What's new

General/Other - Jason Voorhees First week with unstoppable and Relentless thoughts

First of all this discussion is just about fun factor or solid player choices and not a tier discussion. I am looking into Jason either as an alt or for fun casuals. What drew me to Jason was essentially his interesting design choices for both Unstoppable and Relentless.

Unstoppable.

Resurrection: If Jason loses his life bar he spends all his meter to come back to life. Very cool idea. Would you guys like this better if you could choose to use this or not? Also how do you guys treat breaker with this variation? Does this variation free up Jason from ever using breaker? Or are breaker choices just different?

Punishment: Damage boost for like 4 seconds. This one is a little disappointing to me. We will most likely activate this full screen and we get 4 seconds to apply some damage. We have a slow move speed and no true 50/50s to open an opponent up. The rare times I actually do land a combo with this buff on the duration ends during the combo and the extra damage falls off.
- Should this move instead be a meter build over time move? Jason needs meter so much in this variation I think I would use this a lot more if it built meter.

Rise: Self healing. I like this one much better than punishment because it is almost always useful, unless of course you are full health. Should overhealing be converted into meter build? Or would that take away the choice to ever use punishment?

The strengths overall in Unstoppable that I like are that both punishment and rise are much easier to pull of due to their short startup time compared to pursuit in Relentless. You get rewarded for landing a combo with an almost guaranteed use of one of those moves.

Relentless.

Pursuit: You disorient your opponent. This move is so cool. I understand that if it had a shorter startup it could possibly be broken. Again my main problem is that in Unstoppable I always feel I can do something after a combo, where in relentless sometimes I am doing nothing afterwards.

I guess Jason's teleport is something I can do after landing a combo but I feel like I get blown up most of the time for attempting this.

Lastly his passive damage stacks are a really cool idea in this variation and I like it so much more than Punishment in the other variation. Mainly because it is guaranteed damage buff through the whole match and I don't have to rush to open up the opponent.

Final thoughts TLDR:

Unstoppable:
  • Unstoppable should have the choice to resurrect or not
  • Punishment should either last longer, or be changed to meter build over time
  • Rises self healing should overheal and build meter if that happens.
  • I like the feeling that I can choose my buff after a combo without penalty compared to Relentless
Relentless:

• Pursuit is an amazing move that is a lot of fun. I just wish Relentless had more choices after landing a combo like Unstoppable has.
  • Teleport is an option after a combo, but overall feels a little too slow.
  • His passive damage stacks are a lot of fun. Even more proof that Punishment in Unstoppable should be changed to something else.
What do you guys think?

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
I think unstoppable is the most fun I have playing Jason healing and resurrection can really get your opponents frustrated I find I only use meter for the clothesline I try to avoid breaker because I'm getting back up anyway. I like the idea of changing dd3 to a meter gain move instead would really synergize well with this variation.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Ending a combo with teleport is generally a bad idea because you lose corner positioning. Relentless has great corner carry, so you probably want to keep them there. He has decent wakeup stuffing capability with f4~choke, so that is something you can do after a combo. Set your position so that you are almost max range f4 distance. If you can get them to respect that, you might be able to throw in an occasional f3 to mix them up.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Great post.

Unstoppable: Still my favorite variation in the game conceptually, but he definitely needs help. I basically agree with your assessment of his tools and suggested changes. My precise changes would be -

1) Allow the player to choose whether or not to activate Resurrection (Virtually all Jason players agree here)

2) Punishment's duration should be doubled, at the very minimum.

3) ex-Rise should do 8%-10% of healing, instead of the standard 5% (If ex-Punishment gets to do more damage than its standard version, I don't see why ex-Rise should not get more healing than its standard version)

4) You can replace any of the above three suggestions by simply giving him Killing Machine.

Relentless: His best overall variation. Probably fine as is. I just wish he didn't get low-profiled quite as much as he does.

Slasher needs help too. He gets low profiled worse than both unstoppable and relentless. Even with these problems, I still believe Jason is viable for tournament play.

Something universal is probably altering and lowering the hitbox of choke and command grab to catch low profiles. And a faster poke please.

And specific stuff I would like is for slasher to have a farther extending BF2 so F2~BF2 connects max distance. Unstoppable should get something like killing machine, or damage and healing buff to last longer. The option to select resurrection would be nice too. Relentless doesn't need much besides the universal buffs I mentioned above.