What's new

First Patch Wishlist

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
For now, I'm only gonna talk about changes to the top 5, and universal QOL changes to the game. I'm gonna list the universal changes I want and talk about why afterward in a listed order. I want to put it all this way... I've accepted this game for what it is, but it doesn't mean I don't want it to become what it was intended to be. This game could be cleaner, more competitive and better. So with that said, my universal and top 5 changes aim to basically accomplish 3 things here.

1: Bring the top 5 not down, but force them to have to work around the unique systems (wakeup/flawless block) more and respect the options.

2: Remove the jank.

3: Establish a character trend foundation all balance can work off of for the future of the game.

Universal Changes I want:

1: U2 damage to be buffed and for wakeup U2 auto correct to be buffed

2: Dash blocking removed, or at least delay the timing before someone can block.

3: All the whiffing/hitbox issues addressed. This includes nerfing the insane hitboxes like Sonya's super hitting on both sides etc.

4: All s1 and low profiling crouch button anti airs to be removed.

5: Breakaway is still fucked

1 - U2 damage buffed/Wakeup U2 auto correct buffed:

I've said it before, but I basically think U2's are not only useless, they don't offer the reward for the cost AND the read you're making. Right now U2's currently do 6-7%. I want U2's to do 15%. 150 Damage. Period. Breakaway also makes success with these an absolutely shitty trade off. Most people have a breakaway to spend once you actually hit these. They just aren't worth it right now. I also think how easily these can be jumped over on knockdown is a problem. I'd like to see everyones U2's get increased auto correct so people can't just +15 splat into hop over every time. Although if these received the damage buff I mentioned, maybe you don't need to do this since now a crossup meaty jump in would take a big risk because it could be flawless block launched.

2 - Removing Dash Blocking:

This needs to go. It needs to go. It needs to fucking go. I'm so tired of people talking about "free movement" and shit in this game. This is not free movement. It destroys the neutral footsie based foundation of the game. You CANNOT. CANNOT. Play footsies against the really good wavedashers in this game. It's safe uncheckable forward movement because they're usually in a block state that kara's what are intended to be only slightly forward advancing into fucking gigantic buttons. The ONLY REASON, I'M TELLING YOU GUYS, THE ONLY REASON characters like Sub and Sonya are as good as they are is because they have what virtually amounts to a resourceless run. If they didn't have this movement, they'd EARN their neutral wins. Right now characters like Sonya, Sub, Johnny and Liu can just encroach on you almost risk free. Movement should never be almost risk free.

3 and 4 - Addressing hitbox/whiffing issues and removing s1 and low profiling crouch normal anti airs:

The first part of this is obvious right? It's just a matter of consistency. You want to be able to rely on a string working 100% of the time the way it should, or be able to play the neutral by visually confirming what you're looking at as literally as possible.

A lot of people however I think will complain about the latter part. I have to assume objections to this are going to be rooted in both MK9 nostalgia and people who suck at making reads on jumps. I HIGHLY disagree with the idea of the s1 anti air or crouch normals that anti air because they low profile. One is a very low skill cap high reward fuck jumps tool and the other type COMPLETELY removes jumping at all from the game. There's this weird misconception in the NRS community that other games have easy reactable anti airs and that as such MK or Injustice should conform to the same standard. This is false. A lot of people also conveniently forget that jab anti air was the most complained about thing in SFV at it's time, it didn't require a read. It threw your opponent into a 50/50. It destroyed the balance of of the zoning in that game cause zoners especially, could throw a projectile, you jump it and they still had the time to anti air s1 you. In this game s1 anti airs get you MORE REWARD than that. You get a full combo that's usually safe against breakaway, 24%+ damage AND oki. D2's should be the DP of this game. Single hit, chunk of damage and reliable on reads.

The low profiling anti airs are worse of course. You just can't jump. It's always reactable. Options that ENTIRELY remove other options from a fighting game shouldn't exist. So this means Sonya's d1 has to go etc. Nerf these hitbox/hurtbox combinations.

5 - Breakaway needs addressing

At the end of the day, this is still a shitty mechanic that allows people to intentionally make stupid yolo decisions on a read and opt out. For now, I'm ready to say it. One breakaway per match. That's it. If that doesn't happen, we need to develop anti-breakaway rules into the game. The obvious ones IMO are that you can't breakaway KB's that launch and U2's. Wakeup or FB. I'd take either one of these.

So let's talk character changes. I'll try to provide my explanation behind my changes.

Geras:

f212 is -7 and flawless blockable on the last hit. Other characters have to risk this for similar tools, so should he. f21 should be safe.

Sand Trap should be -30 on block. It controls neutral so well. Make him have to call you out instead of this being a braindead check.

This is actually all I'd do to him.

Sonya:

b123 is a dial up string that has to be committed to. This character should not have staggerable mix.

Remove the bf1 MB krushing blow from Ring Master.

Erron Black:

f4 is consistently flawless block U2-able. The MB followup is -15.

