instances where they SHOULD hit but they don't because they have issues landing in their intended range.