21212 is flawless blockable on the last hit and button punishable.

dd3 has slower startup and the gunshot is a high.

Sub Zero:

Sub is fine as is if dash blocking is nerfed/removed.

Scorpion:

Can't MB teleport on block. People keep crying despite this being OS-able so just give them what they want.

Make b141 special cancelable. This string is pointless right now.

Buff the damage on Reborn's air throw and give it absolute air to air priority.

Those are my thoughts.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
1. add all tutorial mode funtionalities to training mode:
a) Add demo to the movelist in training mode (this includes dial string demos, special move demos)
b) add the ability to swap command history with the training mode command hud.

2. Add a fuction to watch us play and then mimicks our playstyle so we can use our own ghost in training mode or AI battle.

Chernyy Volk

a) Add demo to the movelist in training mode (this includes dial string demos, special move demos)

2. Add a fuction to watch us play and then mimicks our playstyle so we can use our own ghost in training mode or AI battle.
Hard agree.

Chernyy Volk

Cherny, I don't always agree with you, but it seems as though you put a great deal of thought into what It think is very reasonable list.

Right now sub zero's oppression is a result of his s tier level wave dash. Remove that and he's fine.

Scorpion to me has not been a problem character since release at all. I never really have problem against them. The only nerf I would recommend is what you suggested.

Sonya I don't think is actually all that good, and people and it's been fairly easy to poke her out of pressure.

Geras and Erron black just need to be more punishable like you suggested, but these two are in a tier above the other three.
On the note of Sonya, I think the problem is it's just a matter of what top players are capable of doing versus what people below that level are consistent with. If you fight a Sonya who consistently jails b1 off of d3 on hit it's fucking GG's most of the time. High skill cap thing to do, but you get fucked up if someone knows how. There's also still the 50% in the corner off an unreactable 50/50 part and her having also an S tier wave dash AND the best fireball in the game.

Chernyy Volk

On the note of Scorpion, I just don't see how the REO crew considers him braindead when Liu Kang's f4 is the only button you need to press. Leave Scorpion alone for the most part.
Scorpion needs an 11f mid. I'd like to see B2 be that.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
In addition to OP’s suggestions:

Hop attack triggers Krushing Blow when punishing whiffed throws
- Currently, there’s little incentive to hop or use hop attacks. Throws however are quite powerful. Reading an attempt with a hop should yield more of a reward, incentivize the mechanic, and shift a bit of power away from throws.

Krushing Blows disable air breakaway
- This would add value to KBs that launch as well as the kharacters that have access to them. KBs are clearly meant to be a spectacle, so let them be a spectacle as a devastating kombo starter. In exchange, launching KBs would have their base damage reduced but improved damage scaling.

Rework Get Up option accessibility
- Players are frequently frustrated by varying get-up timings resulting in unwanted jumps, normals, and stance switches. New get up inputs would be HOLD stance switch left/ right to roll. HOLD up+2/ up+3 to access get up attacks. HOLD down+ stance switch for delayed wake up.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
  1. Fix Wakeup U2 for Kitana, Jade and Skarlet so it isn't a t-rex limb.
  2. Make strings honest instead of dial nonsense

^ This.

CliffP

Noob
I'm gonna need to see some ranked leaderboard receipts with these patch discussions.

Cause idk how you can think that burning all someone's defensive meter off of uppercut KB's are a bad thing.

Different jump-in's have different hitboxes. If you're going for JiP's every time and getting jabbed that's on you. If your pressure is weak enough that every single jump is stuffed then that's also on you.

Ayx

Omnipresent
LMFAO @ Scorpion buffs. The character is fine right now. His mobility has huge variety in mind games, his KBs are almost too easy to access for a character of his archtype and his buttons aren't terrible. He should remain as-is until the meta evolves defensive option wise and see how it goes.

Having S1 as an anti-air is by design for some characters. Cetrion's S1 is crucial because her D2 is hilariously bad. Basically straight vertical hitbox making even KB uppercut punishes whiff, her recovery is so long you can take a trip to 7-11 buy a slurpee and maybe she's done recovering and without S1 we'd be borderline forced to use Natural Barrier which would make Komp Var #1 even more useless than it already is.

Hit boxes being modified? We've been dealing w/ janky hitboxes since UMK3 female ninjas (maybe even earlier, didn't play komp MK before that.) and that's part of the game.

I play Cetrion and even I know if there's no wave dash blocking she would become S tier. it's the only option for a lot of characters especially when the player respects Cetrion too much and is afraid to do something else to move in.

I think you're putting too much weight on breakaways. Yeah they're frustrating but now instead of 40 different defensive getup options they have they only have slow or normal getup which you can practice setups for. Some characters really excel because for 1 offense bar (in most cases) they have to burn both def. bars. Meaning one good setup and they eat that 1 off bar combo completely. I don't think it's terrible when you have chars like Sonya who w/ one string and meter does 32%+ and Scorpion can do 40% w/ KBs.